AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding the second question, since the SIR-T150 tunes HDTV only (and not NTSC), are you planning to record down-converted HDTV? How much better is this than recording NTSC from cable or satellite? Just curious.

I don't know about Replay, but I'm pretty sure my Tivo can't control any HDTV tuners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
RE "...since the SIR-T150 tunes HDTV only..."

Sorry, but the Samsung tunes OTA DTV only. That will be HDTV for a few shows, but is SDTV for the most part. And the picture quality will almost certainly be better than the same channel on analog cable, and well worth recording.

Pell: On your indore attic antenna question, I've just installed one. The first question is "do you need VHF?". Here in Atlanta, one of the stations is broadcasting their DTV on channel 10, so my antenna needed to receive both. This is a major pain, as good VHF antennas are much larger. But if your attic is big enough, then a big, ugly antenna isn't a problem.

I would not bother with an antenna preamp unless it turns out you need it. They do add noise. Unless your signal is weak or your cable run is really long, just go with a good antenna.

Channel Master is a good brand. Check out consumer-direct.com for models and pricing. Lowes carries Channel Master here in Atlanta. Home Depot carries RCA antennas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks guys..I'll pick up the RS double bowtie and let you know how it looks when I get connected hopefully by mid week.

I will run the coax from the antenna into my Samsung HD tuner and then run S VIDEO out to Replay S VIDEO IN.

I will keep my local cable coax going into Replay TV since Replay does allow multiple source inputs and will integrate the stations onto 1 menu...I hope...I'm not sure how REplayh or TiVO knows what to do when it regarding their menus when it receives, for instance CBS from the HD tuner and CBS from the local cable company. Any thoughts??

Also, I will still need my IR Blaster from Replay to work the power and channel changes on the Samsung tuner, or I'll be locked onto just 1 station all the time.

If necessary, I'll have to call Replay service and hook them up with Samsung tech support to have them download the correct code to my Replay so it controls the HD box.

Philip

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GuyGordon--

You are of course right about DTV vs. HDTV. Pardon my inexact wording.

By the same token, I should say that a Tivo can't control OTA DTV tuners. It can control DirecTV boxes. I believe for those which combine DirecTV and OTA DTV support, the Tivo can't tell them to tune the OTA DTV channels, since it can't specify the subchannel.

However, for the RCA DTC-100 there is a workaround--apparently it will tune to the next active channel. So, for example, if you tell it to tune to channel X it can find X.1. I don't know whether the Samsung has that behavior.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I'm just going on what I've read.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will be receiving the Samsung OTA HD tuner on Monday and have 2 questions:

1. Which is the BEST INDOOR - ATTIC type of antenna to use with the unit. I have done much research and some are happy with an inexpensive RS double bowtie, others use the amplified RS unit, referred to in the review by Peter...on this tuner. I live in one of the western suburbs of Philadelphia, not far from King of Prussia.

2. I use Replay TV to record most shows since I've got 1 wife and a 3 year old and not much time for live TV. In order to make sure the Samsung tuner does not just stay on 1 station, I will need to use the IR Blaster for Repalya nd attache it to the front of the HD tuner.

Does anyone know if Repaly TV has the codes needed to control the Samsung SIR T-150, which was made after the Replay TV?

Thanks! Philip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.