AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez, after all these years I finally have a question for you experts out there.

I bought our Sammy 58B650 in January and I have, what I think, is a contrast problem. At first the set was fine, gorgeous picture, but then I noticed that if I run the recommended settings, Contrast 95, Brightness 50, etc. everything on the tv looks like it was filmed in a dark room. I first noticed it 2 weeks ago. I was watching a movie where all the men were wearing black suits, sitting at a dinner table with a dark background. Everything looked black, so I thought I had some major black crush going on. Then I rented the movie 2012 and the whole movie looked like it was filmed at night. I ran the movie on my old Mits 52144 and it was fine, so I knew I had a problem.

The only way I can get the picture to look somewhat normal on the Sammy is to run the contrast at 40 and the brightness at 85. Does this sound like something that can be adjusted in the service menu or do I have a bum set?

Thanks as always for any help,

Mark

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Remember that contrast controls the level of white and brightness controls the level of black. You should keep your contrast at 95. 40 is WAY too low. Keep your contrast at 95 and then slowly raise your brightness from 50 until you start seeing the blacks become more detailed.

If you have the ability to obtain Digital Video Essentials, you can use that to to display a ramp pattern. You can use this to see the rise from black to white and visually see where things are disappearing. Each level of rise should be as equal as possible. You can only get this fairly close with the naked eye, but it'll be much better than what you have now. You may also need to adjust your gamma control as your gamma may be set too low. That would cause what you're seeing as well. Start with your gamma at 0 (if you have it set any lower than that right now). Each +1 in gamma will cause the actual gamma to decrease which will result in a less dark picture.

Also, remember you have a plasma so blacks are going to be blacker than with an LCD. That's a good thing. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Make sure you set the player and TV to have a low level of black (luminance level 16-235), otherwise it may crush the black in the way similar to what you are facing now when watching movies.

I once

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have DVE and completely forgot about it. Duh! I'll give it a shot and see how I can adjust things. I did a factory reset also and it made no difference, everything was still dark.

This is bugging me to death. I got lucky and my set doesn't buzz, I'd hate to lose it to one that does.

Edit: And mucho thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat /forum/post/18281757

I have DVE and completely forgot about it. Duh! I'll give it a shot and see how I can adjust things. I did a factory reset also and it made no difference, everything was still dark.

This is bugging me to death. I got lucky and my set doesn't buzz, I'd hate to lose it to one that does.

Edit: And mucho thanks for your help guys!

This is such a good set, if you can't figure it out, PM me with your # and I'll give you a call.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/18281931

This is such a good set, if you can't figure it out, PM me with your # and I'll give you a call.

Thanks for the offer! I was going to run DVE last night after dark, but I passed out. I'll probably get to it tonight.

·
Registered
433 Posts
One other thing to check is your Dynamic Contrast and Black level settings.

Too much of both will throw your picture out of whack.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have both of those off, although I have tried playing with them to some extent. They only made people look yellow for the most part.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat /forum/post/18281216

Geez, after all these years I finally have a question for you experts out there.

I bought our Sammy 58B650 in January and I have, what I think, is a contrast problem. At first the set was fine, gorgeous picture, but then I noticed that if I run the recommended settings, Contrast 95, Brightness 50, etc. everything on the tv looks like it was filmed in a dark room. I first noticed it 2 weeks ago. I was watching a movie where all the men were wearing black suits, sitting at a dinner table with a dark background. Everything looked black, so I thought I had some major black crush going on. Then I rented the movie 2012 and the whole movie looked like it was filmed at night. I ran the movie on my old Mits 52144 and it was fine, so I knew I had a problem.

The only way I can get the picture to look somewhat normal on the Sammy is to run the contrast at 40 and the brightness at 85. Does this sound like something that can be adjusted in the service menu or do I have a bum set?

Mark

This is very interesting. Aeonus — another B650 owner — and myself have noticed that with our sets if we run contrast in the high 90's, our black levels become half as good after a few hours as they are if we run contrast in the high 70's or low 80's. It's as though the contrast is so high that the pixels become so illuminated they can no longer reach that deep black they otherwise do. Turn the contrast down 15-20 points and four hours or so later black levels are very acceptable once again.

Oddly, it sounds like yours is doing exactly the opposite; everything is becoming too black. I don't know if our issues are in any way related, except that contrast in the high 90's seems to be the source of our problems. And you're right, 95-100 is the contrast setting everyone recommends for these sets. I don't know how you can see much of anything at all with a contrast at 40, though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer /forum/post/18288614

This is very interesting. Aeonus — another B650 owner — and myself have noticed that with our sets if we run contrast in the high 90's, our black levels become half as good after a few hours as they are if we run contrast in the high 70's or low 80's. It's as though the contrast is so high that the pixels become so illuminated they can no longer reach that deep black they otherwise do. Turn the contrast down 15-20 points and four hours or so later black levels are very acceptable once again.

Oddly, it sounds like yours is doing exactly the opposite; everything is becoming too black. I don't know if our issues are in any way related, except that contrast in the high 90's seems to be the source of our problems. And you're right, 95-100 is the contrast setting everyone recommends for these sets. I don't know how you can see much of anything at all with a contrast at 40, though.

My picture got so dark that turning the contrast down to 40 to 50-ish and the brightness up to 80 made it almost normal. Blacks were still quite black and the picture was finally light enough to see detail. At this point it is just on the verge of getting that gray foggy-looking brightness coating over the pic. I'm amazed that the Sammy can run at these settings and still produce a great pic, whereas any other brand would probably just be washed out.

It's just bugging me why it changed all of a sudden. It seems like when I was playing around with peoples various recommended settings that something got "stuck" and the picture locked on right there. Specifically after I played with a couple of gamma settings, although I set the gamma back to zero. I went in looked at all the service menu settings and they are still factory stock. I made a spreadsheet of them when I first got the set.

·
Registered
498 Posts
On your bluray player, make sure it is sending out a YcBcR signal for Blurays, NOT an RGB signal. Also make sure you are connecting DIRECTLY to the television, not through a receiver.

You can tell if it is doing so by looking at the HDMI Black Level option in the Picture Options menu. While watching a bluray, if it is grayed out, then you are getting the correct signal. If it is a selectable option, then you need to try and set it to YcBcR on your player.

Make sure dynamic contrast is off, black tone is off, gamma is at 0, and your Color Space and White Balance settings are at defaults. Make sure CINEMA SMOOTH is NOT turned on. Film Options should be NONE.

Try your brightness at the 52 mark, contrast 78, and give it an hour to see if it evens out.

If it doesn't improve, you need to get your set serviced.

Did you edit the service menu settings ANYWHERE when you were adjusting things?

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat /forum/post/18281216

Mark

I had this same problem with my 50B850 after owning it for about 3 weeks. I tried to correct it and called Samsung who was going to have a service repairman check it out (which they were fast, they called the very next day.) However, I decided to take it back to Best Buy on the 29th day and get their last in-box 850 they had remaining. They gave me no hassles and I am happy again.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonus /forum/post/18289411

On your bluray player, make sure it is sending out a YcBcR signal for Blurays, NOT an RGB signal. Also make sure you are connecting DIRECTLY to the television, not through a receiver.

You can tell if it is doing so by looking at the HDMI Black Level option in the Picture Options menu. While watching a bluray, if it is grayed out, then you are getting the correct signal. If it is a selectable option, then you need to try and set it to YcBcR on your player.

Make sure dynamic contrast is off, black tone is off, gamma is at 0, and your Color Space and White Balance settings are at defaults. Make sure CINEMA SMOOTH is NOT turned on. Film Options should be NONE.

Try your brightness at the 52 mark, contrast 78, and give it an hour to see if it evens out.

If it doesn't improve, you need to get your set serviced.

Did you edit the service menu settings ANYWHERE when you were adjusting things?

Everything I have is hooked up through HDMI, Xbox, BD, HD-DVD, Satellite.

It was the HD-DVD and certain satellite stations showing the worst of the dark pictures. Blu-ray always kicks on Cinema Smooth though.

The other strange variable is that cartoon movies like "Up" and "Monsters vs. Aliens" and the Xbox play fine, no problems.

So I just put "First Sunday" in the BD. So far it's dark (no pun intended,
). I set everything as you said above. So now I'll watch for an hour and see what happens. My DVE is HD-DVD, it's in the other player waiting.

Edit:

Update - The set still looks a little dark on certain channels, not all, but it turns out my Yamaha 661 was causing the total darkness on DVD's (Blu-ray or HD-DVD). The weird thing though is that the Xbox looks fine through it.

So I'm not sure if the darkness is just a weird Samsung/Yamaha combination thing or what? I don't think the Yamaha is broken since the Xbox has no problem? What sayeth you all? LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts