AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was asking about the panny in these forums and everyone agreed to it being a really good buy, however after further research in this forum it seems like the sammy d7000 is getting rave feedback as well. Seeing that both are available from a local retailer I was wondering which one would you go for. Price of Pan: $2200, Sam: $2400 which one? Thanks!

Primary use movies and games, in a dark room.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Buy what seems best to you based on your evaluation of the sets in the store and how much $200 is worth to you. Asking a bunch of people who don't know, and who don't know anything about you or your preferences, to tell you what they would do and how they would spend their money is kind of silly. Both sets are excellent, and you really can't go wrong with either one.

No offense intended, but this really isn't rocket science, and you're really the best judge of what is right for you.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Pretty sure blacks will hit 8G Kuro on the Panasonic and Samsung is having rising black issues this year. Panny to me is a safer bet.

There are lots of improvements on the 2011 Pannys this year: outstanding resolution, color, saturation, better reduction of IR, ANSI contrast same as on/off contrast.

ST owner here myself, so I'm a little biased.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau /forum/post/20864231

Pretty sure blacks will hit 8G Kuro on the Panasonic and Samsung is having rising black issues this year. Panny to me is a safer bet.

There are lots of improvements on the 2011 Pannys this year: outstanding resolution, color, saturation, better reduction of IR, ANSI contrast same as on/off contrast.

ST owner here myself, so I'm a little biased.

The Samsungs are not experiencing rising blacks.

Larry

·
Registered
21,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/0

Larry

Gotta love all the posts that's eminated from 1 report though LOL.

To the OP the TVs you are comparing are not really equals so to speak. The ST would probably match against the 6500 from Samsung. The 7K from Samsung closer matches the GT lineup wise. As others have said go with what makes you happy. Most the posts pro or con are going to come from people who are pretty firmly in.the Panny or Sammy group so its not a real unbaaiased opinion.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/20864272

Larry

Katzmeier is wrong about this?

·
Registered
196 Posts
i would just look at what's obvious first:

-Styling: Most prefer the Samsung styling - it's thin with small bezel all around = perfect for wall mounting

-Size: 1 inch isn't worth arguing over. Moving on...

-Color: Samsung has been outperforming pretty much everything in the color accuracy department in every review.

-Black: The Panasonics are known to have the deepest blacks of the mainstream plasma lines, however, it comes at a cost (see below)

-Brightness: The Samsungs are brighter sets which means better performance during the day and with the lights on.

-Glare: Probably a wash (research it anyways, i'm not sure)

-Issues: Samsung D7000/D8000 have had peeling screens (but recognized by samsung now) that no one can put a number on how common it is. Larry has a flawless set yet some claim to have had 3 replacements with all peeling screens. Brightness pops are noticed but I've only seen it once in 2 months on my D6500. Panasonics have fluctuating brightness that is supposedly recognized by panasonic and there is a firmware yet to be released (or is this GT30 only???)

-Price: Well, you solved that problem didn't you? The sammy is $200 more (small price for the upgrade imo)

After reading all this, I suggest you follow Smitty's advice: "Buy what seems best to you based on your evaluation of the sets in the store and how much $200 is worth to you."

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for breaking it down like that. It makes much more sense, also what the $200 is worth to me. To me it's worth buying the better TV...sounds like it is a toss up depending on the use and situation.

Since it will be used in the basement, there is zero sunlight in there. So glare and day lighting is not an issue (I'll post a picture later tonight on what it looks like)

1 inch size diff is pretty much negligible. Agreed.

If Panasonic fixes the fluctuating brightness issue for the ST30 series then the panny is for me, if not then Sammy. I can work with a TV that isn't too overly bright since it will be used in complete darkness 70% of the time.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheovnien /forum/post/20866163

i would just look at what's obvious first:

-Styling: Most prefer the Samsung styling - it's thin with small bezel all around = perfect for wall mounting

-Size: 1 inch isn't worth arguing over. Moving on...

-Color: Samsung has been outperforming pretty much everything in the color accuracy department in every review.

-Black: The Panasonics are known to have the deepest blacks of the mainstream plasma lines, however, it comes at a cost (see below)

-Brightness: The Samsungs are brighter sets which means better performance during the day and with the lights on.

-Glare: Probably a wash (research it anyways, i'm not sure)

-Issues: Samsung D7000/D8000 have had peeling screens (but recognized by samsung now) that no one can put a number on how common it is. Larry has a flawless set yet some claim to have had 3 replacements with all peeling screens. Brightness pops are noticed but I've only seen it once in 2 months on my D6500. Panasonics have fluctuating brightness that is supposedly recognized by panasonic and there is a firmware yet to be released (or is this GT30 only???)

-Price: Well, you solved that problem didn't you? The sammy is $200 more (small price for the upgrade imo)

After reading all this, I suggest you follow Smitty's advice: "Buy what seems best to you based on your evaluation of the sets in the store and how much $200 is worth to you."

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also this discussion has given me a really good idea...something I can contribute to these forums....give me a few days to work on it. I will need peeps input on putting it together.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
fluctuating brightness has been fixed

·
Registered
78 Posts
I went and looked, in the stores that had them on display, the Sammy 64D7000 and the Panny 65ST30 and 65GT30. All of tem looked really good in the stores but the Sammy was the one I liked the best all around. I'm running breakin slides now, and have noticed zero peeling yet and I have a July build.

·
Banned
992 Posts
If you plan on getting the TV calibrated, the 7000 is has far better controls and can be dialed in better.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I would rather have better color reproduction and more usable light output then have an ever so slightly better black level. The filter on the set sure does fool me, as I think the blacks look inkier on the samsung anyway.

I vote the Samsung.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I don't care which TV you get, but I hate when people post inaccurate information. Panasonic has recognized and fixed the fluctuating brightness problem on all 2011 3D sets with an EEPROM patch. They haven't "supposedly" recognized/fixed it.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz /forum/post/20870658

I don't care which TV you get, but I hate when people post inaccurate information. Panasonic has recognized and fixed the fluctuating brightness problem on all 2011 3D sets with an EEPROM patch. They haven't "supposedly" recognized/fixed it.

slow down there turbo. i was just going off the reading in these forums the past week or so. no need to throw the "h" bomb in there. relax and enjoy your inferior set to the D7000.
(was that inaccurate too?)

·
Registered
809 Posts
before i got my st30 i had the d700 ordered and i though about it was the sammy worth the extra money and i said no iam really happy with my st30 when you get the tv set up and in a dark room it will look awesome no need to spend 200 more dollars

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.