AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 days in and very impressed with soundbar. I also just received the 75q800t 8k tv and the soundbar integrates with it seamlessly with QSymphony. The soundbar expands the soundstage by using the 6 speakers on the tv to add quite a bit. Using just the soundbar is great but once tv speakers are utilized, the sound is excellent.
Wow can this setup deliver some thump and excellent surround and overhead effects. I have tested on multiple 4K DVDs and 4K digital movies. Avengers Endgame was amazing with bullets zipping overhead, explosions all around and still able to clearly hear the dialog. Mad Max Fury Road was simply OMG, I had to turn down because it was so aggressive and I feared neighbors would complain.
Let me know if you have any questions. So far a huge winner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you experienced any issue with LPCM 2.0 audio?

I have been noticing that there is an audio cut off at the beginning of LPCM 2.0 audio. It's like the soundbar takes awhile to process the sound and that leads to about 0.5s of audio lost at the beginning.

It's easily reproducible and I have not been able to find a fix. Weird that Dolby and DTS 2.0 audio don't have this issue at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What are you running through soundbar so I can test it?
Any LPCM 2.0 audio source will do. You can compare the start of the audio on Blu-ray with the audio of the show on Netflix. Notice how the blu-ray audio has the first ~0.5s missing.

I think PS4 is also testable by switching the audio output between LPCM and Bitstream and compare.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really need some advise. I am new to sound bars. I bought a Q60T bar to use with my Q90T TV. I have my cable box, Blu-Ray player and PS4 in 3 of the TVs HDMI ports and a switcher for my Nintendo Switch and classic game console in the 4th port. I'm using optical to connect the bar. I'm contemplating returning the Q60T bar for a Q70T or Q800T bar for Atmos and DTS X. Of course, I'd need to use EARC for this. So can I plug the Blu-Ray player into the sound bar, then the sound bar into the ARC port, and finally the other devices into the TVs ports? Or do I need to get an expensive switcher or receiver?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you running through soundbar so I can test it?
Any LPCM 2.0 audio source will do. You can compare the start of the audio on Blu-ray with the audio of the show on Netflix. Notice how the blu-ray audio has the first ~0.5s missing.

I think PS4 is also testable by switching the audio output between LPCM and Bitstream and compare.
I was not able to reproduce this with my PS4 pro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone notice lack of bass when playing music video via Youtube or streaming music via Bluetooth (iphone)?

·
Registered
242 Posts
LPCM 5.1 and TrueHD/DTSMA

Has anyone been able to get multichannel PCM to work via eARC? I’ve tried Chromecast Ultra and get only Stereo LPCM. Same with my PC with Radeon card. I also haven’t been able to get TrueHD or DTSMA to work from the PC via eARC. Haven’t had a chance to try another source that is capable of either of these yet.

If you have been able to get any to work, let me know your TV and source device please!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone been able to get multichannel PCM to work via eARC? I’ve tried Chromecast Ultra and get only Stereo LPCM. Same with my PC with Radeon card. I also haven’t been able to get TrueHD or DTSMA to work from the PC via eARC. Haven’t had a chance to try another source that is capable of either of these yet.

If you have been able to get any to work, let me know your TV and source device please!
Have you tried LPCM with Nintendo Switch menu audio and PSN store audio?

I think there might be a bigger problem with LPCM in general.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've tried with the Switch today, and there are issues with the menu audio when using eARC (I didn't try connecting the Switch directly to the soundbar). I don't hear clicks when I move between items. Also confirmed that Surround audio does not work, only Stereo. So, my combination of Q80T and this soundbar definitely does not support multichannel PCM over eARC right now.

Edit: Also tested with the Switch to the soundbar HDMI In, and same behavior with the menu sounds, but multichannel works properly.

Here's a summary of what seems to work so far:

1. I can get DD, DD+, TrueHD, TrueHD with Atmos all to work properly via eARC. There seems to be a quirk with my Radeon card where it will not send TrueHD to the TV unless I override the EDID to say that the TV has 8 speakers. I cannot get any DTS streams to work over eARC (maybe a limitation of the Q80T TV?)

2. I cannot get multichannel PCM to work via eARC (unclear if this is the Q80T TV or soundbar's issue). Even if I override the EDID, only the front left and front right channels will produce audio when sending multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM does work properly if connecting directly to the soundbar's HDMI input. From my understanding the LG C9 and CX have the same issue, with a fix in the works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've tried with the Switch today, and there are issues with the menu audio when using eARC (I didn't try connecting the Switch directly to the soundbar). I don't hear clicks when I move between items. Also confirmed that Surround audio does not work, only Stereo. So, my combination of Q80T and this soundbar definitely does not support multichannel PCM over eARC right now.
I don't think it's a eARC specific issue. I have been connecting devices directly to the soundbar.

I noticed that it's not LPCM audio not outputting, but rather the soundbar takes awhile to process the audio. This leads to "short" audio such as menu sounds getting dropped completely.

This is evidenced by LPCM blu-rays missing about 0.5s at the start.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't think it's a eARC specific issue. I have been connecting devices directly to the soundbar.

I noticed that it's not LPCM audio not outputting, but rather the soundbar takes awhile to process the audio. This leads to "short" audio such as menu sounds getting dropped completely.

Yes, agreed. The menu sound issue seems to be due to some latency in the soundbar switching to the right mode to output, and results in cutting out the start of the sound. As I edited above, I also see this both direct to soundbar and via eARC.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Sounds like what happens with my Apple TV on the home screen with my Sony soundbar. (Z9F)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have had one of these for about 5 days. Sound is good. Mine went wonky, and would only output surround portion, no center or left and right channel. I thought it was a setting issue with the TV, but after unplugging the sound bar for a minute, it reset itself.

One issue... before the glitch, it don’t recall seeing the red pilot light all the time while the sound bar is on. Now it never goes off. It that normal behavior?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know if the Q800T becomes a true 5.1.2 if you buy the optional rears? Or will you have an issue with the Atmos height effects not outputting from the speakers on top of the soundbar? I thought I read somewhere that was an issue with previous Samsung or Sony soundbars.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have had one of these for about 5 days. Sound is good. Mine went wonky, and would only output surround portion, no center or left and right channel. I thought it was a setting issue with the TV, but after unplugging the sound bar for a minute, it reset itself.

One issue... before the glitch, it don’t recall seeing the red pilot light all the time while the sound bar is on. Now it never goes off. It that normal behavior?
Red light means that the Mic is disabled. If you want the light off, you need to press the right-most "button" on the top of the soundbar, which will turn the mic back on.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts