AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bulb on my DLP (HLS5086w) went out after 13 months. Its under warranty, but Samsung is telling me that the nearest authorized repair center is over 70 miles away. They have to get 'special approval' to send them this far out for a repair and that just the authorization could take 15 business days. How could a city of over 1 million people not have a authorized repair shop? Anyone in this area have a similar experience?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Why do you need a repair person for a bulb? Samsung should send you one and then you can return the defective one in the same box to them. Call again and make them do that.

PS: I live in the DFW metroplex, about 6 mil people and I had to send an Onkyo receiver to Syracuse, NY for repair. So you are not alone.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwidow02 /forum/post/0

The bulb on my DLP (HLS5086w) went out after 13 months.

I've got the same TV. Do you have a guess about how many hours of use the bulb has experienced in the 13 month period?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/0

Why do you need a repair person for a bulb? Samsung should send you one and then you can return the defective one in the same box to them. Call again and make them do that.

Thats a great question...I ended up ordering one myself just because I can't go without watching my spurs for 3 weeks. I'll give Samsung a call back tonight and insist that they send a replacement immediatly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 /forum/post/0

I've got the same TV. Do you have a guess about how many hours of use the bulb has experienced in the 13 month period?

I'm not sure, but as soon as the new bulb gets here tomorrow, I'll check and let you know. I can tell you that I did not notice an appreciable drop in brightness that would have warned that the bulb was on its way out.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwidow02 /forum/post/0

I'm not sure, but as soon as the new bulb gets here tomorrow, I'll check and let you know. I can tell you that I did not notice an appreciable drop in brightness that would have warned that the bulb was on its way out.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in the Washington DC area - actually, Rockville, Maryland. We have had lots of trouble dealing with the repair companies that Samsung contracts with. The first company that Samsung set us up with didn't even show for the first appointment. When I complained to the company, they said, "Well that's not really our area anyway." So later on, after the same DLP broke down again. Samsung set us up with an outfit in Baltimore. That must be close to 70 miles. The company told us that it would be three weeks before they would be in our area with the two people required to load the 61" Samsung DLP into a truck for pickup. The repair company picked the TV up five days ago, and we havn't heard a word from them. When I called about the TV, the company said that it was in the warehouse. They wouldn't call the warehouse, but told us to email and gave us the email address of the warehouse. Not very personal service. I'm not at all happy with Samsung DLP's or service. The Model HL-S6187W has only worked for six weeks or so, since we bought it on 10/29/06. They have set up five appointments to fix it since we bought it.

Good luck,

Darrell T

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
samsurd2...I put the new bulb in today and it showed a total of 2187 hrs on the dead one...roughly 5 hours per day.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Thanks for the information. That's a little higher than my usage rate but gives me a data point for which to watch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts