AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Our 'smart' TV will be 8 weeks old this Saturday!

Last Saturday, we were happily watching TV when all of a sudden a white line appeared on the bottom quarter of the screen and then the screen went blank.

Of course we turned the unit off, unplugged the power cord and let it cool for a few minutes before attempting to turn it back on. Lo and behold, no action on the screen, however we still had sound. Again, we turned it off, unplugged it and left it for about 10 minutes to cool and when we tried again still no display. It was then that I noticed that in the bottom left hand corner there was a spiderweb crack stretching across the whole corner. The strange thing is, there is no damage on the glass at all, not a scratch, it's internal, behind the glass. It occured to us then, that about half an hour before we lost the picture on the screen, my husband made mention of the fact that the heat radiating from the TV was a lot more than usual, and in hindsight I guess we now know there's something not right with that.

We contacted the store from where we purchased the TV and the representative advised us to contact Samsung directly. We did this, and they talked us through numerous troubleshooting actions, even after I had explained we had done almost all these actions at least three times over and we still had no picture. The Samsung rep then reluctantly arranged a time and day for a technician to come to inspect the tv and make repairs if it is deemed to be a fault with the TV. He then proceeded to tell me that if it is discovered to be something caused by us we will be charged the service call.

Since booking the technician I have researched problems with Samsung plasmas and have read numerous stories of this exact issue happening to people all over the world and almost each person has been left at a loss without a working tv with Samsung refusing to take responsibility for it. This makes me nervous for Friday when the tech comes to look at our tv.

I have since contacted the Office of Fair Trading to seek advise, the operator advised me to call back to the store where it was purchased and request that they deal with Samsung on my behalf as it was only 7 weeks ago that we purchased it.

I have contacted the store and was put through to their repairs/warranty department. The representative was very obliging and took down my reference number for the Samsung call and promised to get straight back to me.

Within minutes I had a callback from the store to advised she had spoken to Samsung and when they arrive on Friday they will NOT be charging me, and if they do I am to contact her directly. She then went on to tell me that its important for me to be firm and forceful with the technician and request that we receive a replacement tv as opposed to repairs. Due to the age of TV, I would expect nothing less.

A TV with less than 3 months worth of use should not have this problem, but it appears this is a common issue with Samsung and their plasma TVs.

I am hopeful for an outcome in our favour but I'm very dubious given the experience of other Samsung TV owners and Samsung blatantly dodging their responsibility, which is to provide quality appliances and guarantee that the product will last longer than 2 months.

If anyone has any advise on this subject or can offer any point or hints to help us it would be greatly appreciated! If anyone has had this happen and has received positive outcome I would love to hear about it. It might renew my faith in the system.

·
Registered
20,914 Posts
Well for the msot part if people are happy they arent on forums like these ior posting on the internet, thats why you see such a one sided view. There are plenty of reports of Samsung repairg Tvs or even replacing them IF the TV is under warranty. If you are out of warranty then you are taking a chance. More often then not though youll get the TV repaired and be on your way.

As far as advice goes, youve gone farther than most would and the wheels are in motion. There is nothing really anyone can say until the Tech comes out and makes the determination of what needs to be fixed. Once that is done youll know the next steps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.