AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running out of input real estate on the back of my Toshiba, and I need a DVI to HDMI converter. I'd like to order it this morning so I have it before the weekend. Unfortunately, I forgot to check my output before I went to work today, and need a bit of help.

My Samsung STB has a DVI output on the back, which I need to plug into the HDMI on my screen (my two component items being my 360 and my upconverting DVD player). Do I need a Male-Male, Female-Female, Male-Female or Female-Male?

Or, on the other hand, is this a bad idea?

(Or on the other other hand, am I posting in the wrong area - if so feel free to flame!)

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am not well versed on HDMI male/female terminology, but am using a DVI cable to connect a DVI up converting DVD player with HDMI adapter to LCD display. Audio to sound system is separate (although, the LCD does have RCA jacks for audio input if needed).

If you consider a socket female, and plug male, and using a DVI cable, you would need a female DVI (socket) to HDMI male (plug) into back of display. If using an HDMI cable, you would need HDMI female (socket) to DVI male (pins). This is assuming both ends of cable are male (plugs). It is probably easiest to tell by just looking at them, and when the cable is connected to the adapter, you end up with a plug for HDMI (that plugs into a display) and a DVI end with pins (male plug).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.