AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by video3006 /forum/post/20850351

Buying a 50/51" plasma and narrowed it down to Samsung D7000 vs Pan GT30(unless there is a better recommendation. Which one should I choose and why?

Thanks

Both are very good sets. Each has some issues (Samsung - screen peeling; Panasonic-fluctuating brightness), but fixes are available from each company. Each of the problems is well documented in various threads, as well as the high PQ of each set.

Which one you should choose is impossible for any of us to say, as it's a matter of personal preference, and any recommendation would be merely opinions from a bunch of people you don't know. In other words, this is not a situation in which one set has serious issues that you should avoid. The current state is that both are very good sets and, again, which one you choose is a matter of personal preference.

So . . . , by reading this forum and looking at the sets in person, you should be able to make the right choice for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty /forum/post/20853149

Both are very good sets. Each has some issues (Samsung - screen peeling; Panasonic-fluctuating brightness), but fixes are available from each company. Each of the problems is well documented in various threads, as well as the high PQ of each set.

Which one you should choose is impossible for any of us to say, as it's a matter of personal preference, and any recommendation would be merely opinions from a bunch of people you don't know. In other words, this is not a situation in which one set has serious issues that you should avoid. The current state is that both are very good sets and, again, which one you choose is a matter of personal preference.

So . . . , by reading this forum and looking at the sets in person, you should be able to make the right choice for you.

I'm having this same exact question (51D7000 v. 50GT30). I think I am comfortable now with the FB situation (new builds don't have it) and the other threads seem to indicate that Samsung has fixed the peeling issue on new builds as well - but I haven't seen as much chatter about that.

Is it true that the screen peeling issue appears to be resolved on D7000s built in August?

·
Registered
863 Posts

Quote:
Is it true that the screen peeling issue appears to be resolved on D7000s built in August?

Whether it is or not, seems likely that sets with August manufacturing dates won't hit retail outlets for some time - or at least not RELIABLY so: just as with the Panasonics, warehouses are presumably still full of sets built in earlier months, which (in theory) should be washed out first....

50-inch class Samsungs have been noted to suffer from less-impressive Black Levels than their larger screen sizes, so might give a slight edge to the GT30 on that score.

At the same time - and as already noted above - either the 6500 or ST30 should offer a nice price savings. (Although personally would trade some, or all, of the $$ for a Larger Screen Size...)

Best of Luck with whatever set you decided on!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the various advice. Screen size is fixed for me right now at 50/51".

As far as new builds, I have direct connections with Samsung and they have no inventory currently on D7000,everything available is out in distribution channel so what I get should be newest version. They do have D6500 available at a savings of $182. I like the frame and RBL on the D7000 and may wait on it, though football season is here!

·
Banned
992 Posts
Unless you watch in complete darkness, differences in dark levels are negligable.

If you plan on getting it calibrated, the Samsung is superior with more adjustment controls and better color.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by video3006 /forum/post/20899212

Received the Sam 51D7000, August build date. Looks GREAT!! Wish it had a composite input for my Betamax.

How can it not have at least one composite input? There are a lot of legacy devices with composite video in people's homes, especially with the older generation

Oh, and the whole peeling thing is on the larger 59" and 64" units - i can't recall seeing a single report of it happening on a 51 incher so you should be safe

·
Registered
21,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

How can it not have at least one composite input? There are a lot of legacy devices with composite video in people's homes, especially with the older generation

Oh, and the whole peeling thing is on the larger 59" and 64" units - i can't recall seeing a single report of it happening on a 51 incher so you should be safe

Pretty sure this will be the new trend. We are already seeing it on AVRs and other devices. While I agree there are many legacy devices that still use those connections there are not that many now. Not only is.this a way to "force" users to upgrade older devices, it also means they can offer more current connections (HDMI)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20900968

There are (5) HDMI and (1) component on a breakout cable supplied. I really do still have a Betamax and a bunch of football recordings from the 80's I need to convert to DVD. I even have a copy of Apocalypse Now on Beta Hi-Fi, I used to blow people away with that before surround sound hit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_sousa
my vote is to panasonic GT30 especially because problem os burn in in samsung plasmas 2010 but in 2011 models i dont know.

either way both are great so you cant go wrong

see the review of GT30 and samsung D8000

gt30: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panas...1103281070.htm

d8000: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1107011257.htm
I have a 59D6500 and have had no run-ins with image retention or burn in. I've even left tickers at the bottom of the screen for 20-30 + mins and nothing to show for it. You can get a 59D6500 for about the same price as a 51D7000 and it would be a noticeable benefit (picture quality is probably about the same in a dark environment if not the same).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.