AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with this decision for month, spending 10-16 hours every day reading watching you tube videos etc. This is how I am spending my vacation. I am losing sleep and border line depressed, as all my gear is arriving every few days. Budget was 30K, I think that was wish full thinking. Price does factor into the decision. My projector has to be an UST , I am open to another brand if it is UST can place it really close to the screen. Below are the prices they are available with a discount. I do not care about the lag time and I will be hooking it up with my own speakers 7.2.4.. I am also struggling with the amplifier decisions but that is for another day.

Samsung LPS7T $ 3570 USD
LG HU85LA $ 4000 USD
Optoma P2 $ 3299 USD
Samsung LPS9T $ 5940 USD

Fifth option is to keep using the one I have and hope there will be more choices in the fall. But it has to be before NFL kicks off. Any rumours or leaks as to new UST releases coming.

There is only bay window in the room to the right off the screen , 6 feet away from the screen on the side wall ( has blinds) and I will be using this projector to watch movies 95 %, 4 % watching NFL directv. No video games.

What has kept me away from Optoma are all the comments in these forums and UI
What has kept me away from Samsung models is that I truly believe those projectors are made for the living room that has lots of windows that is the market I believe they are after. They have no brightness control for their projectors.
LG hit my radar cause of the price, still unfamiliar with it.

Your experiences and input is desperately needed. I am in front of this computer screen till the wife yells at me or until I fall asleep on this keyboard.

·
Registered
HTP-1, Monolith 11x, KEF R7s, KEF Q650c,KEF Q150 surrounds, Dual Hsu VTF-3 MK5s
40 Posts
I had the exact same list when shopping recently. I viewed all of them in person with the exception of the LPS9T. I found the P2 and LG to look the best; bright and crisp. The LG had the edge in maintaining a sharp picture in the corners. I liked the P2, but it had the annoying shadow border around the screen that I just couldn’t get past. The dealer was pretty honest and said he had one at home with a different screen and had the same issue. I bought the LG and really like it. The LPS9T sounds really nice, but the price difference was too much for me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen the LPS9T it had a stunning picture with the wrong screen in a room with lots of light. What keeps me of it is the price. Ive read a lot of reviews that mention high db noise which can be heard during the movie. Last thing it would be too bright for a dark room since there is no brightness adjustment.
Where did you place the Centre Channel I have a large centre channel. Prestige 55C H 7.75" × W 32" × D 13.125" (19.7cm × 81.3cm × 33.3cm)
LG sits 14.6 inches under the screen and 5 1/2 inches away from the screen on 110 inch screen. If I place the CC 9 inches under the screen would the laser clear the centre channel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have experience with every one of those UST projectors besides the LSP9T just due to it being out of my budget and reading the comments about the magenta hue and sparkling/glitter effect. I did try out two LSP7T, two Optoma P2s, and one HU85LA.

Out of those three the LSP7T has the best overall sharpness by far and its not even close. You can get the P2 and the HU85LA to be pretty sharp but the top corners will ultimately be slightly blurry which isn't noticeable during Movie/TV content. I only notice it when I stream my desktop and am looking at small text on those corners or playing a game with UI elements on those corners that have small icons or text.

The HU85LA obviously has the best UI, smart apps, and the shortest throw (LSP9T has the same throw btw) compared to the other two which is great. The LSP7T had the second best UI and smart apps but it's responsiveness was slow when compared to the HU85LA and P2. You would hit a button and there would be a noticeable lag between the action taking place which happened on both LSP7T units I had. The P2 has the worse UI by far and you shouldn't even waste your time trying to use any of the built in apps. Just get a Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Roku, etc.

The reason why I sent them all back and ultimately ended up keeping one of the P2s was the coil whine noise which was very loud and apparent even while content was playing. It's the same noise you get from those very old florescence light bulbs in basements or warehouses. Both units of the LSP7T had it, the HU85LA had it, and one of the P2s had it. Out of those three the LSP7T has the quietest coil whine but it was still frustrating and not something I was willing to live with. I was almost ready to give up on all UST projectors until I read comments that other people didn't have this issue with the P2 so I bought another one from another retailer and sure enough it didn't have this issue and that is the one I've been using for almost three months now.

There may have been a chance to get an LSP7T or HU85LA without coil whine but I was tired of sending projectors back and buying new ones. You can't go wrong with either projector and you will be satisfied with the picture quality of all of them. They each just have other pros and cons that may sway your decision but if your ears are annoyed by coil whine like mine are then you'll just want to find a unit that doesn't have that issue.

Reactions: Holden_Commodore

·
Registered
40 Posts
Grazed obviously has in home experience so I’ll defer to him on image quality as I only saw dealer demo setups with the exception of the LG. I was leery of the coil whine and will say neither mine nor the unit I saw at a dealer had the issue. The LSP7T I watched did have a noticeable whine. Seems to be hit and miss, but definitely a dealbreaker if you’ve got it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So I actually have experienced all of these projectors in my home (with the exception of the P2, I own the P1 though).

Problem is, ignoring price altogether, there really is no standout projector here. You'd assume the LSP9T is the best, and for the most part it is, but has a major flaw (that also somewhat exists with the HU85LA). And that flaw is laser speckling. It's essentially a "rainbow mist" that looks like film grain on the whole image, regardless of source. I suspect it has something to do with the multiple laser sources, but I saw it both on the HU85LA and LSP9T. The HU85LA was less noticeable with this though. To me, it was a dealbreaker for both projectors though.

Between the LSP9T and 7T, it's really no contest. The 9T is better in literally every way except the laser speckling. The 7T has none, but it's significantly dimmer, has a much longer throw ratio, and the colors just seem very muted on this projector. Also the software on the 7T was very laggy compared to the 9T. I don't recommend the 7T.

I have the Optoma P1 and have used it for the better part of a year now and its image quality is among the cleanest (not sharpest) of the bunch. Zero speckling, can get very bright, contrast is solid, and is a very quiet projector. The software is abysmal though. This doesn't bother me since I use an HTPC, but you absolutely cannot rely on the P1/P2 for its software. It also has inconsistent HDR handling. With some movies it looks fantastic, others... terrible.

The LG HU85LA is very similar to the LSP9T, though I'd give a slight edge to the LSP9T due to better motion handling and better sharpness.

After trying all of these... I am sticking with my P1. I absolutely love how clean the image it throws looks. It's bright, colors pop, decent contrast, and is OK with sharpness (except the top left corner on my unit). It's also very quiet. I assume the P2 is an improved version of the P1, so I'd recommend IF you don't care about the abysmal software.

That being said, I've seen some folks report that their LSP9T doesn't exhibit the laser speckling issue when they received a replacement unit. If that truly is the case, that there is no question it's the best projector of these 4. But... if you do see it... it absolutely ruins the image IMO and was a dealbreaker for me.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions. This was really just a stream of consciousness post :p

Reactions: Grazed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry, forgot the center channel question. I, also, have a large center channel. There is no getting around that USTs make centers a challenge. I bought a Furnitech FT78PF with a custom base to lower it to 24”. Much cheaper than Salamander and it’s a pretty nice piece of furniture with room for a large center below the projector. I angled the center up a tad and it works perfectly. The owner, Eric, was very helpful and made the custom base happen. It took a few months to ship from Brazil, but it’s great for my 120” screen with 9’ ceilings. FYI . . . if you call them, be prepared for a long conversation as Eric is a bit of a talker. 😁😁

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys I really appreciate your responses. I have gone over the budget to get hopefully good sound. The whine is going to drive me crazy. That is a deal breaker. I am suspicious when I watch football all day it might even get louder. There is a local store that has the LPS7T set up, I will go and listen to it. This decision is killing me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the Cabinet I will get it customized , I most likely will be running 3 amps. I do not have a clue which ones to buy.
I am going to give it a shot if my CC fits under the screen between the screen and the projector. Another choice possibly be behind the projector. Or get a custom hoodie made over the projector and put it on top. I wish the laser was in front the CC problem would not exist. Your input is a lot of help.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hisense L9 with tri-laser comes out in August. There's also the older dual laser L10 which uses the .66 DMD.

How much of the budget is allotted to the projector? Can you swing the Sony?

Reactions: iunknown2008

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hisense L9 with tri-laser comes out in August. There's also the older dual laser L10 which uses the .66 DMD.

How much of the budget is allotted to the projector? Can you swing the Sony?
Bucket is getting emptied every day still have 3 amps to purchase. I do not have a clue which ones to buy either.Budget is 6K and I wanted to get a short throw projector cause of constraints of my theatre room. I am not aware of Sony making any UST projectors.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Lots of different opinions here.
I have experience with the P2 and the lsp7t.
I had HDMI handshake issues with both P2s I had. Took forever to switch source, fuzzy screen, black and then no signal found. Sent it back and got a replacement and had the same problem. I replaced it with the Samsung and never looked back. I use the celexon clr 120" screen. Setup is shield TV-Denon X4700h-PJ.
I don't care about sound or apps on the TV. I have a 7.2.2 setup

Optoma:
brighter
slightly quieter(both negligible even at late night volumes)
Ridiculous lag between source switching and lots of cut outs.

Samsung:
less bright but I still watch in family room with windows. if the. curtains are closed it is great
PQ is better than the Optoma
needs calibration but once calibrated it is brilliant.
No coil whine for me.
ZERO HDMI issues and instant switch between sources. Also fires up in like ten seconds.
Quiet enough to listen at 30-32 On Denon at night.
less contrast but in dark room watching still good enough for me.
For me Samsung all the way.

·
Registered
949 Posts
One thing to add. Do not skimp on the screen. Budget 1k-2k for a proper ust screen. Trust me it is night and day VS normal screen or a wall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of different opinions here.
I have experience with the P2 and the lsp7t.
I had HDMI handshake issues with both P2s I had. Took forever to switch source, fuzzy screen, black and then no signal found. Sent it back and got a replacement and had the same problem. I replaced it with the Samsung and never looked back. I use the celexon clr 120" screen. Setup is shield TV-Denon X4700h-PJ.
I don't care about sound or apps on the TV. I have a 7.2.2 setup

Optoma:
brighter
slightly quieter(both negligible even at late night volumes)
Ridiculous lag between source switching and lots of cut outs.

Samsung:
less bright but I still watch in family room with windows. if the. curtains are closed it is great
PQ is better than the Optoma
needs calibration but once calibrated it is brilliant.
No coil whine for me.
ZERO HDMI issues and instant switch between sources. Also fires up in like ten seconds.
Quiet enough to listen at 30-32 On Denon at night.
less contrast but in dark room watching still good enough for me.
For me Samsung all the way.
Not to put blame only on the receiver as I'm sure the PJ may have also had something to do with it but I do know all of the 2020 models Denon receivers all have handshake issues due to a defective Panasonic chip. I only know this because I was looking to upgrade my receiver and ended up just getting an 3600H due to everyone talking about the handshake issues with multiple different TVs, projectors, consoles, etc. So I haven't personally had any issues with my two P2 due to not having a 2020 Denon receiver.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have had the LG HU85 paired with a 120" Elite UST CLR screen for well over a year now and have been very happy with it. Great image and I have no problems with coil whine. This seems to be a copy-to-copy variation issue. I can hear the fan at lower volumes, but it's low-pitched and no louder than my previous rptv that it replaced and you will never hear it while watching a movie "at volume".

As far as placement for your center channel, it will depend on the size of your center and the depth of the cabinet or whatever surface you're placing your projector on(my CC is just under 12" deep counting the grill and my cabinet is right at 21" deep). In my set-up, my center sits in front of my projector and only hangs over the edge of the cabinet a little. So, depending on your seating position in the den, you don't (or barely) see the projector.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing to add. Do not skimp on the screen. Budget 1k-2k for a proper ust screen. Trust me it is night and day VS normal screen or a wall.
In a room with limited Ambient light. Only light would from the pot lights what screen do you recommend.
Is da lite .9 progressive HD screen good.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have had the LG HU85 paired with a 120" Elite UST CLR screen for well over a year now and have been very happy with it. Great image and I have no problems with coil whine. This seems to be a copy-to-copy variation issue. I can hear the fan at lower volumes, but it's low-pitched and no louder than my previous rptv that it replaced and you will never hear it while watching a movie "at volume".

As far as placement for your center channel, it will depend on the size of your center and the depth of the cabinet or whatever surface you're placing your projector on(my CC is just under 12" deep counting the grill and my cabinet is right at 21" deep). In my set-up, my center sits in front of my projector and only hangs over the edge of the cabinet a little. So, depending on your seating position in the den, you don't (or barely) see the projector.

View attachment 3116608
View attachment 3116611
What am I not doing right. LG projector is 13.77 inches deep and your projector sits 7.23 inches from the 120 inch screen. This adds up to 21 inches. Your cabinet is 21 inches deep , same as the projector where does the room for the 12 inch center come from. what is the distance from the end of your cabinet in the back to the wall. I see the pic but what am I missing.

·
Registered
709 Posts
What am I not doing right. LG projector is 13.77 inches deep and your projector sits 7.23 inches from the 120 inch screen. This adds up to 21 inches. Your cabinet is 21 inches deep , same as the projector where does the room for the 12 inch center come from. what is the distance from the end of your cabinet in the back to the wall. I see the pic but what am I missing.
Looks like he has the cabinet pulled away a few inches from the wall.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The cabinet is about 10" in front of the wall(the same as when I had a 92" rptv sitting on it). And the screen is "floating" ~2" off the wall, as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts