AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 2882 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood /forum/post/18610797

Do you notice this on both PCM and Dolby Digital, and on MKV's or XviD's?

Are you using Samsung's PC Share Manager Software?

I am trying to pin down the exact scenario...

Thanks!

I pretty much only play MKV's in either DTS or Dolby Digital mode, I'll try change the audio to PCM to see if that helps to keep the audio in sync. I always play movies with a USB drive attached. So far what I've done is increase the audio delay to max (250ms) in the setup menu and that seems to have made it bearable, when it slips and gets really out of sync I just skip back a few frames and the audio stays synced for 30 mins or so.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhocker /forum/post/18613306

Hey Al,

Small world. From the Island too!

Yeah I might try another one. I guess it is worth a try. I just cannot imagine it being this noticeable. I am watching hockey right now. My amp is at -26db and it sounds like a have a small static electronic sound coming out of my speakers, but it is the TV.

I just don't know about the weird speedy video spots.

Chuck

Hey there Chuck,

What's the score?

It would be interesting to know the source of the buzz, some set with and some without... makes you wonder about quality control.

I don't know if you are on cable or sat... and you may have already considered this, but before I made the change to Bell I had Shaw and had a terrible buzz on my system from a ground loop introduced from their incoming cable...

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgonsalves /forum/post/18613565

I pretty much only play MKV's in either DTS or Dolby Digital mode, I'll try change the audio to PCM to see if that helps to keep the audio in sync. I always play movies with a USB drive attached. So far what I've done is increase the audio delay to max (250ms) in the setup menu and that seems to have made it bearable, when it slips and gets really out of sync I just skip back a few frames and the audio stays synced for 30 mins or so.

Cool thanks for they reply...

DTS, you've got DTS?

I'll have to hook up my USB attached HDD and try it from there.

When you mention the audio delay setting, that is on the TV right? Lastly skipping back frame, I can't seem to do this, it just says " not supported "?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm sure this has been answered before, but...

I know all about entering the service menu to turn a PNxxC550 into a 590, this enables Cinema Smooth, but does it also enable the Crystal Full HD Engine?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye101 /forum/post/18613813

I'm sure this has been answered before, but...

I know all about entering the service menu to turn a PNxxC550 into a 590, this enables Cinema Smooth, but does it also enable the Crystal Full HD Engine?

Aren't they mutually exclusive?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 /forum/post/18613940

No, the Cinema Smooth option for the C550 can be enabled in the service menu. Not sure what the Crystal Full HD Engine does.

Hmmm, (not sure how you can say 'no'), it was my impression that Cinema Smooth was handled by the 'Crystal Full HD Engine'

This is the explanation for the PN58C590 from the Samsung site:

Quote:
Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth™

Achieve images of incredible clarity with SAMSUNG's crystal full HD engine. It improves performance, enhances every aspect of the image and brings picture quality to new levels of excellence. Plus Cinema Smooth™ creates a brilliant picture that’s more lifelike and much closer to film quality with high contrast and brightness, defined edges and sharp details.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 /forum/post/18613940

No, the Cinema Smooth option for the C550 can be enabled in the service menu. The Crystal Full HD Engine however cannot. I believe it's a part of the hardware on the 590 series and above.

I think that is the case too, needed some further confirmation. What exactly does the Crystal Full HD Engine do exactly? Is it worth getting a 590 for it?

EDIT: Just read the above post, so it's not exactly clear I guess?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye101 /forum/post/18613990

I think that is the case too, needed some further confirmation. What exactly does the Crystal Full HD Engine do exactly? Is it worth getting a 590 for it?

EDIT: Just read the above post, so it's not exactly clear I guess?

Well, it is described as a feature under the heading: Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...ail&returnurl=

Seems fairly self evident, unless they are trying to mislead you...

·
Registered
195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood /forum/post/18614024

Well, it is described as a feature under the heading: Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...ail&returnurl=

Seems fairly self evident, unless they are trying to mislead you...

Yea I guess, but some say that it is model exclusive but that makes it sound like it isn't.

I've not seen the Crystal Full HD Engine advertised on models below the 590 though.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye101 /forum/post/18614115

Yea I guess, but some say that it is model exclusive but that makes it sound like it isn't.

I've not seen the Crystal Full HD Engine advertised on models below the 590 though.

I have a PN58B560 on the way from Crutchfield (great price) and it has the Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth according to Samsung's site.

I could be wrong, but from what I've read in these forums, the Cinema Smooth only comes into play for BD to eliminate judder.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4jc /forum/post/18614193

I have a PN58B560 on the way from Crutchfield (great price) and it has the Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth according to Samsung's site.

So YOU'RE the one that bought the last PN58B560 from Crutchfield!

That'll teach me to be slow in pulling the trigger

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye101 /forum/post/18614115

And you probably won't as it was/is intended to be exclusive to the C590...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone done a comparison between the C550 and C590 series? I've looked at the specs for both and it seems the only difference is the the C590 series has Cinema Smooth and the Crystal Full HD Engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood /forum/post/18613697

Cool thanks for they reply...

DTS, you've got DTS?

I'll have to hook up my USB attached HDD and try it from there.

When you mention the audio delay setting, that is on the TV right? Lastly skipping back frame, I can't seem to do this, it just says " not supported "?

Yeah, I have a DTS as an option when the MKV I'm viewing is encoded with a DTS soundtrack. The audio delay is buried in the TV audio menu under SPDIF Output. I'm not sure why you're getting the "not supported" message, I'm simply hitting the back arrow to skip back a few frames, maybe streaming via Ethernet vs a directly attached storage device makes a difference.

btw, I tried changing the audio from PCM to Dolby Digital or DTS (tried multiple videos), and the audio sync issue is still there for me. I can't figure it out, some videos are worse than others.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 /forum/post/18614508

Has anyone done a comparison between the C550 and C590 series? I've looked at the specs for both and it seems the only difference is the the C590 series has Cinema Smooth and the Crystal Full HD Engine.

That is about all I could find... oh yeah and the price.

I have always been surprised at the granularity in the C5X0 line, 3 models so close in specs that the buyer would almost seem confused by them. The only thing that I can think of is marketing, make different models so the stores can avoid the dreaded price match.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood /forum/post/18614426

Ok ok, no need to be rude about it.

What exactly does the Crystal Full HD Engine do? Is it worth getting a 590 for it?

AFAIK it's some color enhancement or something, not really sure. Could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgonsalves /forum/post/18614518

Yeah, I have a DTS as an option when the MKV I'm viewing is encoded with a DTS soundtrack. The audio delay is buried in the TV audio menu under SPDIF Output. I'm not sure why you're getting the "not supported" message, I'm simply hitting the back arrow to skip back a few frames, maybe streaming via Ethernet vs a directly attached storage device makes a difference.

btw, I tried changing the audio from PCM to Dolby Digital or DTS (tried multiple videos), and the audio sync issue is still there for me. I can't figure it out, some videos are worse than others.

Based on your comments, I went and re-read about the support file formats and you are of course right, interesting that considering the many MKV files I have (nearly 1000) that I haven't come across DTS... I'll have to find one to try out. (As soon as I figure out how to determine what audio codec was used)

I also read where a few of the functions normally available are not when connected via the network this includes: FF/REW, sort by preference and background music). I have a back up of the MKV's on a HDD so I will ahve to try these functions.

BTW, still no word back from Samsung on the sync issues...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hi all PNxxC550 owners

I started a poll thread so that experiences relating to buzzing units in the C550 family could be found in one place.

Please share your experience and vote so that people on the fence like me can get a better feel for the extent of the issue.

btw. My personal concern is because I have a line on a great price for a 63C550 but from a seller with "ship direct, no returns" policies so my only recourse is direct with Samsung who are only likely to replace if buzzing is beyond what they consider "normal"; I'm trying to assess my risk

·
Registered
4,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye101 /forum/post/18615784

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Sherwood

Ok ok, no need to be rude about it.

What exactly does the Crystal Full HD Engine do? Is it worth getting a 590 for it?

AFAIK it's some color enhancement or something, not really sure. Could be totally wrong.

Hawkeye, I wasn't trying to be rude, I guess that my delivery could have been clearer.

Samsung doesn't mention CS and Crystal Full HD Engine on the other models because 'they don't want to', that is why you won't see it in the advertising for the C540/C550. How else are they going to convince you that the C590 should cost more?

This practice has long been used by the computer industry to sell 'features' on processing complexes and storage subsystems through the advent of license keys. If you want 'more' or 'faster' then you cut them a cheque and they give you the key to enable that feature. IBM has done this for years on the big systems, the hardware was usually there but 'unavailable' until you paid the fee.

From what I can see the Samsung TV's are much like this; pretty much the same or in some cases the identical hardware but with features (CS and Crystal Full HD Engine) disabled by way of the firmware settings. This theory would appear to be supported by the 'model change' process which makes these features available on the C540/C550.

Are the new features really there or is it just a new entry in the menu structure, that is tough to actually quantify, I think I see CS in action, but for the Crystal Full HD Engine, unless you want to open the back of the TV to find the chip-set (or absence there of) that might be tougher to determine.

181 - 200 of 2882 Posts