AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt see a thread for this specific model, just other versions like the 550 and 650 and 860. I just picked this up on friday and wanted to share my experience over the weekend as well as ask a couple questions.

official site for PN50B560: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...PN50B560T5FXZA

First off, I originally had a Panasonic 42" plasma (pz77u or something like that). bought it nov '07. i really liked it. ive since moved to a house and felt like i needed to get something to fill the room a little more. decided a 50" was big enough without looking too big (i do sit relatively close at about 10ft from the screen). i had it narrowed down to another panny (the S1) or the sammy (the 560). i liked the red ToC on the sammy 650 more but the price difference didnt justify the upgrade. aside from the ToC, i only saw ethernet connector and higher dynamic contrast as difference. again, for me, not a deal breaker. comparing in store, they looked identical in picture quality. the sammy looked better than the panny next to it in the store. my only concern was the infamous buzz everyone talks about. after reading that thread i had to go see if my current panny buzzed and whatdayaknow, it does.... when the room is absolutely silent. during normal viewing cant hear it. since i never noticed this buzz in 2.5 years i figured i'd take a chance. so far, the b560 does buzz but i only notice it when all sound is off. during normal viewing i dont notice it.

Ive set my b560 to use the default "move mode" and i gotta say the picture is fantastic. im amazed at how much better this is than my old panny. i used the default "standard" on the panny as the "movie" mode i found too dim. gotta say, i definitely got my money's worth.

the screen is a bit more reflective than my old panny but some new drapes over the blinds fixed that up. the blinds were a mildly annoying on the panny which had a much more matte screen coating but were highly annoying on the glossier sammy.

So far in my few hours of use, i've played some PS3 (rockband). image retention (IR) is similar to my old panny. im assuming it will get better over time, if not, its not really that bad. i did a break-in on the panny when i bought it but i honestly dont think it did squat. still got temporary IR in some games and in 4:3 content. always went away though. i decided to skip the breakin on the sammy and its performing the same as the old panny. works for me. the built-in IR screen wipe option is kinda neat. scrolling black and white bars to "wipe" the IR away.

ive seen a thread about the cinema smooth not working right for some. i have my option set to auto (default setting) and watching a bluray the tv reports 24hz which i assume is the correct functionality of cinema smooth. i havent read the manual yet. i dont see any increase in brightness like some report. is this how cinema smooth works? normally i see 60hz on everything else.

my old panny had an hdmi 1 and 2 setting that was basically overscan and 1:1 pixel mapping respectively. i couldnt find a similar setting on the sammy but i did discover by accident that the default picture size (p.size button on remote) of 16:9 appears to be overscan. there is another picture size (cant recall off the top of my head) that appears may be doing 1:1 mapping. again, havent read the manual. i also havent verified if this picture size setting works on an input by input basis. my panny was, so i had to set a macro on my harmony to enable 1:1 when i was on the PS3 and overscan when watching tv. im hoping its set per input so i dont have to change it all the time. need to play with this still. this was just something that i thought of as i was typing this out.

anyway, i really like this TV and dont regret the purchase one bit. the picture is simply fantastic. much better than my older set.

a note for harmony remote users, the 560 doesnt seem to be in the database yet. the harmony software was asking me to learn the IR commands and no matter what i did, i could not get it to learn any keys. the harmony wouldnt pick up any IR from the sammy remote. i ended up using the 550 settings which were in the database and everything seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if anyone cares, i guess the cinema smooth does NOT work correctly. while i do have it set to Auto, when the bluray starts and the tv swtiches to 24hz, i can go back to the cinema smooth setting and it is now set to off (it changes on its own). auto is grayed out. on does in fact cause the brightness or gamma or something to increase a lot. everything is washed out. oh well.

still need to read the manual but i guess im not sure of the benefit of running it at 24hz vs 60hz. and wtf is up with the 600hz stuff in the marketing of plasmas now? i have yet to see the tv show anything higher than 60hz

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anybody have some calibration settings for this beast yet?

I'm having a hard time finding quite a few of the settings that you are describing, Turbo. "move mode" where is that? For pictur emodes, I only see "Dynamic, Standard, Movie." Unless you meant "MOVIE MODE?" (typo?)

I can't even find Cinema mode (lol) and I'm trying to learn how to change the input (1080i / 720p, can I do this or do I just get what my STB offers (1080i)?)

I'll try out a different viewing mode. I'm currently using 16:9 and I'm watching History Channel HD and it's a bit grainy when compared to the high def stuff ABC Warehouse was running.

Any hints/tips for a newbie calibrator with his first HDTV?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'll give this a shot here...

i noticed that when watching sports on tv and the camera goes from the gameplay camera to showing a picture of the coaches, the screen seems to jump up in brightness, then it'll go down a bit and stay there. its almost as if theres and auto-brightness feature or something. I have all of the enhancements off (black level, dynamic contrast, etc). its hooked up to the cable box via HDMI running 720p. i dont watch TOO much tv, so i cant really compare it w/ a movie or other tv shows or anything just yet, its fairly new to me, i picked it up on xmas eve.

i also have a screen flicker periodically while playing NHL 10 on the xbox 360, hooked up via component cables running 1080p. obviously thats a mostly white screen when this happens. its different than the above

1 - 5 of 5 Posts