AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 562 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I got my tv at Best Buy in 2013 (64”) also got the extended warranty at the time (expired now.) I never had any issues with it till last year (2018), The first symptoms I noticed were that sometimes when turning on the tv the display would not turn on though the audio would. So I would proceed to either turn the tv off and try turning it back on (sometimes it would not let me turn it off so I’d just have to unplug it and then plug it back in), This was very rare early on though it started to happen more frequently as time went on. The second symptom I noticed as more time went by was that the tv would not want to turn on at all, all we’d get is the blinking red light on the led indicator, sometimes if we waited for the flashing to stop and tried turning it on again it’d turn on and other times we’d have to wait longer or unplug the tv and then plug It back in which usually always worked, as with the previous issue this got worse as time went by. Fast forward to about 2 months ago (September 2019) the tv usually doesn’t turn on anymore However the red led indicator is on if it’s plugged in and will usually flash when we try turning it on. If it does turn on the tv works as normal no issues with display or sound and as long as we don’t turn it off it’ll stay on though we don’t want to leave it on all the time as I can’t imagine how high my light bill would get. I’ve called Best Buy for repair options but since my warranty had expired by the time the issue began they said there’s nothing they can do unless I’m willing to pay 250 for some geek squad protection plan for a year and then they can send out a technician who’ll diagnose the tv and tell me the repair costs which I’ll still be responsible for paying (parts and labor), I can’t seem to find any tv repair shops near me to take it into but after reading all of the posts on this topic I’m going to see if replacing the 3 caps works. Im not very tech savvy so I’m probably not going to attempt this myself and was wondering if there anyone here from Oregon who can/knows someone who can do this. I’m seeing a lot of people paying around 50-100 to do this which is something I’d be willing to pay as many of the lcd TVs I’ve seen (even the quantum dot ones) lack the quality imo and I currently Don’t have the budget to pay for an oled tv at the moment.

·
Registered
597 Posts
So I got my tv at Best Buy in 2013 (64”) also got the extended warranty at the time (expired now.) I never had any issues with it till last year (2018), The first symptoms I noticed were that sometimes when turning on the tv the display would not turn on though the audio would. So I would proceed to either turn the tv off and try turning it back on (sometimes it would not let me turn it off so I’d just have to unplug it and then plug it back in), This was very rare early on though it started to happen more frequently as time went on. The second symptom I noticed as more time went by was that the tv would not want to turn on at all, all we’d get is the blinking red light on the led indicator, sometimes if we waited for the flashing to stop and tried turning it on again it’d turn on and other times we’d have to wait longer or unplug the tv and then plug It back in which usually always worked, as with the previous issue this got worse as time went by. Fast forward to about 2 months ago (September 2019) the tv usually doesn’t turn on anymore However the red led indicator is on if it’s plugged in and will usually flash when we try turning it on. If it does turn on the tv works as normal no issues with display or sound and as long as we don’t turn it off it’ll stay on though we don’t want to leave it on all the time as I can’t imagine how high my light bill would get. I’ve called Best Buy for repair options but since my warranty had expired by the time the issue began they said there’s nothing they can do unless I’m willing to pay 250 for some geek squad protection plan for a year and then they can send out a technician who’ll diagnose the tv and tell me the repair costs which I’ll still be responsible for paying (parts and labor), I can’t seem to find any tv repair shops near me to take it into but after reading all of the posts on this topic I’m going to see if replacing the 3 caps works. Im not very tech savvy so I’m probably not going to attempt this myself and was wondering if there anyone here from Oregon who can/knows someone who can do this. I’m seeing a lot of people paying around 50-100 to do this which is something I’d be willing to pay as many of the lcd TVs I’ve seen (even the quantum dot ones) lack the quality imo and I currently Don’t have the budget to pay for an oled tv at the moment.
From the symptoms you describe, it's a very high probability that it is the 3 caps issue; almost a textbook case (and exactly the same as mine).

When I decided to fix mine, I took the back off the TV and removed the Y-Sustain board. Be warned that the connectors to the board are very tight, and will fight you taking them off. I felt competent to work through that.

I did not feel competent to replace the 3 caps, so I Googled electronics repair in and found a guy who did it for $50 (I carried the board into his shop). You may want to try that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went ahead and ordered a few of the caps from the link (should arrive by the 27) now just looking for someone who can do an In House repair (I did find someone but they won’t be able to until early next year but I want it fixed now lol). also I don’t have a vehicle to transport this tv in (had an accident earlier this year and totaled my suv) and as I mentioned I just don’t feel capable of doing the replacement or taking out the y board or whatever it’s called. I did see a video on YouTube of someone taking it out but I I’d just rather have someone more knowledgeable either fix it with the y board intact or someone who can remove it and then repair it. Also for some reason the tv was actually useable all day today (November 24) I turned it on and off more than once Throughout the day and for some reason it’s been working fine...it’s currently November 25th around 5 am and I just turned off the tv and then back on and it started up with no issues......I hope it stays useable till I can get someone to do the repair. I’m currently stuck using a 32” Sony lcd.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have the 64" model and bought a power supply board from tvpartstoday.com and my tv now works fine.
They seem to have the y-board and main board for your tv as well. Maybe try and change the y-board first?
Hi danfuglo, thanks for the reply ,appreciate it.

My friend has the same model and waiting for them to
bring it over so we can swap boards to see which one is causing the problem.

Once we figure which board is the culprit I can order from tvpartstoday.com

I'll report back ,thanks !

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I quoted several to give a heads up because I think I found the problem.

I have the 60" F8500 which looks different than the 64" model and none of those capacitors are present in that location, see post #226 for pics of the 64" boards.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1959809-samsung-pn64f8500afxza-issues-turning-8.html#post50174321

I've been waiting for a friend to bring over their TV {same model} to swap boards to see which board was causing my problem. Blinks Red 5 times ,sound comes on but no picture.

Anyway in the meantime I took off the back cover to examine for blown fuses , couldn't find anything. I took pictures with my cell so I could zoom in on board numbers in case I had to order a board.

When I zoomed in on pictures I noticed something, see if you can notice it too. I just want to make sure I'm not imagining what I'm seeing is the problem. It wasn't noticeable when I was eyeballing it with a flashlight,I only noticed it when zooming in on the pictures.

I'm uploading several pics so you can compare my 60" to the 64" and several others to see if anyone can spot what I spotted.

See pics on bottom of post and be sure to zoom in.

Thanks

I am having the same issues as everyone else here. Blinking light, not turning on all the time, etc. I have realized as long as i dont turn it off, it stays on. I only have the issue when I turn the tv off. For now I am turning my system off at the Pre/Pro, then the tv goes into screen saver mode. I have ordered the following board from Amazon to see if this fixes my issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Z7HBM0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Good luck - I gave up and bought a UN65JU7100 from Amazon for $1500 after replacing every board. Even got another exact same TV with same issues from someone else and spent two weekends swapping back and forth. BTW this is the last 3D TV Samsung line they produced. And for an LCD I am quite impressed with the picture, but plasma has a much cleaner action picture.
this is why i'm glad i gave up after 2 boards on my tv. didnt wanna toss good after bad and you are proof that replacing boards wont cure it necessarily. now i wish someone would buy mine with the 2 new boards and prove me wrong though.
Local TV shop said the PDP was shorted! Said he had seen it before.
From the symptoms you describe, it's a very high probability that it is the 3 caps issue; almost a textbook case (and exactly the same as mine).

When I decided to fix mine, I took the back off the TV and removed the Y-Sustain board. Be warned that the connectors to the board are very tight, and will fight you taking them off. I felt competent to work through that.

I did not feel competent to replace the 3 caps, so I Googled electronics repair in and found a guy who did it for $50 (I carried the board into his shop). You may want to try that.
I went ahead and ordered a few of the caps from the link (should arrive by the 27) now just looking for someone who can do an In House repair (I did find someone but they won’t be able to until early next year but I want it fixed now lol). also I don’t have a vehicle to transport this tv in (had an accident earlier this year and totaled my suv) and as I mentioned I just don’t feel capable of doing the replacement or taking out the y board or whatever it’s called. I did see a video on YouTube of someone taking it out but I I’d just rather have someone more knowledgeable either fix it with the y board intact or someone who can remove it and then repair it. Also for some reason the tv was actually useable all day today (November 24) I turned it on and off more than once Throughout the day and for some reason it’s been working fine...it’s currently November 25th around 5 am and I just turned off the tv and then back on and it started up with no issues......I hope it stays useable till I can get someone to do the repair. I’m currently stuck using a 32” Sony lcd.
I am having the same issues as everyone else here. Blinking light, not turning on all the time, etc. I have realized as long as i dont turn it off, it stays on. I only have the issue when I turn the tv off. For now I am turning my system off at the Pre/Pro, then the tv goes into screen saver mode. I have ordered the following board from Amazon to see if this fixes my issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Z7HBM0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Good luck - I gave up and bought a UN65JU7100 from Amazon for $1500 after replacing every board. Even got another exact same TV with same issues from someone else and spent two weekends swapping back and forth. BTW this is the last 3D TV Samsung line they produced. And for an LCD I am quite impressed with the picture, but plasma has a much cleaner action picture.
this is why i'm glad i gave up after 2 boards on my tv. didnt wanna toss good after bad and you are proof that replacing boards wont cure it necessarily. now i wish someone would buy mine with the 2 new boards and prove me wrong though.
Local TV shop said the PDP was shorted! Said he had seen it before.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Here's an up close picture of the bottom 2 legs . Notice how the solder looks broken .

Right click to open to see enlarged picture.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the caps replaced earlier today and so far the tv now turns on and off with no problems it’s still early but I’m thinking my issue has been resolved. I did notice another Isaí pop up though whenever I put my tv on the “standard” mode the brightness starts decreasing until its pretty much dark. I switched it to other modes (movie, relax, and dynamic) and I haven’t noticed it dimming in any of these other modes. It’s a pretty noticeable dim that it didn’t use to do, we normally have it on dynamic as that’s where my family likes it but we use to sometimes switch it to standard and now we can’t as the image dims way too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wanted to pass my info/experience along, maybe it'll help someone.

Samsung 64 plasma, PN64F8500AFXZA

Had no power, no red light, no sounds, nothing.

Read here that it's probably the power board/supply.

I did some searches and found refurbished ones, etc.

Then I found Nick's tv in Tucson, they are online and ebay, nickstvs

I send in my power board and they test and fix it if they can for $100

I figured to take a chance, because in my mind, if this didn't fix it, I'd be buying a new TV, as I didn't want to go down the road of spending $500 + dollars.

Anyway, they found it to be defective, fixed it and I have this awesome TV back on line.

Good Luck out there fellow Plasma aficionado's
:cool:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sigh... nice timing before christmas... my European ps64F8505 plasma died just now.

I had the capacitor issue some years ago with the red led blinking etc but this is
different. Completely dead, no sound/clicking when power is on/off.

So could this be a fuse issue?
Or how do I test the power board?

Edit: I have some pictures from when I fixed the capacitors and it seems the power supply is BN44-00603A PSPF881503A

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I send in my power board and they test and fix it if they can for $100

I figured to take a chance, because in my mind, if this didn't fix it, I'd be buying a new TV, as I didn't want to go down the road of spending $500 + dollars.

Anyway, they found it to be defective, fixed it and I have this awesome TV back on line.
Do you know how they repaired it? (what they replaced etc)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sigh... nice timing before christmas... my European ps64F8505 plasma died just now.

I had the capacitor issue some years ago with the red led blinking etc but this is
different. Completely dead, no sound/clicking when power is on/off.

I have some pictures from when I fixed the capacitors and it seems the power supply is BN44-00603A PSPF881503A
So, the Samsung is now on it's third life: I bought a new power supply board and voila! :)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Did you have to solder?
No. This one is much easier than the capacitor fix. Just three cords to remove from their plastic sockets and a few screws which holds the board in place.

I also measured VS, Vscan, VA and VE and they are now all spot on or very close to the values on the label on the backside of the panel.
I tried to get VS to 211 but ended up with 211.2 and VA to 58 but got 57.99. Vscan was spot on at -198 and VE was 94.9, should be 95 according to the label.

According to Samsung:
"Each plasma panel has a unique voltage setting required to display a picture
properly and maintain long life. Incorrect adjustment of the power supply can create
picture errors. Whenever a power supply board is replaced the new board must be
adjusted to match the panel values shown on the sticker.
If a power supply board is replaced it is imperative that the new power supply be
adjusted to match the existing panel settings. Incorrect adjustment can cause the
picture to be too dark or too bright. Extreme misadjustment can greatly reduce
panel life.
These adjustments must be performed when the SMPS or the panel is replaced."

Note: these values should also be checked and if needed, adjusted, if you replace the capacitors!!

Edit: added pics from Samsung material.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does the capacitor fix mean replacing capacitors on the power supply board? So if you replace the power supply board you're also getting those new capacitors?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Possible to just buy a new Y board too? Where can you find these boards?
If you search for BN44-00603A PSPF881503A (if that is the board you have/want), you will find it still available at some places.
But I asked the local Samsung support where to get it and they gave me the names of two of their service partners here in Sweden
and that seemed safer, albeit more expensive, than ordering from an unknown company on the other side of the world.
They did not have it listed on their website but when I asked about it, they could get it added and then I ordered it.

It was advertised as "factory sealed" (warranty: 1 year. Perfect condition. With logo/seal from manufacturer.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you search for BN44-00603A PSPF881503A (if that is the board you have/want), you will find it still available at some places.
But I asked the local Samsung support where to get it and they gave me the names of two of their service partners here in Sweden
and that seemed safer, albeit more expensive, than ordering from an unknown company on the other side of the world.
They did not have it listed on their website but when I asked about it, they could get it added and then I ordered it.

It was advertised as "factory sealed" (warranty: 1 year. Perfect condition. With logo/seal from manufacturer.)
I guess they bought it from "an unknown company on the other side of the world" and uplifted accordingly :)
In any case great to see these great TVs keep going, mine still goes strong, I bought spare a number of years ago dirt cheap and I have fitted fans at the back that switch on when the TV switches on. Keeping it cool prolongs the life immensely.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I guess they bought it from "an unknown company on the other side of the world" and uplifted accordingly :)
Maybe so but they are an official Samsung Authorized Parts Distributor and seem to be doing 2nd level support for Samsung as well so that seemed the safest option for me.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
What is your opinion on leaving it on standby or cutting the power completely while not in use?
Ever since I did the capacitor soldering, my wife insists on pulling the plug after setting it to standby but
I wonder if that could have shortened the life of the power supply board?

501 - 520 of 562 Posts