AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to compare these two in person. I realize the pio 6020 is probably better than both of these, but its also over $1000.00 more. Just wondering which set do you think is going to be better between the LG and the Sammy. I can't wait 2 months for the panny to arrive. I've called around and nobody has the the pg60 or the series 6 on display. I could go look at the series 5 58" to get some sort of idea what the sammy lokks like. Any help would be great, I need a new T.V. now. My 10 year old elite just died.

·
Registered
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark2288 /forum/post/14230072

Has anyone had a chance to compare these two in person. I realize the pio 6020 is probably better than both of these, but its also over $1000.00 more. Just wondering which set do you think is going to be better between the LG and the Sammy. I can't wait 2 months for the panny to arrive. I've called around and nobody has the the pg60 or the series 6 on display. I could go look at the series 5 58" to get some sort of idea what the sammy lokks like. Any help would be great, I need a new T.V. now. My 10 year old elite just died.

You are going to have a tough time sifting through the opinions, but you might try looking at the Owner's threads for those two displays:

The LG's: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1035155

The Sammy: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029240

For the most part, Owner's threads try to stay clear of cross brand debates which can often devolve into vitriolic arguments, so I'd suggest you do your research in those threads and post specific questions to help your decision in this one.

The most important advice I can give you is that there is absolutely not substitution for direct observation. If you have to invest the gas and time to see both displays side-by-side in the wild, I'd suggest you make a day of it and do so.

Good luck...and I'll be happy to answer specific questions you might have as I did my own direct comparisons between the PG60, a650, 700/750u at the time of purchase. Since then, I've also compared the 800u and 6020, but none of those observations are worth anything compared to your having 5 mins in front of both displays.

Be sure to ask to see multiple content sources: 480i, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

Good luck!!

rwr

·
Registered
202 Posts
if you never want to second guess yourself, purchase the 6020 if you have the extra $800 lying around. otherwise get the 60pg60. if you can wait 4 months, the panny 850 will be out by then. Me, I couldnt wait and wanted the most bang for the buck. with the extra $800, I purchased other gear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
brandsmart usa has it on display its about the same quality as he sam 650 and 550p they are side by side i mean the 58"sammy and Lgp60 but the LG has an all glass frame which looks pretty sexy and sleek

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've been the owner of both the LG 50PG60 and Sammy PN50A650. I know they're not the same sizes, but they should be fairly similar.

I started out with the LG and while I was going back to the store for a replacement (dead pixels), the Sammy was on sale for 700$ less than the LG. I couldn't resist.

Here's what I noticed:

-Out of the box, the LG had more accurate colors (THX mode).

-The LG was a lot more prone to IR.

-Black levels/detail are better on the sammy.

-LG's frameless design is way nicer than the ToC, IMO.

-Both have extensive user menu options to calibrate the TV, but the LG has an ISFccc mode that probably goes one step further than the Sammy.

-Sound is better on the LG, if you don't have a surround system.

While I've had a few issues with the LG, they pale in comparison to the problems i'm having with the Sammy and Samsung has been a pain to deal with. I'm seriously thinking of going back with the LG.

Here are the issues I'm having:

1)The set does not sit straight on the stand. It's tilted to the left.

2)The screen will sometimes shake for a few minutes.

3)Color banding (horizontal lines, not actual color banding)

4)Green and pink bands on light colors

5)The TV turns off on its own sometimes

6)While using the scrolling bar, I sometimes have to unplug the TV to get it out of that mode.

I know my set is probably a dud, but I've been to a few stores and all of the demo tvs I have seen (550/650) had both 4) & 5).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took me 6 months to decide which plasma to buy; I ended up with the 60PG70 which I have not seen it only arrives in SA in three weeks time.

I looked at Panasonic monitors, Samsung and many more; the only two I did not view were the Pioneer and the one I have purchased.

The Pioneer was a 720 display so that was out the running even though it is rated as a great TV, I did view the LG 60" plasma of two generations before the one I have bought it looked ok and it performed well, not the best I have seen but ok, I did a bit of research on the 60PG70 well I like the size and price so I placed my order.

For me it was not about the contrast ratio or black levels that are 0.0008 or 9 it's about looking at a great movie or sports or whatever and enjoying it, not thinking about the pixel that is a bit greener than the Sammy I should have bought.

Get that warm feeling about what you buy sure listen to other peoples opinions but remember its your opinion not there's that counts.

I have had so many people tell me the TV I have bought is a low market plasma, that may well be true in there eyes but not in mine.

You said "I realize the pio 6020 is probably better than both of these, but its also over $1000.00 more". Is it better? Who said so?

If that's how you feel then spend the extra 1000.

Your last set lasted 10 years that 100 per year not much is it.

As I said I am waiting for my 60PG70 and the wait is killing me.

Good luck with what you decide.

orsum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts