AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a complete newbie, and am trying to figure out which TV to buy. I'm looking at the Samsung LN52B610 (LCD) vs. the Samsung PN50B650. They are essentially the same price, although the appeal of the LN is that I can buy it at Costco and get a 2 yr guarantee. I'll be watching in a room that's moderately bright during the day, watching HD cable, Blu-Ray and upconverted DVD's, and streaming Netflix. I watch some sports. I'm very fussy about picture quality, particularly whether or not color looks natural, and if the image is sharp. I've definitely been leaning toward plasma, which seems to me to have a much sharper, truer picture, but there's the buzzing worry with them, plus there's that good Costco guarantee. Thoughts? (I hope to buy tomorrow.)

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Viewing angle? Flash-lighting in corners? 2 LCD issues.

I own both a LN40B650 and a couple of current plasmas, and the plasmas win in my eyes hands down. Don't get me wrong the LCD looks fine, as long as I'm centered on the screen, and I do have some minor flash-lighting in the corners. I've tamed the crappy motion settings so the image does not look fake, the Sammys have 2 controls you can adjust as you like. My main plasma a PN50A650 is in a very bright room, and I have no issues during the day.

You can pick up a cheap aftermarket warranty on the plasma...

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
plasma all the way, unless you got outdoor light conditions in the room a plasma will be bright enough

plasma will beat the LCD in every other respect

·
Registered
284 Posts
I own a LCD and a plasma and have no reason to "lobby". I always tell people to trust their eyes, buy what your eyes like best and be sure you can live with each type's limitations and shortcomings.

I have to admit that both are excellent and both have their pros and cons but for my needs in each particular room they work. It's hard to compare really but the one issue that wouldnt work for me where the plasma is situated was the viewing angle. I do not like the shallow viewing angle on LCD sets. I cannot tolerate a drop in contrast and colour levels when viewing off axis. That angle can get quite extreme in my main viewing room since it has a wide variety of seating all over the room. The tv has to adapt to the room rather than the room adapt to the tv. LCD's typically give a high viewing angle spec but it's bs and not sure how they get away with it. Not all LCD's are created equal, some are better than others at angle viewing. Plasma's viewing angle spec is irrelevant since it looks the same from any angle, even the extreme.

I fought with the decision and chose plasma for that location and as well I was leaning towards liking the plasma type picture better. So, the leaning led to falling and I bought a plasma for my main viewing tv and my eyes honestly enjoy the plasma picture more. If you're leaning towards one or the other, go with your gut feeling. Any modern decent quality tv will look great so dont get too caught up in the LCD vs Plasma thing. I'm happy with my choice and could care less what someone's opinion is, it works for my eyes and my situation.

I can add that for the price, it seems to be that plasma inch for inch is cheaper. That seems to be because to get a really good quality picture on an LCD, it has to be an upper, higher priced model. I typically found that mid range plasma easily blows away an LCD in the same price range but as you look at the pricier LCD sets that gap becomes smaller.

BTW, I have a Samsung plasma, it does not buzz and glare is not an issue for me.

Go with your gut feeling and good luck. Now is a great time to get deals on the 09 sets as well so get out there and do it!

I had found this article helpful when I was deciding:
http://www.*******************.com/p...ma-vs-lcd.html

Ok, this wont work, woohoo for censorship

1 - 5 of 5 Posts