AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PN64E8000 started acting up yesterday. The video and audio cut out randomly. Some times just for a second and other times for a minute or two and it does it non stop (every few seconds). When it happens the screen shows the standard HDMI port number and the general message when no input is found. The menus/smart hub still work without any cutting out issues. The HDMI input doesn't matter, HDMI cable doesn't matter, and the source (Hopper DVR or Sony Blu-ray) doesn't matter. I reset the TV to factory specs via the option in the menus and updated to the current software. The TV worked for a few minutes before it started happening again. Reset was done via the standard menus. I have not tried entering the service menus. So far I haven't had any luck searching Google for similar issues. :(

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm an Electrical Engineer and I have a multimeter and other random tools for diagnosing if anyone has any tips. Sound comes in via the HDMI but I'm sending it out to a Samsung sound bar via an optical cable. Seems like it has to be related to the HDMI inputs and however they take in and process the signals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I opened up smart hub and went into my Amazon Prime account. Instant video streaming via Amazon works fine. No issues at all with video or sound.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've had good luck at fixing HDTV's and with ShopJimmy parts. However, I always rely heavily on YouTube videos telling what's probably wrong and how to fix it. ;) I barely know the difference between a capacitor and a transistor. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately it's out of stock almost everywhere. The sites that have it say they have a core charge so I need to send my old one back. I'm going to pull the board first and verify the part numbers and see if there is any visible damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a main board for $160 shipped and ordered it this morning. Oddly enough the TV was working fine yesterday evening (not one flicker/cut-out for the hour or two it was on). This morning it started acting up again. I'll post my results after I get the board in. Hopefully this thread will help anyone else that may have a similar issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the new main board yesterday. The TV appears to function normally. I haven't had any issues. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts