AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
hello, I am new to this thread. i got my 65" RU7100 on Monday. this is my first 4K TV. I have to play around with some settings to get better color. The news anchors look like ghosts when using the "normal" setting. Don't like standard or dynamic. Movie is OK but a little dark for my tastes. I just have to find the right expert settings for me.

My two big concerns...

1. As I said this is my first 4K TV. using Xfinity X1 box, ROKU 4K box, and the Samsung TV itself for sources. (also chromecast and my samsung phone sometimes) Some of the content looks "cartoonish" to me. Its hard to explain, but its like it's over processed. Is there a setting that gets rid of this. Like watching HBO on the xfinity x1 box (set to the best resolution 4k), it just seems over processed.

2. The wi-fi speed. Are TV wi-fi inherently worse than other products? I opened the internet browser on the TV and went to speedtest.net (which I use on my PC and phone). And ran a few speed tests. i was only getting like 30 Mbps down using the TV wifi (tried both the 2.4G and 5G wifi networks). The TV is only 15 feet from the router. In comparison my Note 10+ phone gets 178 Mbps down on the 5G wifi network, and the Roku box does about 80 Mbps down (it shows this in the connection properties of the roku box)

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
582 Posts
Unlikely, unless the TV was bouncing around on its side the whole time. Could just be a bad unit. Either way, that's a lot of backlight bleed and if you watch a lot of movies, it's going to be a pain. I'd absolutely return that set.
So disclaimer - I had the NU7100, thought I had the RU, but it doesn't matter as they ended up replacing my set for the RU. Was installed last night.

Same issue, different TV, newer model too - I still have this slight bluish clouding in the top right hand corner when there is complete black image with bright highlights. At this point I think I'm just going to live with it.

What are the chances that 2 TV's could suffer similar issues, even a newer 2019 model (vs 2018 NU series). Anyways...

·
Registered
Samsung NU7100, Samsung UBD-M7500, Samsung HW-N400, Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K
42 Posts
I have a NU7100, but I would like to share my SDR and HDR settings in case it helps anyone else working on trying to get the best picture quality out of this TV. I had to lower contrast to 38 in SDR to prevent color clipping.

SDR SETTINGS
Picture Mode Movie
Backlight 38 (set to your preference)
Brightness 0
Contrast 38
Sharpness 0
Color 27
Tint 0
Digital Clean View OFF
Auto Motion Plus OFF
Contrast Enhancer OFF
Gamma Value 0
Color Space AUTO
Color Tone Warm 1

HDR SETTINGS
Picture Mode Movie
Backlight 48
Brightness 0
Contrast 49
Sharpness 0
Color 25
Tint 0
Digital Clean View OFF
Auto Motion Plus OFF
Contrast Enhancer OFF
Gamma Value 0
Color Space CUSTOM(DCI-P3)
Color Tone Warm 2
White Balance: BlueGain +10
Ambient Light ON (min backlight 48)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello all,
Can anyone report on the wifi stability with this model? I've seen multiple reviews that claim the wifi disconnects when not in use, and is near impossible to re-connect. And there was even a Best Buy review or two which had official Samsung support replies from a few months ago, acknowledging the existence of the problem and a potential firmware fix. Just looking to see if any fix was issued and whether it continues to be an issue for most.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello all,
Can anyone report on the wifi stability with this model? I've seen multiple reviews that claim the wifi disconnects when not in use, and is near impossible to re-connect. And there was even a Best Buy review or two which had official Samsung support replies from a few months ago, acknowledging the existence of the problem and a potential firmware fix. Just looking to see if any fix was issued and whether it continues to be an issue for most.

Thanks, and happy holidays!
A new firmware update just dropped for U.S. download on Nov 26. I myself never noticed an issue with the TV's wifi but I use a firestick mostly though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A new firmware update just dropped for U.S. download on Nov 26. I myself never noticed an issue with the TV's wifi but I use a firestick mostly though.
Thanks! Picked one up and applied the update. So far, so good! Appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm having trouble seeing ANY HDR or UHD Color settings on my RU7100. I thought maybe it could be the cable I got for my XBox One X, but it's very well reviewed for 4k HDR (unless mine is a dud?). However, I'm not even seeing any HDR options for HDR content in something like Samsung's own YouTube app. Does anyone know what the issue might be? I don't remember having any issues with HDR before.

Also, the XBox One X does seem to at least tell me that certain content is elligble for 4k HDR. With Disney+, if HDR is enabled on the XBox, then certain movies will be labeled as such on their respective pages. With HDR turned off on the XBox, Disney+ just labels movies as HD on their pages. HDR movies look really dark, which is why I even tried turning HDR off in the first place. However, I was thinking that maybe it just wasn't setup properly.

I will have to test my WestWorld 4k Blu Ray tomorrow, but I just didn't get a chance to tonight. Is there any obvious setting I'm missing? I'm not seeing anything HDR or UHD Color related in Picture or General Settings.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'm having trouble seeing ANY HDR or UHD Color settings on my RU7100. I thought maybe it could be the cable I got for my XBox One X, but it's very well reviewed for 4k HDR (unless mine is a dud?). However, I'm not even seeing any HDR options for HDR content in something like Samsung's own YouTube app. Does anyone know what the issue might be? I don't remember having any issues with HDR before.

Also, the XBox One X does seem to at least tell me that certain content is elligble for 4k HDR. With Disney+, if HDR is enabled on the XBox, then certain movies will be labeled as such on their respective pages. With HDR turned off on the XBox, Disney+ just labels movies as HD on their pages. HDR movies look really dark, which is why I even tried turning HDR off in the first place. However, I was thinking that maybe it just wasn't setup properly.

I will have to test my WestWorld 4k Blu Ray tomorrow, but I just didn't get a chance to tonight. Is there any obvious setting I'm missing? I'm not seeing anything HDR or UHD Color related in Picture or General Settings.

When you adjust picture settings when an HDR source is fed to the TV and it goes into HDR mode, the settings you adjust are saved to HDR mode. When you switch to an HD source, it will go back to your original settings.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hmm, thanks for that. I feel like I do have some more research to do though, since the HDR images on Disney + are quite dark, and I never seemed to have this issue in games. Will definitely have to spend a bit more time with it. Maybe it just needs to be more properly calibrated in HDR mode, as it's currently super dark.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmm, thanks for that. I feel like I do have some more research to do though, since the HDR images on Disney + are quite dark, and I never seemed to have this issue in games. Will definitely have to spend a bit more time with it. Maybe it just needs to be more properly calibrated in HDR mode, as it's currently super dark.
You can try my HDR settings from a few posts earlier and see how that looks. As for the "UHD color" setting to enable HDR from each HDMI input, I think that terminology has changed to "input signal plus", still in the external device manager menu.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can try my HDR settings from a few posts earlier and see how that looks. As for the "UHD color" setting to enable HDR from each HDMI input, I think that terminology has changed to "input signal plus", still in the external device manager menu.
Thanks again. You know, I did fire up Master Chief Collection tonight in anticipation of playing some Halo Reach, and I did see that this game offers some HDR settings that definitely alleviated some of the dim picture I am seeing with Disney+. I was able to get D+ looking better but it's still fairly dim compared to HDR10 disabled. I can definitely tell because even the XBox menu is darker when it switches over. I've tried turning contrast and gamma up, but the whole image still feels a little dark, almost like the backlight isn't maxed out. I'm contemplating just keeping HDR10 off, as I'm not sure if this TV will even show many of the benefits of HDR anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can anyone on this thread comment on the most recent firmware update (1290.4). Any observations on color, brightness, or anything else regarding picture quality? Did anything change for the worse, or better?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can anyone on this thread comment on the most recent firmware update (1290.4). Any observations on color, brightness, or anything else regarding picture quality? Did anything change for the worse, or better?
You are in the RU 7100 Owner's thread which is on Firmware ver1335.0.

I guessing you have a NU 7100 and are posting in the wrong thread?:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a Samsung 43" RU7100. Just used the calibration settings at RTINGS......my tv has both 2.2 and BT1886 gamma. Which is the one to use?

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
But do the other calibration settings (from the NRTINGS website) in white balance and color space settings have to be adjusted if switching to BT1886?
Probably but you should run that question by RTINGS.

This post from Mr Fujisawa I've found to be a simple summary of what benefits of the 2 are.
"I use both, My bright preset is 2.2 and my dark preset is BT1886 (basically 2.4). That way I get to see more shadow detail when its bright in the room and when its nice and dark, I have much punchier shadow detail."

RTINGS used 2.2 with the reasoning that it was closest to their calibration target.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you adjust picture settings when an HDR source is fed to the TV and it goes into HDR mode, the settings you adjust are saved to HDR mode. When you switch to an HD source, it will go back to your original settings.
I am trying to adjust HDR settings on this model. I have enabled Input Signal Plus on the HDMI port. Adjusting while purported HDR content is playing from Amazon Prime app. Is there any way to tell when the display has switched to HDR mode?

First post for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I bought a couple months ago a Samsung UN43RU7100FXZ in an offer that included a UHD Video Pack CY-SUC05SJ/XS. When tryed to watch the movies in there, the TV do not recognize them, showing like there were no movies in there.
I searched a bit and realized that the *.UM4 files were made for an older samsung TV models to be played, but not by the new ones. So, I complained to Samsung and the store of purchase, but either way I had no solution, they just tell me that I should formatt the HDD to use it like a storage device.

In searching for solutions, I found on AVSFORUM that some guys, in 2014, changed the type of file just by typing mp4 instead of um4. I tryed but it didn´t worked for me.

So now I am trying to find out if after these years a solution was found, or maybe I should just quit and formatt the HDD.

Any info you can share with me? advices?

Thanks...!!!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts