AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure where exactly to post this, so mods, please feel free to moved this to the appropriate location.

This post is about my experience with Amazon and Samsung regarding the 64" 7000 series plasma television.

Like many people, I like a big TV for my living room. After going over the endless variables I decided a flat panel was right for me. My previous was a 60" Hitachi LCD projection. It was a great TV but didn't look right in my new house. With that said I knew going under 60" wasn't an option. That left me to decide between LED or plasma. I make good money but cannot justify paying over $3000 for a TV again. Ideally I wanted a slightly larger TV. After researching the only viable options were plasmas from either LG, Panasonic, or Samsung. I quickly ruled out the LG after reading enough reviews.

I really like the Panasonic but it seemed a bit out of my price range for one that compares to the 7000 and 8000 series Samsung. I found the PN64D7000 on Amazon for approximately $2500. It was selling at Best Buy for $3057. That doesn't include tax and there were no bundles. In the end I purchased the TV from Amazon for $2550 shipped to me door with the 3D bundle (glasses, megamind, shrek, 3D blue ray player). The only catch was shipping was estimated to be 1 - 1 1/2 months after my order was placed.

To my surprise, amazon contacted me 1 1/2 weeks after my order to notify they had allocated a television. Needless to say I was very excited. They ship my TV and after 5 days it's delivered to my house. The "white glove" service was not exactly what I expected. They did not handle my TV with care and acted as if they were in a huge hurry. They came in, opened the box, and turned it on. It was the fuzzy screen so it was hard to tell if everything was right. I asked if they would wait and let me assemble the stand so I could place it on the console. They wouldn't wait or help me so I signed off and let them go on their merry way.

After I got everything assembled, in place, and hooked up, I turned on Direct TV. To my disappointment there were two black lines (about 1cm thick and 2 cm apart from each other) running horizontally across the top of the screen. Because I signed off with the delivery people (who rushed me) amazon is no longer responsible. That left me to deal with Samsung. Furthermore, when I tried to use my 3d glasses they wouldn't sync.

I contact Samsung and they schedule a repair date. A week later a service tech comes to my house. He finds that the bluetooth connector is not connected at all which is why my 3D wasn't working. Additionally my panel is defective so he orders a replacement panel from Samsung. It's basically a new TV minus the bezel, power supply, and a few other things. I wait 2 weeks until the new panel arrives. Then another week to get a service appointment set up. The tech arrives and swaps out the panel. He turns it on and now I have two vertical fuzzy lines running the entire length of the screen. Instead of being a centimeter across they are an inch or two across each. The tech tells me I am eligible for a whole new television.

I call Samsung to arrange everything. In a nutshell, because the TV is over 59" they will not exchange it. I can either wait for a repair or they will issue a refund. Another repair was not an option in my eyes. I ask them about their refund. It turns out, first they have to send a truck to pick it up. That would take a couple of days. Then they would have to wait for the defective TV to be shipped back to Samsung, at least another week. Then it would be another 10 business days to process the refund. So basically that's 2-3 weeks before I even see my refund. Then I have to go and re-order my television. Because of the size, as mentioned earlier, it's usually a long time before they can ship. So I am out of a TV for 1 - 1 1/2 months. Keep in mind I have already sold my old 60" Hitachi.

I argue with them back and forth for 2 hours. They keep telling me I they won't do an exchange. I stay on the phone and work my way up the corporate ladder telling them they don't have a choice. I said "so you can send a truck to pick up my defective TV but you can't send a truck to deliver my replacement?" They answered it was against their policy. Finally after beating the topic to death they transfer me one last time to a different department. They finally decide to honor the exchange. This was on a Tuesday. Come Friday I get notice the exchange has been processed and they will be shipping my TV through KWInternational trucking. The TV shipped on 7/25. It is now August 1st and still no TV. Now they are showing it won't arrive until August 3rd. Then I have to schedule an appointment for it to be delivered.

This whole experience has been a nightmare. I just wanted to share my story with others about Samsung's customer service. I love their products and have owned many of their TVs. However, this situation has left a bad taste in my mouth and I honestly regret not getting that refund and paying the money for the Panasonic. I don't stick my hand out for anything nor do I generally feel entitled but I honestly believe Samsung owes me something for the way they handled things. Anyways, that is all.

*Please note the time frames given are approximate and to the best of my recollection...and I am a terrible story teller

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've been a Prime member of Amazon for many years and have only returned two items, a double LP that came warped and a blu-ray that was supposed to be for demo only. Amazon has been great. I know these items are small ticket and your tv is totally different story. In the next month or so I plan on purchasing a PN64D8000 from Amazon. I hope to not go what you went through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.