AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in another thread a week or so ago, and just went back to review what was said -- for whatever reason, the answer that I was given no longer appears in the thread, which has me a little concerned. So, I would like to ask this again:

If the Samsung SIR-T151 is set to output 480i and is connected to a conventional 4x3 NTSC television, WILL it display 1080i programming in letterbox format?

One person in the other thread seemed to imply that it would NOT, while someone else said it WOULD (but that post is not longer there).

Thanks in advance for any concrete info.

--Bill R.

·
Super Moderator
18,510 Posts
Bill..

If you're outputting 480i and are hooked up using the S-video or composite video connections, "letterbox" is a choice when receiving a 1080i broadcast. If the broadcast is in 480i or 480p, the 151 will say "full only" when you try to change the aspect ratio.

My 151 is hooked up to a 4:3 SD television most of the time. It doesn't have component inputs, so I don't know if the Sammy outputs 480i to the component ports or not.

Doc

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Doc.

When you say it says "full only" when receiving a 480i or 480p broadcast, does that mean it would NOT be able to properly display a "Fox Widescreen" broadcast if the station is not upconverting it to 720p or 1080i?

Kind of a moot point for me I guess, since my Fox station DOES upconvert to 1080i, but I can see how that might be a problem for some.

(and yes, just for clarity's sake, all of the above assumes a composite or S-Video connection to a conventional 4:3 TV).

--Bill R.

·
Super Moderator
18,510 Posts
Bill..

Our FOX affiliate upconverts, too. On my 4:3 set (fed via S-video), I have the same choices I have with any 1080i transmission. I generally choose "Letterbox" just so I can see the extra 2 or 3 cars in the picture on the NASCAR races. Assuming I'm not downstairs watching on the HDTV to begin with.

Doc

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videojanitor
If the Samsung SIR-T151 is set to output 480i and is connected to a conventional 4x3 NTSC television, WILL it display 1080i programming in letterbox format?

One person in the other thread seemed to imply that it would NOT, while someone else said it WOULD (but that post is not longer there).
The TS160 (*not* the T151) has a 1080i bug when connected to 4:3 non-anamorphic sets. It will not do letterbox on *any* output jack if viewing a 1080i program, and the box is set to 1080i (& outputting simultaneous 480i on vid & s-vid jacks). LTBX does work when viewing 720p programs, though, or if the resolution switch on the back of the box is set to 480(p/i).

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen, thanks for your responses. Based on what you guys have told me, I'm gonna pick one of these things up. Hopefully, at least the letterboxed image will be vertically CENTERED, unlike the Panasonic TU-DST52 I bought a couple of weeks ago (which BTW, I sent back to Panasonic and have not heard a word since ...)

--Bill R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.