AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Why is that when I play 3D Bluray rips (avatar,how to train your dragon, alice in wonderland and cloudy with the chance of meatsballs) my HTPC downscales mo to 720p?

TV -> Samsung Series 8 46" 3DTV

GPU -> 5970

CPU -> i7 950

But on regulard movies 720p/1080p it plays normally, but when I play 3D rips it downscales the resolution automatically.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobskarlpox /forum/post/19508155

Hi,

Why is that when I play 3D Bluray rips (avatar,how to train your dragon, alice in wonderland and cloudy with the chance of meatsballs) my HTPC downscales mo to 720p?

TV -> Samsung Series 8 46" 3DTV

GPU -> 5970

CPU -> i7 950

But on regulard movies 720p/1080p it plays normally, but when I play 3D rips it downscales the resolution automatically.

Interesting. Are these torrent rips you're downloading? A majority of the BD rips are in 720p. What are you playing the rips through? Media player, PS3, computer via DVI/HDMI?

Where are you getting the rips from?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep those are torrent rips. I play them with TMT3. Actually when I play them they are in fullscreen. But after I switched on the 3D mode on on my samsung then it downscales it to 720p.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Where did you get those torrents from? Which ones are they? I'm only seeing about 2 or 3 3D movies with a decent amount of seeders. If you let me know where you found them, i'll download them and try them on my system to see if I'm getting the same result.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@tamptom its from ipt. The files are round 30-40+gb. I can watch them in full 1080p if i use the 2D to 3D feature. But I use the 3rd to the last 3D (person behind a grid). Then the screen just downscales to 720p.

@rallyho ohh ill check that out. Do you set overscan before watching? or during watching it when it overscans already? I also cant find the overscan in CCC.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That's Checkerboard 3d. Interesting.

That's the HDMI1.3 on your video card, but it should be 1080p60 input, and processed in the tv to 1080p60x2. Either the tv intperprets the chechkerbord as 720p60, or the player outputs 720p60 checkerboard for some reason.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I see you said it turns to 720p when the tv 3d is on; I think this is how the tv processes the checkeboard - it receives 1080p and intperpolates/rescales it to 720p. That's sad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It plays 1080p if I use the 2D-3D conversion feature with LCD at 1920x1080 (the person behind the grid 3D is not available, only the 2D-3D, left-right and up-down). The depth of the 3D is not the same with the 2D-3D compared to the 3D ready version of a movie (somehow I don't feel where the depths are).

If I play it on 1680x1050 there will be 6 types of 3D functions available. I used the one with the person behind the grid since it kinds sync with the 3D with the isos I downloaded (the 3D is working here). But the TV rescales my resolution, and when I return to my desktop its not full screen any more. So I have to reset it again to 1920x1080 then to 1680x1050 to be full screen (1680x1050 is full screen but after I put 3D on it somehow downscales the screen).

The only solution I could think of is burn the ISO and play it with my player. -.- Though I don't want that option since I want to play it using my HTPC. How do you guys play your 3D movies anyways?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I watch checkeboard 1360x768 from PowerDVD, however my tv is the 720p Samsung, and this this the maximum resolution compatible with checkerboard 3d for this tv. I exptected that the 1080p tv can take 1080p checkerboard, but this may not be the case.

(Per my tv's manual, checkerboard is compatible with "PC" resolutions only, this is why it is greyed out for the "HDMI"(tv) resolution 1080.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah ic. so i guess ill just have to watch them in 720p or burn them for 1080p. lol never thought that it would be the tv's problem... too bad..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm on board now... the issue i'm seeing is that it's downscaling to 720p on ALL of my 3D sources. Bluray and 1080p games. I haven't really experimented much with an other 3D units though. I'm using a PS3 with the latest firmware update. I have a samsung bluray player in a box right now. Maybe I should mess with that? I'm wondering if it's some kind of HDMI 1.3 issue although I'm using a 1.4 cable?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts