AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some opinions on these two sets? I just bought a Samsung ln52a750 LCD that I am fixing to return because I am completely disappointed with it (motion blur driving me nuts/unrealistic images). Before the flames on calibration come into play, I truely do not believe that my set is so far out of whack that it would help much when it comes to motion blur.

Both the Pioneer and the Samsung are about the same price, I have a friend that has the Samsung PN58A650 and is very happy with it. I was curious how the Pioneer compared or if it was apples and oranges?

Are either of these sets going to have as much motion blur as the LCD and will I ever be as happy as I was with my 36" Sony Wega HD? I watch a lot of hockey so which one would be best for that. I game very infrequently but who is to say I wouldn't game more after I get a ps3 (might as well get that than just a play blu-ray).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtjh /forum/post/14288522

I am looking for some opinions on these two sets? I just bought a Samsung ln52a750 LCD that I am fixing to return because I am completely disappointed with it (motion blur driving me nuts/unrealistic images). Before the flames on calibration come into play, I truely do not believe that my set is so far out of whack that it would help much when it comes to motion blur.

Both the Pioneer and the Samsung are about the same price, I have a friend that has the Samsung PN58A650 and is very happy with it. I was curious how the Pioneer compared or if it was apples and oranges?

Are either of these sets going to have as much motion blur as the LCD and will I ever be as happy as I was with my 36" Sony Wega HD? I watch a lot of hockey so which one would be best for that. I game very infrequently but who is to say I wouldn't game more after I get a ps3 (might as well get that than just a play blu-ray).

Motion Blur not much of a problem anymore on the plasmas. Are you running your Samsung in 120HZ Motion Plus Format?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Motion is bad on LCD sets. Plasma does a motion very well just like your CRT. IMO, if you can fit the 58", I'd go for that. Size is important. I've seen the PN58A650, and its got some pretty accurate colors. Its not a bad set at all. Lots of tweakability. Kuro's got the ink for sure. I wouldn't say apples and oranges, more like apples and candy apples.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision /forum/post/14288548

Motion Blur not much of a problem anymore on the plasmas. Are you running your Samsung in 120HZ Motion Plus Format?

While I don't find motion blur to be that bad on plasmas, if he's that picky about it he might be dissatisfied with plasma as well.

Plasmas DO have motion blur, it's just very different (and not as bad, IMO) than on an LCD.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/14288633

While I don't find motion blur to be that bad on plasmas, if he's that picky about it he might be dissatisfied with plasma as well.

Plasmas DO have motion blur, it's just very different (and not as bad, IMO) than on an LCD.

Very true, might have to stick with the old CRT then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision /forum/post/14288548

What I notice when I turn up the AMP settings to get rid of the blur the picture starts to get cartoonish. So, I end up messing with settings throughout whatever I am watching.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision /forum/post/14288648

Very true, might have to stick with the old CRT then.

LOL, wish the wife could lug the other half of the 225 lbs that it weighs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to CC tonight to do some more comparison. Hopefully, they have both models to compare side by side.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtjh /forum/post/14288980

I am going to CC tonight to do some more comparison. Hopefully, they have both models to compare side by side.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Circuit City does not carry Pioneer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I bought my plasma 650, I compared it to the lcd 650 and fortunately hockey playoffs were on in HD. LCDs have a triple ball affect which I could see, the plasma is completely free of that. All TVs have some blur, but you can see it on LCDs.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Well, as a Sammy fan I would lean towards the Sammy. That said, both are excellent panels and you should decide what subtle differences work or do not work for you. Of course you do get a bigger panel with the Samsung but with the Pioneer you get that big fat KURO label on the panel and that kuro mystique

·
Registered
183 Posts
Go to best buy they have both. I have seen the Samsung and Pioneer side by side your going to want the Pioneer, it looks that good. The Samsung is a great television just don't sit it next to the Pioneer.

As for me, football season is coming up and the wife says she need a bigger television to watch the games on Sunday; and yes you heard right she needs a bigger television for football. Got l love that women, she's buying the television and the sound system.

If the 60" Pioneer was in the budget that's what we would be getting but the 58" samsung will be just fine.

·
Banned
3,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshse /forum/post/14289268

Go to best buy they have both. I have seen the Samsung and Pioneer side by side your going to want the Pioneer, it looks that good. The Samsung is a great television just don't sit it next to the Pioneer.

As for me, football season is coming up and the wife says she need a bigger television to watch the games on Sunday; and yes you heard right she needs a bigger television for football. Got l love that women, she's buying the television and the sound system.

If the 60" Pioneer was in the budget that's what we would be getting but the 58" samsung will be just fine.

My wife doesn't even turn the damn TV on during the day and hates sports. I don't even know what your life is like. It's like some sort of alternate universe.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yep Pioneer makes a great TV.

BUT

What most of these "No matter what get the Pioneer" folks forget is screen size and cost.

Yep you can get that 50" Pioneer for the same price as a 58" flagship Samsung model or even an older 58" Panasonic model. I in fact was going to get a Pioneer 5010 to replace my 57" CRT Hitachi. Yep the Samsung and the Panasonic will not have as good black levels as the Pioneer.

But in no way does it mean they SUCK.

In fact they are most excellent in many ways and you can get more picture real estate for the money plus you still get the total WOW factor when you or you and your freinds are watching.

At 12.5' with letterboxed movies on a 50" display would unsatisfactory to me IMHO. I have been spoiled my old CRT which was big and had great blacks, even better than any Pioneer plasma but I wanted better HD than it could provide.

It seems that every time I see this type of thread that many of the enthusiastic Pioneer folks forget that there are other very very good choices in the Panasonic and Samsung lines that will provide years of great satisfying entertainment at a price point that is significantly less than Pioneer when considering a 50" vs 58" display. Yes sometimes money is an object.

I just thought I would elaborate.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I think many fans came to the conclusion that they felt the PQ difference was enough for them to sacrifice screen size...thus why they bought their Kuro's.

crashtjh....either set will satisfy and render beautiful HD images for years to come. You'll have to make the choice of the extra size or the extra PQ.

Please let us know what your impressions were from your visit this evening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexInvision /forum/post/14289028

Circuit City does not carry Pioneer.

Nope they didn't but the BB down the road did. Really was just looking more at Plasma vs LCD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtjh /forum/post/14290285

Nope they didn't but the BB down the road did. Really was just looking more at Plasma vs LCD.

EDIT:

I found that the Plasma seemed more realistic picture wise where the lcd still felt more cartoonish. I saw the Pioneer at BB and the Samsung at CC where BB didn't have the 650. I thought they both looked really good and I couldn't see any blurring on the feeds that they had going to them.

The one thing I did noticed was that the LCD I have right now has issues because the displays weren't as noticable with the blur as the one I am returning does.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtjh /forum/post/14290329

EDIT:

I found that the Plasma seemed more realistic picture wise where the lcd still felt more cartoonish. I saw the Pioneer at BB and the Samsung at CC where BB didn't have the 650. I thought they both looked really good and I couldn't see any blurring on the feeds that they had going to them.

The one thing I did noticed was that the LCD I have right now has issues because the displays weren't as noticable with the blur as the one I am returning does.

You've confused the Samsung LCD (LNxxa650) with the Samsung Plasma (PNxxa650). Your thread title is asking about the Samsung Plasma, whereas now you're talking about the LCD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveappen /forum/post/14290430

You've confused the Samsung LCD (LNxxa650) with the Samsung Plasma (PNxxa650). Your thread title is asking about the Samsung Plasma, whereas now you're talking about the LCD.

Sorry for the confusion. I have the LCD at home now going to exchange it for a plasma.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts