AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting this TV soon, but there is one item of information that I can't find anywhere. Annoyingly, not even on Samsung's site.

The plasma has 1 USB port, but I'm not sure which video formats it reads. I know MKV is an uncommon one, but it's the one I'd like to use frequently. Not even the DVD player reads it from plug-in sources.

Does anyone know which file formats the TV reads via USB? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Any pro or anti comments regarding the TV in general will also be appreciated.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl1zz4rd  /t/1456926/samsung-ps51e450-usb-input/0_100#post_22935630

I am thinking about getting this TV soon, but there is one item of information that I can't find anywhere. Annoyingly, not even on Samsung's site.

The plasma has 1 USB port, but I'm not sure which video formats it reads. I know MKV is an uncommon one, but it's the one I'd like to use frequently. Not even the DVD player reads it from plug-in sources.

Does anyone know which file formats the TV reads via USB? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Any pro or anti comments regarding the TV in general will also be appreciated.

I have the 60E550, which is the same I assume except for 3D and I just found an MKV file to download and it plays fine. Looks really good on here too! It's some Indian song video. I did a search for an MKV to download and for some reason all I got was Bollywood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Straybeat - Thank you so much for your help. That is reassuring. I'm still going to get the TV anyway, even if I find out beforehand that it doesn't support MKV, 'cause it looks awesome.

Haha, I got some really random stuff when I searched "MKV", but "MKV song" brings up strange indian stuff, you're right. That's quite weird. I wonder why that is.

Do you have any complaints about the E550? How long have you had it for?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the 43 inch and it has played every movie I have thrown at it via USB. I'm sure if I tried I could find a format that it can't play, but I can definitely confirm it can play an MKV file with DD 5.1/DTS audio up to 1080p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dabsac - Awesome. That means the 51" will play it too, as they appear to be exactly the same in every other aspect other than dimensions. Do you know whether or not the files have to be in the root of the storage device?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts