AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post much...but I read these treads....so I just want to put my 02 cents in on the Samsung SIR-TS160 for what it's worth....I have 3 HD recievers hook up with Directv....Zenith 520...Hughes HTL and the Samsung SIR-TS160... 1st - The Samsung HD picture is as good as my other 2 receivers... 2nd- The Samsung SD picture is good...but the Zenith is a little sharper...the Hughes to me is about the same as the Samsung... 3rd - The Samsung is a lot faster in changing channels and custom setup with caller ID 4th-The only problem I had with this unit....is the lockup issue....but that only happens when tune to a weak ota signal..This unit pulls in all my local digital channels and when I took out the weak channels the lockup issue went away 5th-This samsung does not have any audio drops like my hughes... In closing..for $ 99.00 that it cost me from Directv...it is a great buy...so take which ever receiver D sends you and be happy....after all we are talking about High Def...The Samsung does not take a back seat to my other receivers....if I had to cancel 1 of my 3 receivers it would be my Hughes HLT...The Samsung SIR-TS160 is a work horse....BE HAPPY....Don

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have the same lockup problem with the Zenith 1080 when I turn to a OTA station that loses signal for more than a few secondas, the box locks, shuts down and then goes into a restart. Takes about three minutes to get its memory back.

Bill

·
Registered
877 Posts
I haven't seen any troubles with my 160 yet. Has performed flawlessly.

I was quite impressed that the 160 was much faster at scrolling through menu's and guides etc. Channel changes are almost instant compared to my 2 yr old RCA receivers.

I was also glad that it had a digital coax connection in addition to the toslink.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just got this by Fedex, I already have a Triple LNB dish so I didn't want to wait for the installer to come next Monday and hooked it up. I have a 30" Sony XBR Wide Screen TV and have the HDVI input which is input 7 on the Sony. I hooked up the Samsung to the Sony and I only get Audio. I reconnected the wires and hooked it up using input 4 composite and I get Video and Audio over there. After 2 minutes a message pops up on the composite saying something about HDCP and law doesn't allow showing on non HDCP TV's but I checked my Sony Manual and it says it does have DHCP. I go to the back of the Samsung manual in trouble shooting and it says this:

Q: I do not see any video with my TV connected to the DVI OUT jack.

A: If your TV TV has a DVI input jack, but is not HDCP compatible you may not be able to view video from your DIRECTV Hight-Definition Receiver's DVI OUT jack. You need to connect your TV using one of the other video output jack on the DIRECTV HD Receiver.

This is a brand new Sony from October for $1,800 so it has all the newest stuff and says it has HDCP. Can anyone give me any ideas how to get this working?

-Joe

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
D* was testing HDCP on channel 201 (D* News or Basics Channel). If you turn your tv on and your tuner is tuned to that channel you will get the HDCP non-compliant message. However, if your Samsung is tuned to another station when you turn on the tv you shouldn't get that message. And then you can turn to 201 without a getting the message (which means everything is actually HDCP compliant). I think this is a little flaw in the software. I have the Samsung/Sony combination also. Are you having this problem exclusively with channel 201? If you're having it with another channel then you definitely have a different problem. PM me if you need more help.

·
Registered
190 Posts
:eek: Doh! I'm an idiot lol, it was a little switch in the back that lets you choose the output to use. I guess you can only use one output at a time and it was set to the Component instead of the DVI/RGB.

-Joe

·
Registered
564 Posts
Have a weird quirk today. No HD Channels, no 110 Sat on the T-160, but the signal is rock solid on the rest of my units in the house.

22KHz toner gone bad in my T160? Adds channels, then when you tune it, it locks up then re-starts.

Can't be a cable, the rest of the transponders are rock solid on all other receivers in the house as well as on the T-160. It's just the HD Feeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Skyboss,go into dish setup and make sure you have selected oval dish...also try auto select.....you may have already did this..this is all I can thing of...just trying to help

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just got the Samsung SIR-TS160 a few days ago and hooked it up. I have loved it so far and just ran into the first problem today. When on 85 PPVH it says Press OK for ordering information when you first get to the channel. If I hit ok it crashes and restarts and has to aquire guide data. I tried it a second time and the same thing all over again. Anyone know why this happens? Is there any way to fix this?

-Joe

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Do you get any even transponders for SAT B? If not, then your STB is indeed not sending out a 22Khz signal or the connection to the multiplex is not receiving it. You need 18VDC and 22KHz for even transponders on the combined Sat B & C which have been combined out of the triple lnb dish. I'm sure you're probably aware of this but just thought I would add it to make sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.