AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a Samsung SIR-TS160 from the D* $99 offer which has locked up twice. It appears to be locking up in a different way than what has already been noted on this forum. Other lockup issues seem to be tied to users changing channels. My issue seems to appear when it is fixed on a channel.

Two times within my first week of ownership, the unit has completely locked up. The unit was tuned to OTA channels both times this occurred. The first time was after leaving the unit for 1-2 hours, the second time it occurred was overnight.

When I went to use the unit after the lockup, the following symptoms occurred:

• The unit was completely locked up with a frozen screen.

• A clicking sound was coming out of my speakers

• There was not functionality of the unit (i.e. - no ability to change

channels, bring up menus, etc.)

• I had to reboot the unit by unplugging it.

Any suggestions? I called the Samsung number listed on the Samsung hardware forum and was told it was likely a hardware issue and to call D*. I am a little concerned in that I would not want to receive a refurb unit so soon.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2Curious

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had my TS-160 for about 1 year, and have experienced the same problem. It only happens when tuned to OTA, and typically happens overnite. It seems that if you lose OTA signal for a period of time, unit locks up, as you have also experienced. What I have done as a work around is to tune to any satellite channel prior to leaving for extended period of time. Not the best solution, but better than spending 3-4 minutes while the system reboots. I can't wait for HD-DirecTiVo!

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You need to look at the Samsung thread that is about a year old and all of your questions will be answered there. Use the search function. This is not a new problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Get a 120mm AC fan and zip tie it to the top. Point the fan so it blows air out of the receiver. My guess is that your constantly running the receiver? I have 24 ts-160's in use right now and have had many similar issues. You can't turn the receiver off with the remote when it freezes can you? Trust me, the fan will work and you will never have another problem again! You can buy them for $20 @ RadioShack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.