AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased close to 25 Samsung SIR-TS160 HD recievers for various restuarants. Several have had issues such as no sound but picture, or it can pickup satelite channels but not digital off-air. My most recent problem is that one of the recievers picks up sat. channels fine, but the local off-air digital channels go on and off at their own free will. This is a reciever issue, trust me. Has any one else had trouble with these?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, info for any newbies: Unless you want problems, don't get a hughes HD reciever they &%$!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Thanks that's good to know

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Mine would pick up local DT stations for about 30 minutes, then lose them. Had to unplug it & let it sit a bit to fix, only to do the same thing again. I put a fan on it, and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dustbuny
I have purchased close to 25 Samsung SIR-TS160 HD recievers for various restuarants. Several have had issues such as no sound but picture, or it can pickup satelite channels but not digital off-air. My most recent problem is that one of the recievers picks up sat. channels fine, but the local off-air digital channels go on and off at their own free will. This is a reciever issue, trust me. Has any one else had trouble with these?
I don't know this for a fact, but I have a theory. The amplification circuitry for picking up OTA HDTV signals is much different from that for satellite TV. The LNAs of a satellite dish do much of the amplication of the signal, and the signal is purer (no multipath, etc.). Actually, pulling the HDTV signal from a household RF antenna is more complex, and my guess is that the circuitry is MUCH more susceptible to heat. Heat in a circuit can change resistance, which can change amplifier gains, etc.

Having a Samsung 160, I know for a fact that these units run HOT. The heat buildup has no effect on the sat TV circuitry, but may be significantly effecting the OTA circuit. As the unit heats, the reception degrades. Unplugging the unit or let it cool down, and everything is fine. My recommendation is to get a PC fan (or two), and mount it to the top of the unit to help dissipate the heat. And DON'T keep the unit in a closed cabinet.

Just a theory....

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin
Mine would pick up local DT stations for about 30 minutes, then lose them...
Which one are you referring to? A Samsung TS160 or Hughes E86?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
I haven't had OTA problems with the TS160, but I did with the Hughes E86. Go figure....

I think both of these boxes might have problems if ventilation is restricted in any way. If stacked with other components, they should always be "on top". And a fan definitely helps the E86.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.