AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh. Choices, choices...

Am currently in the market for a new HDTV (my very first at home, though I've worked in the video game industry with 'em for years, and all my friends/family have one. My Sony WEGA was good enough that HDTV just didn't seem as big a priority, somehow. Plus, I was so video'ed-out at work).

Have done a good amt of research, and many hours of PQ-comparing at various big box stores (since PQ is what counts). What I find is:

- I personally like LCD's picture over plasma ('cept maybe for the Kuro, but that's beyond my $$$ range)

- Of all makers, I like Samsung LCDs best (with Sony about as good, but more expensive. LG's up there too)

I know I'll be sitting about 11-12' away in my viewing space, and that I want a 46" screen (52" felt a bit too large at that viewing distance to me. But I have extremely good vision).

So now I'm down to- Which Samsung series to get?

I've viewed the 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series and 8 Series extensively. My impressions:

- 5 Series is a bit worse than the others, PQ-wise. You can tell. Still quite good.

- Don't seem to notice a pic quality difference between the 6 and 7s. Does anyone else? Also understand that the only diff between these sets is a USB 2.0/music player port.

- The 8 Series (860 is what I've viewed) seems to have a slight but noticeable edge over the rest, PQ-wise. Not sure why that'd be... I've been told repeatedly that it's the same set as those, just thinner. Also, any real differences between the 860 and 850, other than ToC blue vs ToC red?

- Have not viewed a 9 Series yet. Have received widely conflicting reports about how much the LED backlighting does/doesn't help PQ. Is on edge of my budget. Don't want to step up to it unless it really wipes the floor with the other Sammys.

So, based mostly on picture quality, but also other considerations (would like to play my iPod through the TV speakers easily), any feelings/observations,/suggestions as to which you feel is best, also taking $$$ into consideration? I'm looking for the 'sweet spot', as it were.

So many choices, so little time. Thus, I take counsel from the motley band of experts assembled here.

Edit- Am also curious if there's going to be any 760 or 660 models- I sorta like the ToC blue.

Am also hearing about some sort of 'S, A, C panel' controversy, and wonder to what extent its going to affect these models going forward. Thanks for any info provided.

--

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you're thinking about getting a 9 series, you could afford a 5020 Kuro.

I thought the 8 series had really good off angle viewing, this is supposedly terrible on the 9 series, but the blacks on the 9 get absolute when viewing straight on. If this is a family tv and no one else knows (or cares) anything about televisions, you'd probably be fine with the 6 series.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau /forum/post/15446560

If you're thinking about getting a 9 series, you could afford a 5020 Kuro.

True that. I should re-phrase what I said... I don't really want to shell out for the 9 series unless it wipes the floor with the other Sammys and the Kuro. Then the price becomes justifiable.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta /forum/post/15448950

Probably not the best time to be buying with the new models expected in a few months. I'd hold out until after CES at least.

Hmm... you think there'll be some price drops on the current models immediately following CES?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15446580

I own a 9 series and prefer it over the Kuro. The backlighting makes a huge difference

The LED amps up the pic quality that much, huh? Wow.

In your opinion, does the 9 Series blow away the 860? I'm going to have to hunt a 9 down.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15451930

The LED amps up the pic quality that much, huh? Wow.

In your opinion, does the 9 Series blow away the 860? I'm going to have to hunt a 9 down.

I have not seen a 850 next to a 950, but have seen a 750 against a 950 and there is a major difference.

I have owned Elites, Samsungs plasmas, Sony reference CRT, etc. The 950 is the best PQ I have ever seen on anything including the Kuro. You can make it look like a Kuro if you want with adjustments or you can make it look like the crispest picture you have ever seen. On top of that the VP on the 950 is cleaner than the Kuro. The LED backlighting gives you flexibility you don't have on any other set on the market to significantly brighten the picture WITHOUT losing contrast. I watching the Colts now and can't believe how good this picture appears.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm watching the Colts/Chargers on the 950 too. The color is accurate, the bright white and black level is superb. No wonder they gave this tv a million to one for Contrast Ratio.

This tv definitely blows away my XBR3.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15448712

True that. I should re-phrase what I said... I don't really want to shell out for the 9 series unless it wipes the floor with the other Sammys and the Kuro. Then the price becomes justifiable.

Wait until Jan 11th. The new Samsung B6000 55" LED (matte screen) and the B7000 55" LED (UCP) will be announced and priced between the 9 series and the 850series for a release date of mid/late spring. The LED will give you kuro blacks without the baggage that comes with plasma. Or you can get the new CCFL models coming soon. Or, get the current series when the new ones ship, and save some money. My point is wait till Jan.8th - 11th when Samsung issues a press release regarding the new models and timeframe.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15448712

I personally would go with the Kuro judging by what you stated above, 950 doesn't wipe the floor with the Kuro...and we're not even talking about the Elite version here. The 5020fd and 950 series is quite close in performance (actually 5020fd is rated higher on CNet). Getting a 950 is also like a lottery too since they made a board update to fix the blotching -- you might not get the updated boards or be stuck with early production panel. The 5020fd has buzzing (for me, very slight, can't hear during usage). I don't recall buzzing being a big deal on the 5020fd as much as the 60" version, but throwing it as there as well.

Each sides come with its pros and cons but at a higher price point for the Samsung, I would go with the 5020fd to save.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good advice, and I thank you gentlemen for it.

There's two things I'm definitely going to do:

1) Wait until after CES to make my buying decision

2) Hunt down a 9 Series and view it extensively

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to your original post; you want to connect your ipod to your TV and play through your TV's Speakers.

With some research on this forum, I believe you'll find that the speakers on 850 are lackluster. I think the 750 has the best internal speaker package in the Samsung current lineup (according to my research).

I most tell ya though - I don't own any of these models, but I'm in search and anxiously waiting for CES. I currently own the LNT4066 and love it - but it's time to wall mount w/ a 12' view distance

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15455304

Good advice, and I thank you gentlemen for it.

There's two things I'm definitely going to do:

1) Wait until after CES to make my buying decision

2) Hunt down a 9 Series and view it extensively

Here is a tip to decide if the 950 is for you. View it a couple of times watching:

-Football game: which will give you an idea of any motion issues you might perceive

-Movie: this will give you an idea how film looks on the 950

-Sitcom: these are usually done in video which is a different look than film. BTW, not The Office which is done in film

Try the AMP feature in both low and medium. I like it in low as it give a 3 dimensional look. If you view it under these 3 conditions you will have a great idea of what the 950 can do and if it fits your needs. Finally, be prepared for some image wash-out when you get 15 degrees off-axis. Just a fact of life with LCD and not plasma. So, this set is best viewed straight on.

Here is a professional review

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...tv/index1.html

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15455640

Here is a professional review

http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldi...tv/index1.html

Sound advice. And, great review. But in the Conclusions section, seems like they really like the Kuro better.

I'll definitely still check out the 9 for myself though.

Again though, unless utterly blown away by what I see, 6-8 Series is starting to look really good for bang-for-buck. But also again, CES will bring some interesting news.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15455975

Sound advice. And, great review. But in the Conclusions section, seems like they really like the Kuro better.

I'll definitely still check out the 9 for myself though.

Again though, unless utterly blown away by what I see, 6-8 Series is starting to look really good for bang-for-buck. But also again, CES will bring some interesting news.

As I have mentioned, I have owned Pioneer Elites and it comes down to what "look" you like better. For me I like a brighter picture and whiter whites. A plasma will give you grayish whites and much less brightness. That's not what I see when I look out my window. The advantage of the 950 is that you can make it look closer to a Kuro than you can make a Kuro look like a 950, so you have options. If Westa is around he has a pretty good take on this issue.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drblatz /forum/post/15455399

According to your original post; you want to connect your ipod to your TV and play through your TV's Speakers.

With some research on this forum, I believe you'll find that the speakers on 850 are lackluster. I think the 750 has the best internal speaker package in the Samsung current lineup (according to my research).

May not matter too much, as I had been planning to hook up some self-powered Audio Engine 2 speakers to the TV (allegedly they're quite awesome for their paltry $200 price tag).

But I guess the 750's better speakers explain why it's a bit bigger than the 6 and 8 Series.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Also when going to check out the 950 I would suggest considering the lighting you are viewing it in as compared to where you will be viewing. Personally I still love my Kuro but would not say to stay away from anything like the 950 as it does give a different kind of picture from a Kuro.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you, funk. That's a good point.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am forced to buy a new tv in the next few days. I looked at the 6,7,8, and 9 seriers today and the blacks on the 9 are awsome. I was also very impressed with the 860. My question is what is the difference between the 6,7, and 8 series. All the specs look the same to me.

This tv is for my bedroom and I just don't know if the 9 warrants the price for my situation.

I have read all about the Samsung's and really like the tv I just don't know which way to go.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.