AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 562 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine had caps changed and power supply changed years ago, since then rock solid, what a TV though still amazing picture, will keep it as long as possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Disappointed here.
New power supply from eBay and still just getting 5 led blinks. Screen flickers for a second but it's still not starting up :(

Guess I can try pulling the y board and really checking the soldering on the 3 caps but I don't think that's the problem.

Reading voltages across them as they should and where the service bulletin says.

Anyone else repair any other parts on those???
I don't want to have to also buy a y board if I don't need to.
Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Y board on the way.

Looks original with no replaced caps. No idea if it'll work.

If it doesn't work I don't know what's next. Hopefully see the part by end of week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
WOW, great to see so many who were able to fix their sets since this thread started! I was one of the original folks early on collaborating with others here and the 3 caps fix worked strong for ~4 years. Crazy to see 28 pages of comments now :D. Yesterday the power went out completely on the set and while we love the picture on this TV, I am thinking 7 years out of it has been a good run and likely time to just upgrade. If anyone lives in MA/NH area and wants to take a crack at fixing it for themselves, shoot me an email. mikehawkes_2000 at the y a h/ oo place. It could be just the power board but I am not up to troubleshooting again this time around :) Take care!

·
Registered
17 Posts
WOW, great to see so many who were able to fix their sets since this thread started! I was one of the original folks early on collaborating with others here and the 3 caps fix worked strong for ~4 years. Crazy to see 28 pages of comments now :D. Yesterday the power went out completely on the set and while we love the picture on this TV, I am thinking 7 years out of it has been a good run and likely time to just upgrade. If anyone lives in MA/NH area and wants to take a crack at fixing it for themselves, shoot me an email. mikehawkes_2000 at the y a h/ oo place. It could be just the power board but I am not up to troubleshooting again this time around :) Take care!
***Update, not available for pickup as after reading more input around the power issue itself I began resetting all of the clips within the set as a last ditch effort as I was not going to put any $ into replacing the power supply. Along with testing the fuses, which were fine, when I sought to power it back up, it surprisingly turned back on. I am hard pressed to think this will have fixed it forever but again, the set has given us 7 years and happy to have this amazing picture back for a while longer. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm hoping for some help. I've read through every post in this thread now and still don't have a clear answer. Has anyone successfully resolved the classic capacitor issues in a 51'' or 60'' model. In that case, what capacitors are most likely to need replacing? I have a 51'' with the classic capacitor symptoms and was really hoping for some insight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem was yesterday I repaired my TV 64F8500. I replaced 3 of the ceramic capacitor 106(10uf 50v) on the photo Board Y for the same. The problem is that the total capacity of the capacitors 10uf x 3=30uf, and my 3 capacitors had dried up to the total value 21uf. I can assume the loss of a capacitors capacity to 22-23uf TV starts to act up. In General, my TV works 2 days no problem after the self-replacement of the capacitor. It is also possible to supply the electrolyte 33uf, 47uf and maybe. So what you are looking for an expensive Y charge if the problem is known and is almost free.
Hi, I have a problem with my pn64f8500, for some reason as soon as I turned on it turn off again I can see the screen change to a lighter dark color but after maybe 4 seconds it turn off and turn on over and over by itself , I have to unplugged to stop the sycle , any advice on what can possibly be wrong with my tv? I don't want to replaced it, I can tell you that I haven't seen a better quality picture on any tv. Please
help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two weeks now and still running strong!! I ordered 12 of the capacitors after an extensive search for these things so as to have 3 additional sets should this happen again in a couple of years and beyond. Thanks again for the pics!
Can you please send the info on where do you get them? Model? Part number?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The mouser link in the thread here should still be valid. Think it was page 6

If the board has the original capacitors this is likely what's failed. If it's something else, you can also test for it. For a few bucks, those capacitors aren't a bad start. Note that they're pretty small and not the easiest to solder in. Also, be careful. High voltage may be present etc. Nobody here is responsible for your safety if you decide to operate on your TV.

Update on my saga.

Found out how to test if the panel was still good and it seems to be.
So I now know I need a main board.

Also found out the reason for main board failure. Likely EEPROM. Why such a thing fails? That I don't know. .

Also, the Y board I got came with buffer boards. Figured I'd put those in too but there's one really weird minor difference on them so I might swap the originals back in. Not sure. They're kind of tedious to mess with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A few different things.

One, the top board doesn't have the foam pads on the top two chips. Not sure that really matters.

Two, the replacement ones are missing a little "bridge" component. I'm not sure what type of component that is, but it's lacking one on top and bottom. Not broken off I don't think, as it feels smooth. Just gone.

Three, the second line on the chips seems like a date code? It seems like a later number? Different in any case. Top row is same, so I'd guess they're basically the same chip.

I think at this point I'll leave them in as the screen seemed to work. Unless anyone believes this may be a problem? Maybe some revision on different panels would make it a better idea to put old ones back???

·
Registered
17 Posts
^lucky you!

Y board replacement didn't help my case. Still have 5 blinks. Is it worth trying the other 2 boards?
Hey there - I have not read all of what you have tried aside from your most recent but if you have the boards, why not. If you do not, I would not put much more money into a set which is already 7 years old despite the amazing picture. Not sure if you live close but if you are near MA/NH, you are welcome to my set (free of charge of course). The power went out again and while I know I can reseat the clips to bring it back, am not going to let the opportunity of my wife telling me we can just buy a new one slip by :D If your only issue is the blinks, you can pull the capacitor issue board from mine and place into yours or simply just put your main power supply board into mine. I do not come here too often so feel free to shoot me an email mikehawkes_2000 at Yhoo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm hoping for some help. I've read through every post in this thread now and still don't have a clear answer. Has anyone successfully resolved the classic capacitor issues in a 51'' or 60'' model. In that case, what capacitors are most likely to need replacing? I have a 51'' with the classic capacitor symptoms and was really hoping for some insight.
I cannot tell you for certain as I have the 64" model for which this thread began. I have to believe the smaller sets are simply screen size differences only and while I do not want to sift through all comments to find, I thought I saw someone post they did indeed have success on a smaller version with the same symptoms. If you can find the capacitors as shown in previous pics, it will only cost you $2.97 for the capacitors to give it a shot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey there - I have not read all of what you have tried aside from your most recent but if you have the boards, why not. If you do not, I would not put much more money into a set which is already 7 years old despite the amazing picture. Not sure if you live close but if you are near MA/NH, you are welcome to my set (free of charge of course). The power went out again and while I know I can reseat the clips to bring it back, am not going to let the opportunity of my wife telling me we can just buy a new one slip by :D If your only issue is the blinks, you can pull the capacitor issue board from mine and place into yours or simply just put your main power supply board into mine. I do not come here too often so feel free to shoot me an email mikehawkes_2000 at Yhoo.
Not close, but dang, I'd totally go if I could.

Got a main board and it's back in business.

I'd already spent money on boards I didn't need (Y and power), when it was the main the whole time.

If only I would have known how to generate the test signal.
(Pins 3 and 4 on main board. The top two of a 4 hole thing.......)

In any case, it was still only a few hundred. Right at my limit for putting that money towards a new set. May try to fix the old Y board back up and sell it. Probably have to recycle the others.

Worth fixing. Was living with an old bedroom 42" LCD. A circa 2009 LG. My goodness we've missed this plasma! Not just the size, but everything else.

Hope it lasts a while longer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not close, but dang, I'd totally go if I could.

Got a main board and it's back in business.

I'd already spent money on boards I didn't need (Y and power), when it was the main the whole time.

If only I would have known how to generate the test signal.
(Pins 3 and 4 on main board. The top two of a 4 hole thing.......)

In any case, it was still only a few hundred. Right at my limit for putting that money towards a new set. May try to fix the old Y board back up and sell it. Probably have to recycle the others.

Worth fixing. Was living with an old bedroom 42" LCD. A circa 2009 LG. My goodness we've missed this plasma! Not just the size, but everything else.

Hope it lasts a while longer.
Hey there - This is crazy as I seem to keep bringing this set back to life and get a couple of weeks before I lose it again.

I am not certain which clips I am undoing and reseating which resuscitates it, if it has anything to do with swapping the two fuses (unlikely) or simply leaving it powered down for a while and then plugging it back in but this thing is a beast and wants to live on :D Either way, I am happy I keep bringing it back as I am long past traditional troubleshooting and simply throwing up hailmary's at this point but the set keeps catching them. My question to you is in the 1st image below, which board is this considered? This seems to be the one causing my issue where you can see in closeup (2nd image), the green LED lights up in letting me know it has come back for me. AGAIN trying to figure out if I want to spend money to replace this board and keep the set running due to it's picture quality. :)

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's The main board.

I'm not sure if the power supply took mine out or not. Probably not. Either way, I don't know what I'd do if mine fails again. Might try to fix again, but might be mad enough at it to replace and then repair later and put it in another room or something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should really look at the y board on the left and be sure you don't still have the 3 original caps. That's also one of the main reasons they don't turn on reliably.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You should really look at the y board on the left and be sure you don't still have the 3 original caps. That's also one of the main reasons they don't turn on reliably.
:) I am one of the original posters to this thread and was the one who tracked down these caps. They have been running strong for years. You have me thinking now. While completely different symptoms, I may swap them out once again as I ordered a dozen of them at the time and should I toss the set, they would become useless anyhow.

Do you have a link for a main board by chance? I can search this thread later but need to head out for now. Take care

541 - 560 of 562 Posts