AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just set up the DLNA link on my Samsung PS50B850 plasma to my laptop through a router using Samsung's share manager. This was very straightforward but I have come across some sort of restriction in the size of movies I can stream. I tried to stream an 8.5GB MKV file movie and the TV for 90 seconds displayed 'preparing to play' and then switched itself off and back on again (why it does this I don't know). I split the movie into four smaller sections of just over 2GB and it then played perfectly but I did not test each section right to the end but it proves its not a formatting problem. However I noticed that the 'media play' on the TV said the files were only 2GB in size when they were in fact slightly larger so I very much doubt these smaller sections would play right through until the end. It does seem very much that I have a 2GB restriction somewhere for streaming movies which is a real pain as any HD movie will be much larger in size. Also there is the fact the watching movies from an external HDD is restricted to 4GB due to the limitation of a FAT file system so at the moment I cannot watch anything of a decent size. I would appreciate any help with this as it seems I will have to go back to the old way of burning DVD's which is one of the reasons I purchased to the TV so I wouldn't have to do this. Thankyou

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an update, I have tried TVersity and upgraded the profiles.xml file for the PS50B850 and it works perfectly streaming any file size. So it seems the problem is with Samsung's share manager so I will most probably report this to Samsung unless anyone knows of why this is ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a samsung 58 inch plazma and have been working to set up DLNA, etc. I had to buy a wireless bridge to have my server (PC) recognized. So far so good, however I have not tried any movies. Could you expand on your comments regarding TVersity. Also, I did load some MP3 music files but the sound only feed through the TV not the receiver/home theater speakers. All other media feeds through the receiver. Any idea why this is? Also, I was just informed by ITunes that all the movies I purchased can not be converted to a format acceptable by Samsung Media Play. That really stinks. Guess I'l need to find another source to purchase movies will the correct file extensions...............Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts