AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 3220 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman58 /forum/post/16485903


OK, fair enough. Learn something new every day. I'd be happy to get the 850 and make the change if the warranty is not voided.


And, of course, I'd be happy to save the $100 like everyone ... just not if it voided the warranty (what is the reference to "technically does not" mean).


Regarding my pay level ... no, not quite up to the quoted level but not far off. But, I have a feeling that I have a few years on you :).

Well, it only voids the warranty if you screw it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike /forum/post/16484519


hehe.. No, it does not bother me at all. You are very welcome.. I just think that the cinema smooth discussion can stay at that other tread since it is allready so many post there.. Regarding the engine.. If you check out other countrys, like f eks the netherland (they have the 850), and you can see in the spec that also this have cinema smooth.. IT is THIS engine that are running the process of cinema smooth.. So there you go...

http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/d...XXC&fullspec=F

http://www.samsung.com/no/consumer/d...XXE&fullspec=F

jenseike,


While I understand your wanting to keep this thread clean for PNxxB850 and 860 owners, I'm soon buying one of the two, and have a BIG issue that I'm dealing with right now. I believe this post DOES belong here, since it is something that Chad B can measure and test. I live in North Dakota, and my Best Buy in my city is not a Magnolia store. They only have the 850, and said they cannot sell the 860, since it is exclusively Magnolia stores' tv.


My point here is I need to find out definitively whether or not Cinema Smooth is on the 850. I know you and some of the others wish we would stop talking about this, but please try to understand that it just has not been proven, and by that I mean measured to be true.


Believe me, I've done my share of reading on this, and this is what I know from the reading I've done, and from your post from the CNET forum:
You can turn on 24x4 on the 850 in the service menu. BUT! And this is the big BUT, while I know that 24x4 IS Cinema Smooth, some have said that the 850 and 860 have DIFFERENT HARDWARE. If they do have different hardware, then it has been mentioned that while they have the same option as the 860 in the service menu, it could be turned off by Samsung since the hardware does not support it. Therefore, if this is true, turning 24x4 on in the 850 SM might not do anything.


Many people are trying to get answers by arguing about what "this guy" says or the Samsung tech, or the website, or the user guide, etc. and they all contradict each other!

Here is the answer, so please listen to me. We need someone with access to a 860 AND an 850 to first somehow measure the motion on the 860 with Cinema Smooth off and then on. Then, do the same thing with the 850. The key is to find a difference in the 860 with it turned on as opposed to off. This is the ONLY true way to prove that it works. It is just not enough for me to make a $2300 investment not fully knowing what I'm getting.


I am sorry if I don't understand the forum enough, and if I am wrong by posting on this thread, but I am soon to be a 850 or 860 owner, and as a soon-to-be Samsung owner, this is HUGE to me. Because of this, I have the best of intentions, and a burning desire, to find a proven answer to this so everyone can know the truth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpert /forum/post/16486482


jenseike,


While I understand your wanting to keep this thread clean for PNxxB850 and 860 owners, I'm soon buying one of the two, and have a BIG issue that I'm dealing with right now. I believe this post DOES belong here, since it is something that Chad B can measure and test. I live in North Dakota, and my Best Buy in my city is not a Magnolia store. They only have the 850, and said they cannot sell the 860, since it is exclusively Magnolia stores' tv.


My point here is I need to find out definitively whether or not Cinema Smooth is on the 850. I know you and some of the others wish we would stop talking about this, but please try to understand that it just has not been proven, and by that I mean measured to be true.


Believe me, I've done my share of reading on this, and this is what I know from the reading I've done, and from your post from the CNET forum:
You can turn on 24x4 on the 850 in the service menu. BUT! And this is the big BUT, while I know that 24x4 IS Cinema Smooth, some have said that the 850 and 860 have DIFFERENT HARDWARE. If they do have different hardware, then it has been mentioned that while they have the same option as the 860 in the service menu, it could be turned off by Samsung since the hardware does not support it. Therefore, if this is true, turning 24x4 on in the 850 SM might not do anything.


Many people are trying to get answers by arguing about what "this guy" says or the Samsung tech, or the website, or the user guide, etc. and they all contradict each other!

Here is the answer, so please listen to me. We need someone with access to a 860 AND an 850 to first somehow measure the motion on the 860 with Cinema Smooth off and then on. Then, do the same thing with the 850. The key is to find a difference in the 860 with it turned on as opposed to off. This is the ONLY true way to prove that it works. It is just not enough for me to make a $2300 investment not fully knowing what I'm getting.


I am sorry if I don't understand the forum enough, and if I am wrong by posting on this thread, but I am soon to be a 850 or 860 owner, and as a soon-to-be Samsung owner, this is HUGE to me. Because of this, I have the best of intentions, and a burning desire, to find a proven answer to this so everyone can know the truth.

+1

I wish someone could prove it actually works

here in Canada there will be no 860 and no 560 so basically it just lets us the 650 coming with cinema smooth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo /forum/post/16478278


So it seems that if you want the best blacks in a display 63-65" then the only choices still would be the 65S1 or 65V10.

Is there going to be a 65v10... if so that is great.. now if only we can pick it up for about $4000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpert /forum/post/16486482


jenseike,


While I understand your wanting to keep this thread clean for PNxxB850 and 860 owners, I'm soon buying one of the two, and have a BIG issue that I'm dealing with right now. I believe this post DOES belong here, since it is something that Chad B can measure and test. I live in North Dakota, and my Best Buy in my city is not a Magnolia store. They only have the 850, and said they cannot sell the 860, since it is exclusively Magnolia stores' tv.


My point here is I need to find out definitively whether or not Cinema Smooth is on the 850. I know you and some of the others wish we would stop talking about this, but please try to understand that it just has not been proven, and by that I mean measured to be true.


Believe me, I've done my share of reading on this, and this is what I know from the reading I've done, and from your post from the CNET forum:
You can turn on 24x4 on the 850 in the service menu. BUT! And this is the big BUT, while I know that 24x4 IS Cinema Smooth, some have said that the 850 and 860 have DIFFERENT HARDWARE. If they do have different hardware, then it has been mentioned that while they have the same option as the 860 in the service menu, it could be turned off by Samsung since the hardware does not support it. Therefore, if this is true, turning 24x4 on in the 850 SM might not do anything.


Many people are trying to get answers by arguing about what "this guy" says or the Samsung tech, or the website, or the user guide, etc. and they all contradict each other!

Here is the answer, so please listen to me. We need someone with access to a 860 AND an 850 to first somehow measure the motion on the 860 with Cinema Smooth off and then on. Then, do the same thing with the 850. The key is to find a difference in the 860 with it turned on as opposed to off. This is the ONLY true way to prove that it works. It is just not enough for me to make a $2300 investment not fully knowing what I'm getting.


I am sorry if I don't understand the forum enough, and if I am wrong by posting on this thread, but I am soon to be a 850 or 860 owner, and as a soon-to-be Samsung owner, this is HUGE to me. Because of this, I have the best of intentions, and a burning desire, to find a proven answer to this so everyone can know the truth.

Hi zpert,


I am just responding to your Best Buy not carrying the 860. I work for a Best Buy and though we do not have a Magnolia store we can still order Magnolia TVs for customers, I have done so on several occasions. All the TVs are in everyones system to ring up generally. I would advise you to check with them again and make sure the salesperson you were working with was not just uninformed. He/She may have simply checked their inventory for this TV in a system called "RSS". If they are not a magnolia store it would not return a result for this TV but they would just need to change the store number to one that is a Magnolia or simply try and place an order through one of our ordering systems. I am wondering if he/she even tried to place an order or if they just "checked their stock"


Look at the Best Buy website and pull up the 860. Write down the SKU # found on the product page somewhere near the model number or price and take that to them. Have them try and place an order through ROS if you need delivery or with Green Screen for ordering it for pick up from the store.


Just wanted to give you some tips to try since I know I work with a few people who don't know much and would do something like tell a customer we can't order a certain product just because our store does not carry it. Let me know too if they still say they can't and if so why not? I am curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelioestaves /forum/post/16486845


Hi zpert,


I am just responding to your Best Buy not carrying the 860. I work for a Best Buy and though we do not have a Magnolia store we can still order Magnolia TVs for customers, I have done so on several occasions. All the TVs are in everyones system to ring up generally. I would advise you to check with them again and make sure the salesperson you were working with was not just uninformed. He/She may have simply checked their inventory for this TV in a system called "RSS". If they are not a magnolia store it would not return a result for this TV but they would just need to change the store number to one that is a Magnolia or simply try and place an order through one of our ordering systems. I am wondering if he/she even tried to place an order or if they just "checked their stock"


Look at the Best Buy website and pull up the 860. Write down the SKU # found on the product page somewhere near the model number or price and take that to them. Have them try and place an order through ROS if you need delivery or with Green Screen for ordering it for pick up from the store.


Just wanted to give you some tips to try since I know I work with a few people who don't know much and would do something like tell a customer we can't order a certain product just because our store does not carry it. Let me know too if they still say they can't and if so why not? I am curious.

Hey emelio,


Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I will go back and double check, but the employee did ask her manager, and the manager is actually the one who said they used to be able to, but now they cannot order from Magnolia stores anymore. I will double check the exact reasoning, but from what he tried to explain, the Magnolia store is not allowing them to order since they consider themselves separate from BB and they would be taking their business. He told me he did not understand their reasoning at all, and hoped they would be allowed to do so again within the next year. It sounded like they looked up the correct SKU, since they said the Magnolia store had them in stock, but I'll call them and ask for Magnolia's reasoning. I might even try calling the Mag store in Minnesota that is closest to me.


Thanks again for taking the time to explain. It seems odd that these stores would be different than yours if you can still order back and forth.
not sure what the deal is really...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpert /forum/post/16486482


jenseike,


While I understand your wanting to keep this thread clean for PNxxB850 and 860 owners, I'm soon buying one of the two, and have a BIG issue that I'm dealing with right now. I believe this post DOES belong here, since it is something that Chad B can measure and test. I live in North Dakota, and my Best Buy in my city is not a Magnolia store. They only have the 850, and said they cannot sell the 860, since it is exclusively Magnolia stores' tv.


My point here is I need to find out definitively whether or not Cinema Smooth is on the 850. I know you and some of the others wish we would stop talking about this, but please try to understand that it just has not been proven, and by that I mean measured to be true.


Believe me, I've done my share of reading on this, and this is what I know from the reading I've done, and from your post from the CNET forum:
You can turn on 24x4 on the 850 in the service menu. BUT! And this is the big BUT, while I know that 24x4 IS Cinema Smooth, some have said that the 850 and 860 have DIFFERENT HARDWARE. If they do have different hardware, then it has been mentioned that while they have the same option as the 860 in the service menu, it could be turned off by Samsung since the hardware does not support it. Therefore, if this is true, turning 24x4 on in the 850 SM might not do anything.


Many people are trying to get answers by arguing about what "this guy" says or the Samsung tech, or the website, or the user guide, etc. and they all contradict each other!

Here is the answer, so please listen to me. We need someone with access to a 860 AND an 850 to first somehow measure the motion on the 860 with Cinema Smooth off and then on. Then, do the same thing with the 850. The key is to find a difference in the 860 with it turned on as opposed to off. This is the ONLY true way to prove that it works. It is just not enough for me to make a $2300 investment not fully knowing what I'm getting.


I am sorry if I don't understand the forum enough, and if I am wrong by posting on this thread, but I am soon to be a 850 or 860 owner, and as a soon-to-be Samsung owner, this is HUGE to me. Because of this, I have the best of intentions, and a burning desire, to find a proven answer to this so everyone can know the truth.

Chad have allready been testing the 860. He did that on saturday and I dought that anybody at cleveland are going to open up a brand new tv box just to test this for you They will loos money on that you see. Chad did the test allready and we are on here awaiting his result to come out.. If you read the whole tread you would have see this and you would have seen it is a 860 he has tested, if you are going to not belive all the other experts that are stating that this is on the 850 as well, you are out of luck...... Sorry about that - But again... I can asure you this is so... The 850 have cinema smooth and it has the engine that are running it. If you did your research and listen to others that DO also know a thing or two about samsung tv's you would have aknowleged this also..


Anyway, as I said before - if you continue this in the other tread and wich to hope for that they want to open up a new tv just for you - they also read that other tread.. The test has been done and nothing to do about that now.. Maybe you could try write a email to others that maybe are going to test this tv as avs forum, cnet flatphannels and so and see if they can do it for you...


I really dont understand you when you say that people contredict each other.. I have long time ago gotten a clear and torugh understanding of this by doing my own recearch


If the Hardware was not there the option would not have been to turn it on.. I have read about this tv for months now and I have never understood it to have any other hw. It is 110% the exact same tv as the 860.. And man........ If you are that unsure about things.... Put in the extra 100... What is that on such an expeniceve tv anyway!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thj17 /forum/post/16486610


+1

I wish someone could prove it actually works

here in Canada there will be no 860 and no 560 so basically it just lets us the 650 coming with cinema smooth

The 850 that you are able to buy in canada DO have the cinema smooth feature enabled. You DO NOT have to go in to the service menu in canada... All other countrys other than US have it enabled... If you open up the link in one of my previus post you would have seen f ex netherland have 850 and they have it.. We have it also and every other country have it.. You can never go by what is coming from samsung out in the us in other countrys.. US is allways having something specially from samsung and this year this is the case here..


Jens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
although a 850 has 24p, what about if 850 has other hardware so it could be shown as 60Hz. like their 2008 model receive 24p but running 60Hz internally.

has anyone seen it and done a test
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcardman /forum/post/16487858


although a 850 has 24p, what about if 850 has other hardware so it could be shown as 60Hz. like their 2008 model receive 24p but running 60Hz internally.

has anyone seen it and done a test

The 850 does not have other HW.. It is the same!!!! And yes, if you dont enable the cinema smooth function the panel will show 24p using 3:2 /60Hz. This is standar movie setting, you need to enable cinema smooth to have it run in 96Hz 4:4


Did you not read the french review?.. It DO SAY that the 850 DO have Cinema smooth... ie: it has the same HW :

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...N%26start%3D20


This is a test of the 850.. This should prove to everybody that it is the same HW and that the 850 are able to run cinema smooth in 96Hz.. They have tested it!!!!


On another note.. I can promise you that the panel is running 2:3 pulldown so well it is really hard to see any different to when you are running 4:4 (96Hz).. You would see it mostly on the rolling text after the movie... But during the movie it is really hard to tell the different.. I am sure that any 550 owner can verify this. The B series 09 plasmas have such good processing that this is realy good even in 3:2. Would samsung do this in a top model if this was not the case?? No


Jens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike /forum/post/16487906


The 850 does not have other HW.. It is the same!!!! And yes, if you dont enable the cinema smooth function the panel will show 24p using 3:2 /60Hz. This is standar movie setting, you need to enable cinema smooth to have it run in 96Hz 4:4


Did you not read the french review?.. It DO SAY that the 850 DO have Cinema smooth... ie: it has the same HW :

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...N%26start%3D20


This is a test of the 850.. This should prove to everybody that it is the same HW and that the 850 are able to run cinema smooth in 96Hz.. They have tested it!!!!

Jens

well we have no problem in Europe, but I still can not understand they make two models 850/860


I hope the review will come later to day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcardman /forum/post/16487913


well we have no problem in Europe, but I still can not understand they make two models 850/860


I hope the review will come later to day

Well, they dont have any problem in US either... The 850 in that test is exacly the same as the US 850, only with cinema smooth enabled from the factory in the menu. The panel, the hw, the sw and everything else is the same.


I can clarify that for you one more time.. They are delivering two models because in US some retailers are so BIG that they get speciall deliveris from samsung that no other retailers get.. This is why, they get a product they can brag about only they (and a few others) have.. This does not mean it is another product, it is exactly the same.. Just in the 850 you need to enable this features your selfe in the Service Menue.. It has allways been like this and it is not the first time.. Take for instance the B590, same thing - only a few stores get this and you dont get it outside US.. It is no magic to this. It is a marketing thing and not a technical thing.. The HW is 100% the same!!!


Zippy: Can you please help me out here and also explain this to those who not hav got it yet. I understand you also know this facts!!


This have also been told by the head of marketing in samsung us!!


Jens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Yes.... Where is that review!!!??? We where told he did the test on saturday and that is 3 days since now.. I hope that chris can update us on when chad is finish writing this down and posting it!!?


Jens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I've read that the 860 has the ability to store different calibration settings for daytime vs. nighttime, but that the 850 does not. If true, that would prove that at least the software is different on the two TVs. It would also be unfortunate because it sounds like a very useful feature which would mean having to pay extra for the 860!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseike /forum/post/16487465


The 850 that you are able to buy in canada DO have the cinema smooth feature enabled. You DO NOT have to go in to the service menu in canada... All other countrys other than US have it enabled... If you open up the link in one of my previus post you would have seen f ex netherland have 850 and they have it.. We have it also and every other country have it.. You can never go by what is coming from samsung out in the us in other countrys.. US is allways having something specially from samsung and this year this is the case here..


Jens

Sorry but it is not advertised on the samsung canada website and it is for the 650 so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brafman /forum/post/16488821


I've read that the 860 has the ability to store different calibration settings for daytime vs. nighttime, but that the 850 does not. If true, that would prove that at least the software is different on the two TVs. It would also be unfortunate because it sounds like a very useful feature which would mean having to pay extra for the 860!

You can also enable this in the service menu on the 850 also.. Same as last year with the 7 series where you also could enable it in the service menu. this is normal on samsung plasma panels.. When that is said - last year it turned out not to be so usefull since you somhow did not get as deep black as you got in standar movie mode. I was going to calibrate mine when I discovered this. I have not been checking this for this years models - but I will after my break in period and when it is time for calibration..


Jens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hi all --


Just wanted to let you know that my 58B860 should be here this Friday. This is literally the same unit that Chris+Chad have been playing with (they offered to calibrate my TV if I let them review it) so if people have further questions I'd be happy to help once I get it in.


Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thj17 /forum/post/16488823


Sorry but it is not advertised on the samsung canada website and it is for the 650 so...

yes - it is adverticed that it has the engine :


Picture Engine SAMSUNG Crystal FHD Engine


ie: FHD = CS


I know it also say that cinema smooth: no but this is missinformation. Just check other countrys and be logical about this.. It is there.. End of discussion for mine part!!
 
61 - 80 of 3220 Posts
Top