Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Friend of mine saw my T165 and liked it, decided a 351 would work for him. He got it and it only works thru the DVI when the reciever is set on 480P, just a scramble in 1080i. He brought the 351 to my house(we have exactly the same TV) and it does not work there either.

Has anyone had this experiece? I see no other settings for the receiver that can be switched. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
What TV do you have? Does it support HDCP? I thought the 165 ONLY supported HDCP enabled displays ... perhaps the 351 is the same ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We both have a Philips 60PP9502. The DVI works fine on mine, I thought the HDCP was part of DVI, if a TV has DVI it has HDCP. It is just the question when the HD content is copy protected. Of course I am very new to all this. Thanks

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Short Answer:

No, not all display devices with DVI support HDCP. However, I checked the Philips web site ... it says your TV supports HDCP. And you indicated you're getting a picture in 480p and a scrambled picture in 1080i so ... I doubt my above guess is what's happening ... if your set didn't support HDCP (and the STB required it) you should get no signal (or hopefully a nice message telling you what was going on).

Long Answer:

DVI is just a way for a source (STB) to send another device (TV) a signal. HDCP is not required on either side. However, if the source (STB) requires HDCP ... then it's going to check the other device (TV) to make sure it supports HDCP. It will ask the other device (TV) for keys, and then only send the signal if the other device (TV) provides valid keys. A TV that didn't support HDCP wouldn't be able to send the source (STB) any keys ... and so wouldn't get any signal sent to it.

Hmmm ... sorry I can't help more. How about taking the STB in to a store with some other TVs and checking them out ... that may help you isolate the problem more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.