AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 4 DTV stations WCNC-DT ch.22 has choppy audio.

It doesn't matter if the decoder is set to PCM or AC-3 in the audio setup menu.

One trick I noticed... If I press MENU, then move the pointer up and down the screen a couple of times, then the audio returns to normal.

It seems like a flaw in the firmware in the Samsung.

Has anyone else observed this?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I receive similar results on my SIR-T150 sometimes when tuning in the local CBS affiliate. Usually a slight antenna adjustment or channel up/down takes care of the problem. I've noticed this on the local UPN affiliate, too, but never watch that channel.

The problem does not occur with the ABC, NBC, PBS or Fox local affiliates.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Now that you mention it, I did notice this, but only immediately after I performed the software upgrade. I figured CBS was just having some technical difficulties. I haven't wated much of anything lately, so I didn't know it was an issue.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
I've been having choppy audio here as well, but only on the PBS station....never on the other three. And it is intermittent....most of the time the audio is fine.

[This message has been edited by Rudy1 (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am seeing the same thing on the nbc affiliate here in Houston. Just like HTBuff, if I go into the menu, it will fix the audio (most of the time).

[This message has been edited by Ripnickus (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am also getting choppy audio from CBS out of DC. My other stations, including Baltimore come in fine. Activating the menu does seem to fix the sound fairly quickly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Same problem in San Francisco - ONLY with the ABC ch 7 KGO.

Sometimes the menu trick works, sometimes not.

Sometimes it just clears up by itself after awhile, but

might come back later.

I only live 1 mile from the tower (could almost use my

teeth fillings as an antenna!) so signal strength isn't

likely the problem, though I'm having a great deal of

multipath (ghosting) problems without a direct line of

site and limited to an indoor antenna.

------------------

..RM

·
Registered
99 Posts
Changing to an indoor UHF bow-tie antenna (from Radio Shack) got rid of nearly all my reception problems.

However, the chattering audio is still a problem for San Francisco channel 29 (7-1), which unfortunately is the only ABC channel here. ABC just started their new season with ALL their primetime in HDTV, which I can't watch because of this audio problem.

I believe the problem is related to converting 720p to 1080i for output, because if I switch the box to 480p the problem is gone, but so is the HD! This problem never occurs on the 1080i or 480p stations.

The menu trick rarely works for me - usually I lose the sound completely... nothing else works either.

A week ago a Samsung representative said they're working on a software upgrade to fix the problem. Hope so.

------------------

..RM

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oops - that's SF channel 24 (7-1).

And 7-2, the 480 simulcast also sounds fine.

------------------

..RM

·
Registered
559 Posts
Quote:
I believe the problem is related to converting 720p to 1080i for output, because if I switch the box to 480p the problem is gone, but so is the HD! This problem never occurs on the 1080i or 480p stations.
The problem cannot be with the 720p to 1080i conversion, since I am only having this audio problem with the local CBS affiliate (which broadcasts in 1080i). The problem does not occur with any of the other affiliates, including ABC, on my stb. Bringing up the menu and moving the cursor up/down always fixes the problem.

The Samsung is attached to a Toshiba 56H80, and I always leave the output from the Samsung at 1080i.

[This message has been edited by Scott M (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
196 Posts
Samsung is aware of this probvlem, and another software upgrade should be released soon. There is also another shipment of tuners inbound to the US, so I would expect the software upgrade to be available about the same time.

Some of you may notice a repeating, 'skipping' audio whenyou select certain channels and then depress the DISPLAY button. Again, they know about it and a fix is in the works.

KC

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, I've run into the audio loop problem after pressing display as well. It's very infrequent though. The chatter is much more prominent, sometimes appearing in the middle of a show, and difficult to fix at times. Last night I resorted to switching to 480p output. Later I found that power off/on, then the menu trick usually got the sound back.

From what I gather from the above posts, it sounds like a software bug, probably related to sorting out signal interference or multipath ghosting. This would explain the erratic behavior. I suppose output at 480p is less process intensive than 720 or higher, leaving more time to sort the signals. These boxes seem to be specialized computers, what with even having their own 'mouse' pointers.

I haven't checked their web page, but I can see how they might not want to make this kind of info "too" public. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

..RM

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rmears:

A week ago a Samsung representative said they're working on a software upgrade to fix the problem. Hope so.

I got the recent 1.6 upgrade e-mailed directly to me from that very helpful Samsung sales manager, but is there going to be a way to perhaps get the newest version perhaps from their web site? Or is that way too easy?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.