AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 65F8500 that has sound but no picture at all! Im being told its probably the Y Sustain board and just change out the 3 capacitors--does this sound like the logical fix?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I have a 65F8500 that has sound but no picture at all! Im being told its probably the Y Sustain board and just change out the 3 capacitors--does this sound like the logical fix?
Any action on the red LED lamp directly after power on?

See the pdf for further diagnosis.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Looks like it blinks 10 times with a pause then 4 more at a slightly higher blink rate?
Yes, that is close enough (hard to count the blinking....) to be the same as I had:
9 blinks (0.5 sec) with a 4 second pause in between.
4 blinks (1 sec) with a 1 second pause in between.
Then sound came on but still a black screen.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, that is close enough (hard to count the blinking....) to be the same as I had:
9 blinks (0.5 sec) with a 4 second pause.
4 blinks (1 sec) with a 1 second pause.
Then sound came on but still a black screen.
Yep ONLY sound no picture----I found the Capacitors and will be here thursday, Im gonna pull the board off and bring it into my work shop and replace all 3!! hopefully that is it

·
Registered
598 Posts
SO before I tear crap up lol--how do i get that one connector OFF (the flat one with blue). and Im guessing the other just pulls out after unbolting? thanks~.

UPDATE I GOT IT OFF! waiting for parts
I found that one tricky to get off as well.

I also found it tricky to get back on.

Put the cable in, snap the latch shut, cable falls out. Repeat a few times. Finally, cable stays in. Turn on the TV, and it does not work. Make a concerted effort to really seat the cable good. Then the TV works great. That was my experience with it.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
SO before I tear crap up lol--how do i get that one connector OFF (the flat one with blue). and Im guessing the other just pulls out after unbolting? thanks~.

UPDATE I GOT IT OFF! waiting for parts
I didn't have any problems with that one.
The board itself was a bit harder, I recall I had to pry with a small flat screwdriver on the left side, gentle and a small step at a time before it loosened.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I de-soldered the Caps and they all were around 8.5uF cold, until I applied a little heat to each one, 2 of them dropped slowly thru 7.5uF and 1 shot to the roof above 16uF---so pretty sure that is the bad one! I will know tomorrow on the outcome!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I de-soldered the Caps and they all were around 8.5uF cold, until I applied a little heat to each one, 2 of them dropped slowly thru 7.5uF and 1 shot to the roof above 16uF---so pretty sure that is the bad one! I will know tomorrow on the outcome!
Hmm, ok. The recommended way was this
Snip off each capacitor with diagonal cutters, then tack-solder the new capacitors into position at the top of the board beginning with the center capacitor location for ease of installation. Inspect both the top and bottom of the board solder pads.
Note: Since the Y-Board is multi layer, its safer to snip off each capacitor than trying to unsolder them.
but you seem to know what you are doing so I hope it works out for you!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
After fixing the common no picture issue by replacing the 3 small capacitors, I now have another issue caused by kids throwing things at the tv! They dented the bottom of the frame and now I have no picture and an extremely loud buzzing noise, but I still get sound and can change channels.

Any ideas on what to look for to fix it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
After fixing the common no picture issue by replacing the 3 small capacitors, I now have another issue caused by kids throwing things at the tv! They dented the bottom of the frame and now I have no picture and an extremely loud buzzing noise, but I still get sound and can change channels.

Any ideas on what to look for to fix it would be much appreciated!
Nevermind with the aid of a torch I just found a small 1.5 inch crack on the inside screen (not the front glass), which I'm guessing means the tv is beyond repair :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nevermind with the aid of a torch I just found a small 1.5 inch crack on the inside screen (not the front glass), which I'm guessing means the tv is beyond repair :(
Hi all. I have a 60" F8500 that unfortunately started the slow start issue. Not ready to give up on plasma I just purchased a 64" F8500 with 3500 hrs for $600. At some point I will repair the 60" and keep it. The 64" had been calibrated, has not been factory reset, and I want to take notes on ALL settings prior to reset. How do I get access to all the settings I will need to take note of so I can input them after reset and maintain the calibration settings. Also see the hours of operation. Anything else?
Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 5 tear old 64" unit with under 1000 hours on it. However since day 1 it has had the notorious plasma buzz. Recently I stumbled into this thread about the Samsung plasma failures and people mentioning replacing the capacitors. Just wondering if that is the fix to my buzzing noise as well, or is that something completely different? TV still turns on and works just fine (knock on wood)!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I need help. Please help me save this great piece of tech.

Measured voltages per the guide. They check out fine. Replaced the 3 caps with new ones. No power on.

Screen flickers for a split second. 4 blinks on front LED. Do I try a different y board? Power supply? Main board?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Probably needs a new power supply board, if you can find one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you. That's my suspicion, but wondered if anyone had seen the same thing and had success.

I've touched up some of the connections on it a couple of times and that worked. May give it one more try. Kind of tired of messing with that and may just try to find another though. It probably has some failing or failed parts on it that soldering won't help but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone's fixed one and what parts go bad on it.

521 - 540 of 566 Posts