AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 567 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
This seems to be a very common failure mode of this TV.

For me, having the power supply replaced got rid of it - 99% of the time - but every once in a while I still hit it.

I've learned to just walk away and come back five minutes later and it will power on.

Were it any other TV, I would have returned it, concerned the issue will get worse.

But this TV is just so plain excellent when it's on, I couldn't.
I guess that's the concern. Will the issue get worse or stay the same? I already have issues with the HDMI ports where I don't get a signal unless I turn the TV on last. Not sure if this is related to a power board issue, or a main board issue.

I can live with both these issues. I don't normally turn the TV on 5-10 minutes after turning it off, but i'm starting to wonder where the next issue will come from and whether it's worth getting Samsung to start replacing boards.

I don't want a potentially faulty power board to break something else to point where the TV will not turn on at all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a similar problem with my PN60E7000. Replacement of the power supply board didn't solve the problem so I'm waiting to see if the Y-board replacement will solve the problem. Please post your results as soon as you can, Don.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the hdmi issue too, that fix was he main board. Nice part cost of $204.

Then I had the blinking red light, that was the power supply.

My tv is only 6 months old. after a lot of escalation Samsung extended my warranty by 3 months. What a joke!

I hope your luck turns better. There is a thread where you can take the boards out and send hem somewhere for getting fixed. That may help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes! Please post the site where these boards can be repaired.

I ordered the Y-Board from Sears Parts and after several days I was notified that the board was no longer available from Sears Parts. So, I went to Samsung Parts and the Y-Board cost was $185 plus $149 shipping and handling. Ouch!!! Whats that about? I ordered the board anyway but I have not yet received it. I would like to get the original Y-Board repaired if it is defective. I think having a backup Y-board would be a good thing. I have a backup power supply board.
Stay tuned for an update as soon as the board comes in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On 7/17/15 I ordered the part (Y-Board or Y-SUS Board) through Samsung Parts and the order was routed through J&J International.
I just received this email from J&J International:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting us.
Unfortunately, the item that you ordered has been discontinued by Samsung. We tried to get this part from other sources but we were unsuccessful, therefore, your order will be canceled. Your order is being refunded through PayPal.
We sincerely apologize that we weren't able to fulfill your order.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Thank you.
E-commerce Team
J&J International Inc.
www.samsungparts.com
800-627-4368

If this part is no longer available, we are out of luck unless we can find used, refurbished, or salvaged parts, or have our original parts repaired. It seems very irresponsible that Samsung would discontinue manufacturing parts on a TV that is still being sold. Perhaps there are other options for obtaining these parts. But overall it seems like Samsung is not a company you want to buy expensive products from.

A bit of good news: I did manage to find a salvaged Y-Board from an online seller and I believe I will have a replacement Y-Board in the next few days. I will post progress or results.
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
On 7/17/15 I ordered the part (Y-Board or Y-SUS Board) through Samsung Parts and the order was routed through J&J International.
I just received this email from J&J International:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting us.
Unfortunately, the item that you ordered has been discontinued by Samsung. We tried to get this part from other sources but we were unsuccessful, therefore, your order will be canceled. Your order is being refunded through PayPal.
We sincerely apologize that we weren't able to fulfill your order.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Thank you.
E-commerce Team
J&J International Inc.
www.samsungparts.com
800-627-4368

If this part is no longer available, we are out of luck unless we can find used, refurbished, or salvaged parts, or have our original parts repaired. It seems very irresponsible that Samsung would discontinue manufacturing parts on a TV that is still being sold. Perhaps there are other options for obtaining these parts. But overall it seems like Samsung is not a company you want to buy expensive products from.

A bit of good news: I did manage to find a salvaged Y-Board from an online seller and I believe I will have a replacement Y-Board in the next few days. I will post progress or results.
Thanks
Don

If this is true, then it will be the last Samsung I will ever own, even though I think the F8500 is great. If they don't stock a critical part for a tv that is less than 3 year old, I sure wouldn't risk shelling out $3000 like I did for my 64F8500 knowing that now. Last thing I would want to hear is that a $200 part for my $3000, 2 year old tv is no longer available, and would have to buy a new tv. That's a shady business practice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A few minutes after receiving the email from J&J, I received the following email from Samsung Parts. Sounds to me like the parts supply is depleted and no future production is planned.

Dear Valued Customer,
Your order # 1663143 had to be cancelled since the part(s) was no longer available.
Please contact us at 800-627-4368 for further assistance.
Thank you,
E-Biz Team
samsungparts.com
1-800-627-4368
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Makes one wonder if the original Y-Board has a high failure rate and that Samsung ran out of all their supply of Y boards replacing them. Doesn't bode well for the rest of us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I'm certainly not an electronics expert but I do think it makes sense to install rear mounted fans on our televisions to keep the temp within an acceptable range. As I understand it, high temps significantly shorten the lifespan of electronic parts. There is a website that does a very good job of showing how to accomplish this task, and Amazon has the specifically mentioned parts available to install those fans. I have now installed four fans directly on the back of my Samsung. The fans are automatically activated when the temp is above 87 degrees F. There's a thermal fan controller used, and its pretty affordable. I think its worth considering.

Here is the link to the instructions for installing fans:
http://www.howtogeek.com/74654/how-...ur-entertainment-center-when-it-gets-too-hot/

The new and improved thermal controller is Amazon #
B0085EHCDQ
You will also need the power cord/supply that is indicated on the Amazon site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My PN60E7000 is now working. I sent the original power supply board to TV PARTS 4 LESS in San Antonio TX for repair. The board they sent me worked for only 2 days. They sent me a UPS label for me to return the part, and they sent another. At first, the red standby light would flash 5 times pause and then repeat. No one could explain the 5 flashes. So the TV sat on my dining room table for two weeks. I finally looked at the manual where it said this was common before startup. Problem still existed until i used the remote to turn on the tv and hooked up a dvd player. VIOLA!! Good luck to all who persist.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I received this from Samsung in response to inquiry about parts availability.

Thank you for contacting Samsung Direct,

I do understand your concern on getting the parts that you need. Unfortunately, we only have one parts department which is J&J Parts if they don’t carry the part that you need I’m unsure where you would get the part. I would check for some reliable parts distributor using the part number that you have. I do apologize about any inconvenience at this time and have a wonderful day.

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!

Samsung Ecommerce Customer Support

Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 6:36 AM
To: GCCECOMM1
Subject: EMAIL FORM

Question: All other products including Wi-Fi only Tablets
First Name: Don
Last Name: Brookshire
Email:
ZipCode:
Phone No.:
Subject: Part needed: Was told part is no longer available
Content: I have Samsung TV model: PN64F8500AFXZA. I ordered the Y-SUS Board (BN96-25216A) from Samsung parts but I received an email that said the part was no longer available. My TV is only two years old and the same model Samsung TV is still being sold new on ebay. Can you advise me on what I could/should do to obtain a new part or to resolve this problem? Thank you, Don Brookshire

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
That's pretty bad that Samsung blew you off like that. Basically telling you that you are on your own and can't help you. I'm sure if you called Samsung, and they sent out a authorized technician, that part would somehow be available to the tech. I would be insulted by their closing line. "Thank you for being a Samsung customer!"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Received this email this morning.

Customer reference number: 2137512941
Please quote your customer reference number when contacting Samsung
Email response ID: 2137512941

Dear Don Brookshire,

Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you are would like to replace the Y-SUS board on your TV model PN64F8500AFXZA and you have checked with our parts store, but it wasn't available. Please note that we at technical support do not have information about the parts availability and the part you are referring to is not a user replaceable part. However, if you wish you can replace it. You will need the service manual of the TV for the schematic diagram. You can purchase the service manual from the parts store. You can order manuals and parts by contacting our parts distributor, Samsung Parts, (also known as J&J Parts) at 1-800-627-4368 (Mon - Fri from 9:00 A.M to 8:30 P.M EST) or at http://www.samsungparts.com

You will need your model number. The complete model number can be located on the rear panel of your device. (You can also check with local store for the part)

If you have any more questions related to Samsung devices, feel free to contact us. We are available 24/7 to assist you.

If you would wish to reply via email, please click on the “Click here” link shown below in the Content Feedback section at the bottom of the email where it states, “If you have additional inquiries related to your original email, please click here”

For an interactive review of some of our Samsung products or just to gather more details on functionality of a product visit: http://samsungsimulator.com/

For Immediate assistance with a live agent,
you can chat with us
here

Samsung’s Social Media Team is available to assist with providing up-to-date information or answering
questions 24/7.

http://twitter.com/#!/samsungsupport
For support by phone, you can reach us at 1-800-SAMSUNG

Thank you for being a Samsung Customer!
Samsung Online Support

Kind regards,

Kathy B
Email Support
SAMSUNG Customer Support Center

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
That last email is a joke. In other words, they don't have the part, but they have the service manual you can buy that shows you how to replace the part, and they then tell you it's not a user replaceable part. Wow!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I received the Y-Board from the seller. The Y-Board was a salvaged board.
I installed the board but no resolution of the problem.
I have now ordered a complete salvaged television, said to be a new TV with a broken screen (cost $175) and all new boards. The TV was described as powering up as new but w/o a working screen. I'm hoping I can use the boards in that TV to determine which board(s) are defective in my TV.
I will post results as they are available.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I received the Y-Board from the seller. The Y-Board was a salvaged board.
I installed the board but no resolution of the problem.
I have now ordered a complete salvaged television, said to be a new TV with a broken screen (cost $175) and all new boards. The TV was described as powering up as new but w/o a working screen. I'm hoping I can use the boards in that TV to determine which board(s) are defective in my TV.
I will post results as they are available.
ok please do. I had to buy a cheap tv in the meantime while i try to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I still have not received the salvaged TV parts. I assume I got screwed on that purchase. I have not been able to contact the seller, whose voice mailbox is always filled and there is never a real person answering the phone.
Be careful with Marcos Electronics in San Antonio, and with Generalelectronisonline which is a variant of Marcos Electronics.

So, I gave up on trying to fix the TV myself and I loaded it up in the SUV to take it in for repair at the local TV repair service.
Unfortunately, in transport to the repair shop I somehow managed to break the glass in the TV and the repair guy said the replacement of the glass made the TV too expensive to repair. I didn't ask for a price for the glass replacement. Also unfortunately, I never learned what was originally wrong with the TV. Now I have multiple replacement boards and I don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad, since replacing the boards never made a difference in the TV. I hate to have to start looking for a new TV after just two years with this albatross. The plasma picture was exceptional and I'm not sure what to replace it with. Any thoughts on a reasonable replacement?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought an LG OLED TV to replace my Samsung plasma. I am more hopeful of the customer support from LG.

I have several of the boards for the Samsung model PN64F8500AFXZA if anyone is interested. I have three X boards, two Y boards, three main boards, three power supplies and two sets of Y-board upper and lower buffer boards and two sets of X-board buffer boards.
I will sell cheap. Let me know if interested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a slightly different model PS64F8500ARXZN but a similar issue. Problem started after 14 months so just outside of warranty.

For me it's a very specific problem though. If the TV has been on for a while then turned off, an immediate start will be fine. Similarly if you wait an hour or more it will start fine. However, if you try turning it on 5-10 minutes later it won't start. The screen stays black, and the red LED power light blinks slowly. You can then try to turn it on and off a few times it will start eventually.

After this 'non-start' the clock will always be reset to 01/01/2013.

Does your set of this as well?
So I had Samsung come and replace the Y-Main board and perform a factory reset. Now my wallet is lighter the set works perfectly. No power on issues and no HDMI issues anymore.

I also have my old Y-Main board if anyone wants it. This is from a PS64F8500ARXZN.

Cheers

21 - 40 of 567 Posts