AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can pick this tv up for this price from Walmart brand new in box for this price. Question is is this set worth it? Been reading and know it's entry level but that doesn't scare me away. Just wondering about buzzing and some of the other issues Iv'e read about related to Samsung plasmas...Would you take a chance on it? Been reading for hours and couldn't find firmware fix or whatever it is for this model...Does that mean if you buy it then you're stuck if it buzzes or you get brightness pops?

Owners opinions most definitely appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, no opinions..

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie /forum/post/21794129

Wow, no opinions..

For abig, basic plasma, youre getting a lot of tv for the money. The 530 series seemed to have some power supply issues early on that gave it som negative reviews.

The screen is reflective with little ar coating. This could be a liability in bright rooms.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply..It does seem to be alot of screen for price.Been reading about so many "won't turn on issues" almost afraid to pull trigger on this one. Just crazy!! Last thing I need is to buy this and then a few days later won't turn on..Wife will love that one. Just seems like if you get a bad,it's real bad. And if you get a good one, then you're golden. This is going to be a tough choice!

brickie

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
I have the 51 inch D530, its a solid set, I did buy an extended warranty tho.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really considering it heavily. Anybody interested,check out Walmarts.The store by me has 2 of em. 3 yr extended warranty would only be $99 thru Walmart as well which is kinda appealing(having total of 4 yrs for dirt cheap). since they're obviously a large entity feel assured they aren't going anywhere anytime soon,and dealing locally is always good.

Have you had any issues with your set?Did you have the brightness pop everyone seems to talk about?

brickie

·
Registered
12,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie /forum/post/21798717

I'm really considering it heavily. Anybody interested,check out Walmarts.The store by me has 2 of em. 3 yr extended warranty would only be $99 thru Walmart as well which is kinda appealing(having total of 4 yrs for dirt cheap). since they're obviously a large entity feel assured they aren't going anywhere anytime soon,and dealing locally is always good.

Have you had any issues with your set?Did you have the brightness pop everyone seems to talk about?

brickie

I havent noticed it, but not sure I would anyway. Overall it is solid not stellar, blacks are average but gamma and greyscale track good.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chunon, have you had to do a firmware fix or anything of that nature? What about the tv popping off and not turning off? Iv'e looked at the youtube videos which I guess on a new set wouldn't matter anyway,but just wondering if you had to do any "fixes" on yours?

brickie

·
Registered
12,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie /forum/post/21804680

Chunon, have you had to do a firmware fix or anything of that nature? What about the tv popping off and not turning off? Iv'e looked at the youtube videos which I guess on a new set wouldn't matter anyway,but just wondering if you had to do any "fixes" on yours?

brickie

The only way to update is thru a USB stick. The only firmware listed on the samsung site for my model was 1007 which supposedly fixed sd problems. I never applied that. Never have had any issues with powering on or off, only had about a month tho. I think Samsung had a batch of bad power supplies or something in the early build dates. I think an extended warranty is a good idea.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I bought this TV from Wal-Mart about 3 weeks ago. So far I've been pleased with it other than the buzzing that comes off the screen. Thought about taking it back, but after reading how this is so common, I decided to just keep it. They don't have any more of these, so @800 bucks it's too good of a deal to take back unless something serious goes wrong with it. I have it mounted on a wall, so not sure if that makes the buzzing worse or not. When sitting you don't notice the buzzing at all, since you are about a foot below screen level. It's very directional and noticeable at screen level standing right in front of it, however.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up this set about a week and half and it produces a really good picture after some minor tweaking. One thing I did notice that is throwing me off is that on a totally white or grey screen I see some black bands on the screen. They aren't very dark but noticeable if you have a scene or a picture thats all white or grey. I was wondering if any owners of this set notice this as well? If not initially, could you test it by putting an all white picture on the tv and taking a look at it. Im trying to determine if my panel is defective or if its common with this set.

I did purchase the 3 year extended warranty and still within the return timeframe with walmart but I really dont want to tote this beast back to the store. I would rather get it fixed if its an issue with the panel.

Any information and testing would be great.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The buzzing and power supply problems are what initially scared me off. If you can't notice it from seating position though ,I may be inclined myself to keep because of the value for the size...They say most plasma buzz,which my Vizio does a little as well, althoug the Panasonic 60S30 I bought instead of this set doesn't,yet.Got it for same price as this one. Nows a good time to be in market for a tv..Some great values if you look hard enough.

brickie

·
Registered
12,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie /forum/post/21993246

The buzzing and power supply problems are what initially scared me off. If you can't notice it from seating position though ,I may be inclined myself to keep because of the value for the size...They say most plasma buzz,which my Vizio does a little as well, althoug the Panasonic 60S30 I bought instead of this set doesn't,yet.Got it for same price as this one. Nows a good time to be in market for a tv..Some great values if you look hard enough.

brickie

You made the right choice with the S30, blacks were sub par on the D530 imo And the D530 I had buzzed.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They're both low budget plasmas and even the S30 has faults,but for the money ($799) I can't complain at all.Really love that set.

brickie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts