AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup fellas i'm having a hard time trying to choose between these 2 plasma's...The Sammy is like $200 cheaper but i've seen both model's at a few stores.... It''s going in my man's room with no window's so i'm not concerned with the glare issue's ... I know that panasonic has a rep for the deeper blacks but the sammy looked great when i saw it, so can you guys lead me in the right direction?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,311 Posts
I prefer Panasonic, but in the end, all that matters is which you perfer (many here will vote Panny and many will vote Sammy, so not sure how that will help you).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
992 Posts
6500 has more calibration controls, if you plan on getting it calibrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B /forum/post/20852189


6500 has more calibration controls, if you plan on getting it calibrated.

Thanks for the info.... yes i plan on getting it calbrated... Both sets looks about even to me i just wanted to see what you guys thought.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B /forum/post/20852189


6500 has more calibration controls, if you plan on getting it calibrated.

Genuine Question: Have been under the impression that the Advantage of the 6500 (and, indeed, most Samsung & LG plasmas) over the Panasonics (and especially the ST30) was the number of Calibration Controls available to the END USER - but that this would be less important if an owner was planning to have the set Professionally Calibrated. --
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr
Genuine Question: Have been under the impression that the Advantage of the 6500 (and, indeed, most Samsung & LG plasmas) over the Panasonics (and especially the ST30) was the number of Calibration Controls available to the END USER - but that this would be less important if an owner was planning to have the set Professionally Calibrated. --
Based on what I've read around online, the 6500 has the same panel and the same PQ as the 7000 and 8000 minus the bright room performance. I've read that the 7/8000 calibrate fantastically, capable of reference quality color accuracy (its actually Cnets new color reference, replacing the Kuro) as well as very good gamma. No report I've read about the ST30 shows anyone being able to create nearly the accuracy of Samsungs current high-end lineup. I believe that the robust calibration controls of Samsungs panels make it much easier/more possible for calibrators to create the best image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apjans
Based on what I've read around online, the 6500 has the same panel and the same PQ as the 7000 and 8000 minus the bright room performance. I've read that the 7/8000 calibrate fantastically, capable of reference quality color accuracy (its actually Cnets new color reference, replacing the Kuro) as well as very good gamma. No report I've read about the ST30 shows anyone being able to create nearly the accuracy of Samsungs current high-end lineup. I believe that the robust calibration controls of Samsungs panels make it much easier/more possible for calibrators to create the best image.
I say let your own eyes judge, always be suspicious of someone trying to push you one way or the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon
I say let your own eyes judge, always be suspicious of someone trying to push you one way or the other.
Very true, but not everyone has the luxury of being able to get two different calibrated sets next to each other for comparison. You certainly can't trust Best Buy or other like stores to have their televisions set up well or in an environment at all similar to your own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
the 60ST30 is a awesome tv and the black filter on the st30 is a lot better tehn the sammys. before i got my 50 inch st30 i was looking at the 6500 i think the panny is the better tv
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top