AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 567 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Have just replaced the power supply board and now I have the red light back, blinking to tell me to go fix the Y board...I cannot figure out how to remove the Y board !?! Can anyone tell me how to release those six wide plugs down the left side of the board so I can remove the card and replace the three caps ? TIA

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have just replaced the power supply board and now I have the red light back, blinking to tell me to go fix the Y board...I cannot figure out how to remove the Y board !?! Can anyone tell me how to release those six wide plugs down the left side of the board so I can remove the card and replace the three caps ? TIA
You need to use something to gently pry them apart, they're just pressure fit place so once you get the top and bottom clips to release the rest will come out without any problem. A plastic wedge or micro flathead would be the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience with my 2 year old 60F8500 (bought July 2014):

While watching, picture goes out but audio remains. After powering on/powering off the unit several times, I was unable to get the picture back. My research on this forum (big thanks to all that posted on their own experiences) led me to the Y Sustain board which seems to be one of the bigger problem areas for plasma displays that experience issues.

I was able to find a used Y sustain board which did the trick. Easy enough fix, removing the back cover, disconnect 2 connectors on the board and the connectors to the Y buffers (which are quite snug!) and then swapping the new board in. Powering up confirms that this works - boot up logo, and picture!

My concern now is ensuring this doesn't happen again. I am not really sure how widespread this issue is for the F8500 as opposed to normal, but from what I have read it seems the Y sustain board is no longer manufactured, which disappoints me tremendously as a customer whose 2 year old flagship product is no longer supported even for repair.

Now I have a non working Y board which I would be interested in learning how to rebuild. Earlier threads pointed to a capacitor issue that was fixed for the 64 inch version. If we could find a similar fix for the 51 and 60 inch versions that would be awesome.

For those whose sets have experienced a similar issue, I'd encourage owners not to give up and try to troubleshoot the boards. Short of panel replacement, this plasma set is definitely worth the effort to save. Simultaneously I have to chide Samsung for their non-support of this otherwise great performing product, and their effort to turn their customers into electronics repairmen...

Thanks again to the posters who share their experiences on this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience with my 2 year old 60F8500 (bought July 2014):

While watching, picture goes out but audio remains. After powering on/powering off the unit several times, I was unable to get the picture back. My research on this forum (big thanks to all that posted on their own experiences) led me to the Y Sustain board which seems to be one of the bigger problem areas for plasma displays that experience issues.

I was able to find a used Y sustain board which did the trick. Easy enough fix, removing the back cover, disconnect 2 connectors on the board and the connectors to the Y buffers (which are quite snug!) and then swapping the new board in. Powering up confirms that this works - boot up logo, and picture!

My concern now is ensuring this doesn't happen again. I am not really sure how widespread this issue is for the F8500 as opposed to normal, but from what I have read it seems the Y sustain board is no longer manufactured, which disappoints me tremendously as a customer whose 2 year old flagship product is no longer supported even for repair.

Now I have a non working Y board which I would be interested in learning how to rebuild. Earlier threads pointed to a capacitor issue that was fixed for the 64 inch version. If we could find a similar fix for the 51 and 60 inch versions that would be awesome.

For those whose sets have experienced a similar issue, I'd encourage owners not to give up and try to troubleshoot the boards. Short of panel replacement, this plasma set is definitely worth the effort to save. Simultaneously I have to chide Samsung for their non-support of this otherwise great performing product, and their effort to turn their customers into electronics repairmen...

Thanks again to the posters who share their experiences on this forum.
Where did you locate the boards. I replaced my y board 2 years ago. I need to find another. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My PN64F8500 does not power off, but the picture goes off after 15-20 minutes and can take some time before it will turn on again. Is this a different issue? Samsung tech says I need a new panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where did you locate the boards. I replaced my y board 2 years ago. I need to find another. Any help would be appreciated.
Hope your Y board is holding up well. I found my Y sustain board on ebay. Just took a chance as you don't really know the state of these boards when you get it or if they really came from working sets, but I preferred that to having a fully dead plasma TV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My PN64F8500 does not power off, but the picture goes off after 15-20 minutes and can take some time before it will turn on again. Is this a different issue? Samsung tech says I need a new panel.
My issues seemed a little different - as my set would seem to power on, but I would not get any picture on screen after it does (no boot logo, nothing). The samsung tech support also mentioned it as highly likely as a panel issue -- but I didn't buy that explanation and figured that if there are parts in there I can replace short of the panel itself, it was worth a shot.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to hear if there are other F8500 owners out there that still have fully working sets that have not had any issues after 2-3 years of this model being out, just to get an idea of how widespread this is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My good friend has the Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA and he loves it, as do I. Picture quality to both of us is as good as a 2015 65" LG OLED. Of course that is a very subjective opinion, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

My 64" plasma also had just stopped working. I'm somewhat decent with electrical components. I assumed my power board was to blame. I pulled board off and after a little time with multimeter I found an10v 250a fuse was blown. I locally sourced a new one and "repaired" board or so I thought. I reinstalled board, hooked to power and attempted to power up. I watched as fuse blew again. I have assumed until reading al of your post my power supply board has an internal part not visually seen that is bad.

Now after seeing more information about these blue ceramic parts that could be to blame, I have stopped my trip to a local repair shop. My board looks different as the one that our other member has talked about repairing. I found 3 little ones in a line, but how do I know if those are "the ones?"

I like this TV and my wife loves it. I have only had it bought new a little over 3 years ago. Both my Samsung phones has problems and now this 2500+ tv too. I went and bought a 4K LG 64 inch and it just didn't compare. Needless to say, I took it back. I have been instructed to get this one repaired.

Finally, I'm guess and old schooler. I like the repair process and not just the idea that they can be repaired as opposed to trashing and getting a new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well based on the first picture you posted your plasma is not an F8500 so your issue likely not the same as the y-sustain issue this thread has been mostly discussing. The blue ceramics we've been discussing are capacitors and the issue is over time they loose their ability to store/buffer charge thus preventing the y-sustain board from receiving the amount of conditioned current it needs to operate. Since your power supply board is blowing fuses it's acutally receiving more current than it can handle which is a very different problem. Personally I'd look at buying a replacement power supply board.

Most of us here would have happily gone the "buy a replacement y-sustain from Samsung" route to fix our F8500s. Due to Samsung's crappy customer service and parts inventory planning there are no more replacement boards available for purchase which is why troubleshooting the blown caps and replacing them has been an active topic. In your case I think you're grasping at an unrelated straw here, sorry :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys,

I've got the same problem with my plasma PS64F8500 and the Y-board after 2 years and half. I did the replacement for the capacitors and the tv revives !!!

Thanks to you guys because the shop told me they can't repair or change the board.

However since it works again I lost like 10 cm at the bottom of the screen. Do you have the same problem after ?

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I assume the horizontal line of the image meets the additional part (second) Y-Board on which are fastened the plumes of the panel. Try to move the train or pristegnuty (open and close latch, snap hook) connector with Flex cable from the panel. Also on this Board used the blue ceramic capacitors 106 (10uf 50V), perhaps they, too, can affect the operation of the circuits. So they better also to check for capacity loss.
And also check for proper connection of the signal cable Y-adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recommend when you replace 3 capacitors 106 ,not to solder them directly to the PCB and solder bridging (additional) legs, and these legs to solder the capacitors 106. This will allow in the future the next time you replace dried capacitors, easy to replace the capacitors , without complex removal (extraction) Y-Board even without the wizard himself. I personally soldered as pictured and when replacing capacitors you need to remove only the rear cover of the TV and everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the issue of no picture on startup with sound coming on after a few minutes. I metered the 3 10uf caps configured in parallel(10 +10 +10 = 30uf) on the Y board and found them to be ~23uf total. ~24% low. I added some more 50v ceramic caps to bring it up to 32uf but the tv would still not started. So I replaced all 3 10mf 50v capacitors with some good quality multilayer ceramic capacitors from TDK. This fix the issue and the set is now working without issue. The total capacitance of the new capacitors metered ~31uf after being installed. It seems to me that there maybe other issues besides the low capacitance perhaps the ESR. In any case my TV is working perfectly now and I would like to thank this form for providing the information that allowed me to successfully repair this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the issue of no picture on startup with sound coming on after a few minutes. I metered the 3 10uf caps configured in parallel(10 +10 +10 = 30uf) on the Y board and found them to be ~23uf total. ~24% low. I added some more 50v ceramic caps to bring it up to 32uf but the tv would still not started. So I replaced all 3 10mf 50v capacitors with some good quality multilayer ceramic capacitors from TDK. This fix the issue and the set is now working without issue. The total capacitance of the new capacitors metered ~31uf after being installed. It seems to me that there maybe other issues besides the low capacitance perhaps the ESR. In any case my TV is working perfectly now and I would like to thank this form for providing the information that allowed me to successfully repair this issue.
Successfully replaced the 3 ceramic caps and the TV works again. Just for reference the ceramic caps are not polarized, doesn't matter which way you install them. The Y sus board that I worked on was completely missing the electrolytic cap on the end, so I guess they felt it wasn't needed in a later revision. As was stated above, the caps we replaced were within spec for capacitance rating, three in parallel measuring 28uF altogether (30uF with 10% tolerance). When I connected the old ones to my ESR meter however, they ranged from 0.06 to 0.10 ohms. All of the new TDK ones I bought that were linked earlier measured 0.01 ohms consistently. I suspect the issue is ESR.

Regardless, thank you people of AVS.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello all,

My 64" plasma also had just stopped working. I'm somewhat decent with electrical components. I assumed my power board was to blame. I pulled board off and after a little time with multimeter I found an10v 250a fuse was blown. I locally sourced a new one and "repaired" board or so I thought. I reinstalled board, hooked to power and attempted to power up. I watched as fuse blew again. I have assumed until reading al of your post my power supply board has an internal part not visually seen that is bad.

Now after seeing more information about these blue ceramic parts that could be to blame, I have stopped my trip to a local repair shop. My board looks different as the one that our other member has talked about repairing. I found 3 little ones in a line, but how do I know if those are "the ones?"

I like this TV and my wife loves it. I have only had it bought new a little over 3 years ago. Both my Samsung phones has problems and now this 2500+ tv too. I went and bought a 4K LG 64 inch and it just didn't compare. Needless to say, I took it back. I have been instructed to get this one repaired.

Finally, I'm guess and old schooler. I like the repair process and not just the idea that they can be repaired as opposed to trashing and getting a new one.
This appears to be the 5300 series which is the same one I have except in a 60". I have the same problem, that fuse went out and I have yet to get it repaired though. I believe there is a thread on our particular model but am not certain about it. If you have any success in repairing your set please post you results.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1746610-samsung-pn60f5300-no-power.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Count me in as another who successfully repaired a 64F8500 by replacing the 3 caps on the Y-Board. Used the method described above of snipping the old caps and soldering to the remaining stems. If I have to do this again in the future, I might try to replace the caps without removing the Y-Board as the board removal and re-installation was aggravating. Though I hope this fix is enough to carry me to the point where I replace the set with an OLED.

141 - 160 of 567 Posts