AVS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Red light means that the Mic is disabled. If you want the light off, you need to press the right-most "button" on the top of the soundbar, which will turn the mic back on.
That worked. Thanks.
Another question: Should my cable box be set to Dolby Digital, or “other”, which is PCM.
I have lip sync issues when using Dolby output, and they mostly are good using PCM.
I’d assume that the sounbar will do a better job of spatial imaging by using Dolby Digital as the output.
I don’t currently have the wireless rear speakers, but I may add them.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I've tried with the Switch today, and there are issues with the menu audio when using eARC (I didn't try connecting the Switch directly to the soundbar). I don't hear clicks when I move between items. Also confirmed that Surround audio does not work, only Stereo. So, my combination of Q80T and this soundbar definitely does not support multichannel PCM over eARC right now.

Edit: Also tested with the Switch to the soundbar HDMI In, and same behavior with the menu sounds, but multichannel works properly.

Here's a summary of what seems to work so far:

1. I can get DD, DD+, TrueHD, TrueHD with Atmos all to work properly via eARC. There seems to be a quirk with my Radeon card where it will not send TrueHD to the TV unless I override the EDID to say that the TV has 8 speakers. I cannot get any DTS streams to work over eARC (maybe a limitation of the Q80T TV?)

2. I cannot get multichannel PCM to work via eARC (unclear if this is the Q80T TV or soundbar's issue). Even if I override the EDID, only the front left and front right channels will produce audio when sending multichannel PCM. Multichannel PCM does work properly if connecting directly to the soundbar's HDMI input. From my understanding the LG C9 and CX have the same issue, with a fix in the works.

I have the CX and Q90T and with the Samsung HW q80r sound bar I can pass all lossless via eARC on the CX including multi channel PCM from PS4 PRO but i cannot using the Q90T tv which is the issue. It is not the soundbar and not the LG CX as it works perfect with eARC the issue is the damm Samsung Q90t tv

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the CX and Q90T and with the Samsung HW q80r sound bar I can pass all lossless via eARC on the CX including multi channel PCM from PS4 PRO but i cannot using the Q90T tv which is the issue. It is not the soundbar and not the LG CX as it works perfect with eARC the issue is the damm Samsung Q90t tv
Looks like multichannel PCM eARC issue is related to the Samsung TV.

However, the PCM audio cut-off is definitely a Q800T soundbar issue. Has anyone been able to find a workaround? It's getting pretty frustrating and the issue creeps up in games as well.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Dolby digital sound delay from cable

I have a Samsung 85Q80T TV, and the 800T soundbar.

I updated the firmware on the soundbar, and it seems to have improved some of the weird behavior I had previously.
One issue was having the soundbar only output "surround" info. In other words no normal left, right or center channel content. That one has not popped up again since the firmware update. HDMI CEC usually turns the soundbar on now, when it rarely did prior to the update. It still misses sometimes.

One issue that persists, is that if by Altice One cable box is set to output Dolby Digital sound vs. PCM, the sound is delayed out of sync with the picture. Adjusting delay on the TV or the soundbar makes the issue worse, since it delays the sound further. If I switch to PCM, the sync is ok. It's also OK when only playing sound from the TV speaker.

Are others hearing the same issue?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a Samsung 85Q80T TV, and the 800T soundbar.

I updated the firmware on the soundbar, and it seems to have improved some of the weird behavior I had previously.
One issue was having the soundbar only output "surround" info. In other words no normal left, right or center channel content. That one has not popped up again since the firmware update. HDMI CEC usually turns the soundbar on now, when it rarely did prior to the update. It still misses sometimes.

One issue that persists, is that if by Altice One cable box is set to output Dolby Digital sound vs. PCM, the sound is delayed out of sync with the picture. Adjusting delay on the TV or the soundbar makes the issue worse, since it delays the sound further. If I switch to PCM, the sync is ok. It's also OK when only playing sound from the TV speaker.

Are others hearing the same issue?
I have the same TV (Q80T) and soundbar. Have you enabled HDMI-eARC in the Expert Settings of the Sound menu on the TV (set it to "Auto" rather than "off"? If so, you should see "eARC" show up on the soundbar's display. It seems that many people have issues with Samsung TVs are ARC with audio delay, but with eARC, my experience is that the audio sync is excellent.

On a related note, I would also suggest setting the delay in the same settings menu on the TV to "0" rather than the default of "100" if you are using bitstream audio. It seems that the TV automatically adjusts the delay based on the TV's processing time. However, for PCM, the TV does not, so you have to set a manual delay if using PCM (anywhere between 70 and 100 ms).

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have the same TV (Q80T) and soundbar. Have you enabled HDMI-eARC in the Expert Settings of the Sound menu on the TV (set it to "Auto" rather than "off"? If so, you should see "eARC" show up on the soundbar's display. It seems that many people have issues with Samsung TVs are ARC with audio delay, but with eARC, my experience is that the audio sync is excellent.

On a related note, I would also suggest setting the delay in the same settings menu on the TV to "0" rather than the default of "100" if you are using bitstream audio. It seems that the TV automatically adjusts the delay based on the TV's processing time. However, for PCM, the TV does not, so you have to set a manual delay if using PCM (anywhere between 70 and 100 ms).
Good suggestions, but yes to eARC, no delay, etc...
Perhaps this could be an issue with my cable, but... using a Vizio TV and Sony receiver, no sync issues.
My internal apps seem to be fine too. YouTube and Amazon are fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good suggestions, but yes to eARC, no delay, etc...
Perhaps this could be an issue with my cable, but... using a Vizio TV and Sony receiver, no sync issues.
My internal apps seem to be fine too. YouTube and Amazon are fine.
One more thing. Do you have Digital Output Audio Format set to either Auto or PCM? If so, try setting to Passthrough. This shaves off about 200ms in audio delay for me (Mine is set to Passthrough--forgot to mention in my earlier post). Note that if you're currently sending Atmos audio, this setting won't be available, so switch to an audio source that is not Atmos to set this.

Interestingly, even if eARC is set to "Off", the passthrough setting makes this same difference of 200ms, so it should be set to Passthrough regardless of what you pick for eARC.

I see about a 250ms delay when using "Auto", and about 50ms with Passthrough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Recently noticed a new audio cut off issue with the soundbar and it's been happening to both Bitstream and PCM. The cut off is only 0.5s-1s and if I rewind and play the same portion again, the audio is fine.
Also noticed this in games as well.

Anyone else experienced this?

It's really frustrating to use this soundbar with so many problems. Have a really low opinion on Samsung now.

·
Registered
919 Posts
One more thing. Do you have Digital Output Audio Format set to either Auto or PCM? If so, try setting to Passthrough. This shaves off about 200ms in audio delay for me (Mine is set to Passthrough--forgot to mention in my earlier post). Note that if you're currently sending Atmos audio, this setting won't be available, so switch to an audio source that is not Atmos to set this.

Interestingly, even if eARC is set to "Off", the passthrough setting makes this same difference of 200ms, so it should be set to Passthrough regardless of what you pick for eARC.

I see about a 250ms delay when using "Auto", and about 50ms with Passthrough.
A good suggestion, but yes, I’m using pass through.
I wonder if it’s something specific to this cable box. I am in Conroe, TX. My provider is Suddenlink Altice One platform.
They are a mixed bag. I have 3 4K TVs that can’t get 4K output to be a selectable option on their boxes. When I get time, I may call them and see if they have run into this.

·
Registered
919 Posts
An update on the sync issue.
I updated the Q80T to the new firmware last night, and so far, the sound sync with Cable set to Dolby Output issue seems to be solved.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Does this soundbar need the TV speakers to get the best sound? I don't have a Samsung TV (Sony 950H) and I'm trying to decide between this and the Sonos Arc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does this soundbar need the TV speakers to get the best sound? I don't have a Samsung TV (Sony 950H) and I'm trying to decide between this and the Sonos Arc.

Thanks.
I don't have this soundbar, but I would think you do not use the TV speakers with any soundbar, it would add no value to soundbar sound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Samsung touts a feature called "Q-Symphony" which utilizes TV speakers in addition to the soundbar features.
I would have my doubts that given the audio quality of most, if not all, internal TV speakers these days, any real value would be added to the sound field by using them in conjunction with this soundbar.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would have my doubts that given the audio quality of most, if not all, internal TV speakers these days, any real value would be added to the sound field by using them in conjunction with this soundbar.
I am using the TV speakers in combination with the soundbar and the sound is quite good (using the latest firmware for both). It seems that the TV is mostly used for surround and height effects, so it augments the sound, adding directional cues, rather than being responsible for anything significant. So, the audio quality of the TV doesn't have much impact.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Samsung touts a feature called "Q-Symphony" which utilizes TV speakers in addition to the soundbar features.
The TV speakers on the Q80T series are actually pretty good.
The Soundbar sounds good by itself, but it’s even better using the TV and the Soundbar together.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts