AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following connected via HDMI.

Samsung PN58B860

Samsung BD-P1600

Denon AVR-590

I just set up internet connectivity to both the TV and the Blu-ray and I can't figure out how to turn off just the stinking TV after I start Pandora - everything shuts down.

Can someone tell me which device(s) is controlling this behavior and perhaps which setting(s) I need to change? It's maddening.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, this is what I get from Samsung Tech Support:

Oscar V: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?

Visitor: I have a BD-P1600 and a PN58B860 and have a question. After I start a Pandora session on the Blu-Ray I want to turn the TV off but when I do it turns the Blu-ray off. How can I control this behavior?

Oscar V: Let me check this for you.

Visitor: This is what I have via HDMI

Visitor: Samsung PN58B860 Samsung BD-P1600 Denon AVR-590

Oscar V: Did you connect the Blu-ray player to the receiver and receiver to the TV?

Visitor: Correct.

Oscar V: If you connect the Bl-ray player to the receiver and receiver to the TV and start Pandora and turn OFF the TV player will automatically go into stop mode.

Visitor: Yes ... the Blu-ray turns off ... this is bad and I want to correct this.

Visitor: Image Retention is something to be avoided and Pandora is a very static image.

Oscar V: If you turn OFF the TV automatically the player will go into stop mode and you will not be able to start Pandora.

Oscar V: You cannot change this function.

Visitor: What?!?! Are you saying I HAVE to have the TV on to listen to Pandora?

Oscar V: Yes, you need to turn ON the TV to listen to Pandora.

Oscar V: TV will act as interface between player and Pandora server.

Visitor: Do you agree that the static images of Pandora will cause Image Retention on the plasma TV?

Oscar V: No, you will not have any image retention on the plasma TV using Pandora.

Visitor: Ok. I guess it's official, thanks.

Oscar V: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

·
Registered
871 Posts
You need to go into the settings menu on both the tv and blu-ray and turn off cec-link, that way you can turn the tv off without turning off the blu ray player

1 - 3 of 3 Posts