AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need advice. i'v read a lot of the posts, not sure i understand all the tech info.i was waiting for the v10 but i'm starting to think the samsung may have better color accuracy? the other thing is i sit about 8 ft. away is that to close for a 58

·
Vendor
32,443 Posts
That is the starting point for most at 8FT. ( I think you will be fine. )

Both great displays, tough choice. Panasonic will have better black levels due to better overall contrast ratio. Samsung has great black levels and better color pop.

I am sure many are in the same boat you are

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Panasonic is looked at as the more reliable brand -- there seems to be less issues with them. The V10 doesn't have a color management system, so yeah, the Samsung has the potential to have better color accuracy. As Cleveland Plasma said, blacks are slightly better on the V10.

Both are great sets, so I think you're better off looking at both and deciding for yourself.

As for size, you can never go too big. Generally, I get the biggest TV I can afford. I sit just over 8' away and I have to settle for a 50" unless Panasonic and Samsung decide to slash prices big time (pricing here in Canada blows =\\).

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all guys, new member here. I'm trying to "edumacate" myself on the subject of HDTV Plasma and Blu-Ray, so go easy on me.

I recently switched over to DirecTV HD. I have HD DVRs in my master bedroom and livingroom. I am currently running a 2003 SONY 46" rear projection that is 1080i capable in the livingroom and a 37" Toshiba LCD 720p in the bedroom.

The first thing I noticed was that the picture on the SONY was much more crisp at 1080i. But when I compared it to the 1080i signal on the LCD unit in the master bedroom,....well,...It wasn't coming close to HD. Period!

"Time for an upgrade", I said to myself.

I have spent a few weeks now reading forum feedback and reviews and decided that I wanted a 58" or larger plasma. My viewing distance is 9 feet, I am not a gamer, and my girlfriend and I mostly watch TV after 8 pm even on weekends. So glare isn't an issue either.

Whew! All of that long winded stuff having been said, I found a BestBuy store in Boynton Beach that has a Samsung 58" b860, A Panasonic 58" V10, a Panasonic 65" V10, and a 60"Pioneer ELite 151fd all lined up in that order.

All four are running on a component feed from a DirecTV HD source and you can channel surf freely.

To my untrained eye, I have determined the following:

a).The Samsumg 58" B860 steals the show for color richness out of the four. But there were mild artifacts.

b).The Panny 58" V10 had better menu features and when tweaked, matched the image on the Pioneer Elite sans a subtle lack luster with black - but minor.

c). The Panny 65" V10 had too many artifacts as did a 63" B560 Samsung further across the room.

I spent some time tweaking the sets (except for the elite) and for my budget I have narrowed it down to a shootout between the 58b860 and the 58V10.

The B860 is on sale, so the price point between the two sets is only $400.00, with the panny being cheaper.

Well,...I've said my piece,.....I feel, overall, the V10 series is a winner. I base this choice on menu features and the fact that it came sooo close to matching the image quality on the Pioneer Elite. Even the sales guy felt the image between the two was amazingly close!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had this TV delivered 2 days ago from Best Buy. I was extremely on the fence between the Panasonic 58v10 and this TV. After adjusting many of the picture calibration settings I am even more undecided.

I have noticed 2 issues right away with the TV a) a slight buzzing that annoys me b) the TV gets really hot. I don't know if this is the "buzzing" problem with this TV or thats just how plasma's are. I had an 52" XBR4 before this TV and decided to upgrade because I was really tired of the motion blur on LCD TV's.

I did months of research and it seems that these two TVs are the best. Also, in that research I have read where a ton of people were in the same boat as me. From everything that I've read everyone says the same thing, the Panasonic puts out better blacks and has better customer service, while the Samsung has better colors. What worries me is that the Panasonic has always looks grainy and washed out when I have seen it in the store. I understand it may not be calibrated properly...However, the Samsung colors are truly amazing. What really matters to me is Picture Quality. Are the colors on the Panasonic close? I would think that unless you are watching it on vivid/dynamic the colors are toned down anyway.

I am torn as to whether I should return the Samsung and get the more reliable, cheaper and by all reviews "better" TV in the Panasonic!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be using the TV primarily for Directv (sports), blu ray and video games. The lighting is not a big issue as I do most of my TV watching at night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts