AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just bought a Samsung DVD Recorder (DVD-R120), went to Best Buy and was going to buy a Panasonic originally but they were sold out.

I am really happy with it, it looks really good, has front DVD, supports RAM/-R/-RW and has something that automatically creates indexes of chapters for you - not bad I have to say, for $199 it was all mine.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If your satisfied that's all that matters. At $199.00 it's a good deal if the picture quality is as good or better then the source, accepts most name brand media which plays back on your or a friends' players.

I've had only one Samsung product. It was a computer CD Burner. When it failed Samsung replaced it without giving me a hard time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
does it have a hard drive, what's the picture quality, is it easy to use?

·
Registered
600 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffWld
Not sure about this particular model, but past Samsung recorders have actually been Panasonic OEM.

Are these available up North

·
Registered
370 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffWld
Not sure about this particular model, but past Samsung recorders have actually been Panasonic OEM.

The Samaung DVD-R4000 was a clone of the Panasonic DMR-E50 with a different face plate. However Samsung has introduced a new product (DVD-R100) with its own design using the LSI Logic chipset since last year. The DVD-R120 is basically the same product with a new front face. You can download the manual right under "Product Information" from the following link:

http://www.onecall.com/PID_27460.htm

Compared to the Panasonic DMR-ES10, the DVD-R120 adds VR recording mode to DVD-RW media, but there is no time slip or simultaneous rec and play function on VR mode discs, and only two sets of input. Not sure which one has better PQ though.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:

Not only Samsung, but in the firmware code, there is this OEM chart

0: Matsushita Electric

1: Hitachi

2: Samsung

3: DENON

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought and hooked up a Samsung vr325 dvd recorder/vcr combo to my new Samsung HLR 6168w television and the audio "skips" about every 3 minutes or so. Just a brief moment of silence a milisecond or so long, but very annoying. I have it hooked directly to the TV with HDMI, and have tried several dvds, several different HDMI cables, and even tried hooking it up via component video cables through the av receiver. Tried different "upconversion" levels, 420p, 720i and p, and 1080i, All to no avail! Samsung customer service was pretty mucy useless, told me to reset it, other than that they had no ideas. Just wondering if anyone else had these problems on this or any other video component. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeflier /forum/post/0

I bought and hooked up a Samsung vr325 dvd recorder/vcr combo to my new Samsung HLR 6168w television and the audio "skips" about every 3 minutes or so. Just a brief moment of silence a milisecond or so long, but very annoying. I have it hooked directly to the TV with HDMI, and have tried several dvds, several different HDMI cables, and even tried hooking it up via component video cables through the av receiver. Tried different "upconversion" levels, 420p, 720i and p, and 1080i, All to no avail! Samsung customer service was pretty mucy useless, told me to reset it, other than that they had no ideas. Just wondering if anyone else had these problems on this or any other video component. Thanks for any info.

I received my VR325 about a week ago and just got around to hooking it up on Friday when my JVC 52G786 arrived. Played a few DVDs and I have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! Audio skips for about half a second every 1-1/2 minutes or so. It is very annoying as if there is dialog in the movie you will miss 1-2 words. Seems like this is a bug in this player. I'm sending mine back and going with a Toshiba, which has always served me well. I, too, phoned Samsung Customer Service and they never heard of this issue. I wonder how good of records they keep.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETphoneHome /forum/post/0

I received my VR325 about a week ago and just got around to hooking it up on Friday when my JVC 52G786 arrived. Played a few DVDs and I have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! Audio skips for about half a second every 1-1/2 minutes or so. It is very annoying as if there is dialog in the movie you will miss 1-2 words. Seems like this is a bug in this player. I'm sending mine back and going with a Toshiba, which has always served me well. I, too, phoned Samsung Customer Service and they never heard of this issue. I wonder how good of records they keep.

I ran into the same issue. Using either the coaxial or optical input, the Dolby Digital signal would switch every couple of minutes and a sound drop would occur.

Does anyone out there have a VR325 that doesn't do this?

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprince /forum/post/0

Does anyone out there have a VR325 that doesn't do this?

Sounds like it is a feature and not a bug.

Seriously, I don't see how Samsung could release a product with such a major flaw in it.

Call Samsung's customer service and see what they say. They will probably say they "never heard of it."

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can't vouch for their DVDR service, but I've had outstanding warranty support from Samsung on LCD Monitors and PC-Based optical drives. Good luck and let us know how they respond to this problem...

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've had my vr-325 for a little over a week, and it's been great. just been trying to find detailed specs on it now. i have it hooked up to my sony 57ws520 w/ HDMI. running th audio (coaxial digital) to my sony receiver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone tried the firmware update for the vr325 on the samsung website to see if it fixes the audio skip problem?

Has anyone gotten one that doesn't have the audio skip issue?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Does anyone know if the remote hack on the Samsung 841/941/850/950 to remove HDCP protection and enable upconverting over component (which is what I need) will work on the VR325?

I was about to pull the trigger on the 950 but my wife wants something that will also record. And please keep us up to date on whether the firmware release fixes the audio stutter/DD sync problems. That would definitely be a deal breaker. Thanks.

-Matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the VR325 the other day and watched one dvd. I did not notice the audio skip problem. I have the audio connected through the optical cable to my stereo system. I don't know if it had anything to do with fixing the problem, but I changed the default audio settings from "pcm" to "bit stream" (to get dolby digitial) and turned off "dynamic compression". I did not apply the firmware update yet.

I still need to play with the vcr and dvd recording, but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
trouptra-

Do you have the VR325 hooked up through HDMI or component? If you are using HDMI, don't worry about it as you'll probably have no reason for the hack.

However, if you are using component, some of the other Samsung DVD players let you disable HDCP from the HDMI port and enable upconversion over component. Using 720p or 1080i should provide a noticable jump in picture quality... especially using 720p. If you are interested, search on "samsung hdcp remote hack" on AVS and you should find a bunch of threads with the button sequence.

If it works, please let us know! Again, if you have no need for disabling HDCP or upscaling over component, you should probably leave well enough alone. However, a firmware update should reverse the process.

-Matt

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got the VR325 & have it connected to my Sony KDF-50WE655 via the HDMI & have played a couple DVD's with no problems with the audio. I haven't tried recording on it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I now have my second Samsung VR325 with the audio skip problem, but only with the DVD when played via an optical cable through the receiver. When played directly through the HDMI cable onto the TV, it is fine. The VCR is fine no matter how it is played. I tried the firmware update and it did not help. I am really happy with the picture and sound, so would like to keep the unit. Has anyone found a solution (I tried messing with the audio settings to no avail)? I'm glad I found this forum - it confirmed the problem wasn't with me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just called Samsung about the VR325 audio skip problem and they were no help - offered to send the firmware upgrade (he didn't know it was on the web site). When I told him that did not work, told me to send it in for repair - I'll take it back and try again (third time may work).

1 - 20 of 137 Posts