AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a DVI connection to my Fujitsu P50 plasma, the image is shifted to the right. With component video, the picture is fine.

What can I do to rectify this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is iformation in the t165 manual on how to fix your problem. If you

need more help pm me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jpruss1, thanks for the offer. I misplaced my manual during my recent move. What suggestions do you have to fix my problem?

·
Registered
25 Posts
First you need to make sure you have a software version above 122. Go

to the help menu and with help on press info, the last three numbers will

tell. If they are above 122 press the mits button on the remote and then

press enter twice. A shift box should show in the upper left hand corner.

Press enter one more time and use the left/right buttons to move the

screen. Then press exit when done. If you do not have version 122 or

above call samsung and request they send you a updated version

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JPR, I checked my tuner, and I have version 120. I will call Samsung for version 122.

Just curious, how do know so much about this issue?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had to fix the same problem. BTY you can view or download the STB

manual from the Samsung web site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke to Samsung customer service today, and they told me to send the HD tuner to Samsung for the firmware upgrade. I am hesitant to send the unit and be without HD for a few weeks, and have the unit damaged in transit. Is this the only way the problem can be fixed?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a SIR-T165 tuner but am now only using the RGB output. Eventually, I hope to get a TV with DVI input and would like to avoid the problems mentioned above. I've searched through the manual but could find nothing about "right shifting" of the image on the DVI output. Also, I could not follow the instructions for finding the firmware version number. When you mention "go to the help menu" is that the on-screen help option in the preferences? When I turn that on and press info on the remote i see the station info but nothing about the version no. I can't find any other "help menu". I guess I'm missing something, but don't know what it is.

I am hoping that Samsung will eventually correct the black crush problem; if not, I will have to restrict my TV choices to those that will accept DVI-PC levels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Call Samsung back and ask for Steve. They should send you the updated

version. When in the on line help menu press the enter button the screen

will show the on and off if you have the on selected press the info button.

See page 38 for info on screen shifting and page 26 for finding the version number.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the help.

I got the display from "info" with help "on"; it showed:

S_TIROS3_120 S_TIROS53_110 S_TIROS73_007

I assume this means I have version 120. I also assume that the phone no for Samsung customer service is the one in the manual. If they send an upgrade, how is it loaded into the T165?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your right you have version 120 and need the up-date. I do not know

how it is loaded into the STB. I found that information by doing a search

on this and other forums for the sir-t165. Even when I made the screen

adjustments its still not centered. Maybe its not worth the effort. My screen

is only off when I watch SD using the STB. I only have OTA for HD. The rest

of the time I use my Dish 501 (waiting for the Dish 921 for more HD). I will

share a tip for better picture using the DVI. I use s-video from the DVD and

501 to the STB. That converts both to 1080i.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I called Samsung customer service at 1-800-Samsung, I was told my tuner would have to be sent to them for the firmware upgrade, and would take them a couple of days to update the tuner. I do not want my unit damaged in transit, so I think I will stick to component video for now. I e-mailed Samsung and complained that their local service centers should be able to fix the problems, so we did not have to send the units to them, but their reply was that this unit is more high end, and needed to be sent back to Samsung for any repair or upgrade.

Using DVI, the picture was slightly sharper, but I can live with component video for now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jpruss1
I will

share a tip for better picture using the DVI. I use s-video from the DVD and

501 to the STB. That converts both to 1080i.
Any reason you're using s-video instead of component from the DVD? I would think that component would give better quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I use component in I have to use component out instead of DVI. I tried

it and and all I got was a screwed up picture.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jpruss1
If I use component in I have to use component out instead of DVI. I tried

it and and all I got was a screwed up picture.
According to the input-output table in my SIR-T165 manual (page 1.11), the following inputs are "viewing only through an authorized display" (a TV monitor is an authorized display):

D-VHs Signal through FireWire

Video IN/S-Video

YPbPr (Component Video Input)

This means that if you can view S-Video from the DVI you should also be able to view component. I am counting on this capability for the future when I get a display with DVI. I believe that using S-Video can result in significant quality loss in the video signal, since the chroma carrier must be modulated in the DVD player, then demodulated in the T165. In addition I believe that the bandwidth limitations for chroma carrier modulation are more severe than the encoded bandwidth on the DVD.

This may be worth a call to Samsung to see if something is wrong with your receiver.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last year the FCC passed the Plug and Play rule that prohibites the turning off of ports based on content. The SIR-T165 does not comply with this regulation. Does anybody know if they will upgrade the firmware to make it comply or is somebody rewriting the firmware on their own?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clim422
When I called Samsung customer service at 1-800-Samsung, I was told my tuner would have to be sent to them for the firmware upgrade, and would take them a couple of days to update the tuner. I do not want my unit damaged in transit, so I think I will stick to component video for now. I e-mailed Samsung and complained that their local service centers should be able to fix the problems, so we did not have to send the units to them, but their reply was that this unit is more high end, and needed to be sent back to Samsung for any repair or upgrade.

Using DVI, the picture was slightly sharper, but I can live with component video for now.
A while back there was a thread about a user upgrade for the T165, here's a link to it .

I got the latest firmware update from "steve" at Samsung (see post #16 of the thread mentioned above for his email address) back around Thanksgiving and installed it myself. The only caveat to this upgrade (that I know about) is that it causes the unit to lockup when it tries to tune in a channel with dead air. However, you can circumvent this problem by deleting the offending channel from memory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the link to the firmware updating thread.

Amazon has the SIR-T165 (looks like they are new units, even though in the Outlet section) for $429.88. This looks like my best option for finally getting HDTV in Phoenix. I will only be using the component cables for now, but I want to get myself to the best firmware for whenever I end up with a DVI display. Also the likelihood of tracking down this firmware a couple of years from now or finding a computer that still has 9 pin serial ports will only be more difficult than today. I plan to:

1) Buy receiver on Amazon

2) Check the firmware, if not acceptable version

3) email Samsung

3) Buy a 9 pin plug as necessary

4) Dump the latest and/or greatest firmware.

Does this make sense to you guys? Is the Amazon price the best one you've seen?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I received the e-mail from Steve Plechy at Samsung with the firmware upgrade, and I downloaded the upgrade to the T165. Now the image on the plasma is centered correctly. Steve was very helpful. If you need help, give him a call at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

The picture with DVI might look a little sharper than component, but the picture is much darker. I had to bring up the brightness level up a lot to get a decent picture.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you have to use the center screen help I talked about or did it center

by its self after the update? How was the update added to the STB.

Glad you were able to fix the problem. This forum is great

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.