AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gather from searching the forums that the SIR-TS360 can be configured to only be used as an ATSC receiver with no Directv signal feed. My question is, are there any significant operational issues in doing this. I am considering setting my mother up with one of these to improve her OTA reception by letting her get digital signals in our area instead of just analog (Near N/W chicago area).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am watching a few units on Ebay.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply on the access card. Guess it makes sense.

As for alternatives, I am amazed at how few alternatives are available here in Chicago given the number of digital OTA stations we have. I get my OTA using a Dishnetwork 811. Given the time frame for giving back the analog bandwidth you would think you would be seeing hardware in the $100 to $150 range or cheaper to do this. But there is nothing. The closest is the US Digital at Walmart. Guess I'll take another look at that one.

Thanks again.

Tim

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
hmmmm... i got mine working with no card and no directv service. You must configure the dish to NO DISH. OTA works (at least for me it did).

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
hmmmm... i got mine working with no card and no directv service. You must configure the dish to NO DISH. OTA works (at least for me it did).
What you said. I used mine for several months in that configuration with no problems.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So looks like the verdict is that it can be used without DirectTV. I moved and am in the process of putting everything back together. I want to go HTPCless with the new setup though. Is there a better option that this for what I want to do, any help is greatly appreciated. I only....

1) play DVDs

2) Watch cable

3) some Xbox

4) Would like to get OTA digital (Cols OH) but it isn't a requirement.

It would be nice to have all output go to the projector from the same source, than I would only have to setup 1 source input.

Thanks again,

Jeremie

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ryan311
This unit will not work without an access card installed and service from directv. I've already tried this.
That's not correct.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Jeremie,

What is your projector? If it's an ECP Crt, than no, I don't know of a single STB that can do all of the things you want with a vga output. I'm using the 360 with an NEC CRT (VGA ->5bnc) and it works great! OTA HD is awesome, and free.

The one trick may be finding a store that will sell it with no DTV subscription, but they are certainly out there. BTW, I am using mine with no DTV subscription. I think there's a lot of confusion about this, including the people eselling these that say you have to get the subscription for the unit to work.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
whoops - two more things...

The unit outputs pos sync - don't know if an ECP takes this or not. If not, a simple sync converter is needed.

What resolution can you resolve? A unit that only outputs 480p may have a problem as the selection switch cycles thru all resolutions - it may be bad to feed it too high of a signal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Marshall F,

*This is all according to the manual*

The maxium res is 1280 * 1024

In the Video Inputs section is says....

-Automatically switches to seperate sync or sync on green

-Seperate sync is automatically accepted in either polarity

does this answer your concerns? I'm not sure.

As for DirectTV, there are several of the units on ebay and they don't care who they sell too. :)

I really hope this works, I really don't want to use a HTPC.

Thanks for your other replies,

Jeremie

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Jeremie - You have about the same specs as mine - and it works great!

Make sure you get the access card with a used unit... A poster above said you don't need it, but I think you do.

Otherwise you'll be set, you just need a vga -> 5bnc cable.., an antenna, DVD player.

Also, there are some stores that will sell it sans subscription. I'd just feel better buying it from somplace I could return if it fails.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I just lost D* due to no line of sight, back to cable.

Tried using box w/0 dish (even setting to no dish) and still can't boot up and get stuck on the "installation" menu.

Any suggestions? (PS I don't have my DVI cable hooked up as previously, just a video cable.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just did some experimenting with my Samsung TS-360. Here is what I found.

1. You absolutely need an access card

2. You do not need any dish hooked up to the stb.

When the installation screen comes up, go ahead and hit the select on the remote or on the box itself. Go into the setup -> installation -> set dish -> select dish type. Use the up and down cursor buttons on the remote or box so it says "no dish". Then use the right cursor button so the select GUI widget is highlighted. Then hit the select button. The box should now infom you that it will reboot. Now you will have an OTA ATSC tuner and 480i/p to 720p/1080i converter.

Later,

Doug

·
Registered
419 Posts
This is great news. I just cancelled D* as I don't watch tv all that much anymore, but wanted to keep my OTA HD.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvreid
I just did some experimenting ...
Thanks Doug!

Seems like I got locked up after the no dish selection point. I'll go home and try that tonight!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doug,

Thanks a lot. I also had D* HD receiver. I tried your instructions last night and it worked like a charm. I just have to hook up my audio tonight and I'll be in business.

·
Registered
50 Posts
DaveF,

You would need to be a lot more specific on your setup. Are you using digital audio or just analog? There is an audio menu in the setup area that can affect what goes out on the digital audio interface. It could be related, but it is difficult to debug w/o more information.

DR

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Doug,

I was able to use the box based on your instructions. Thanks.

I can now get OTA digital. I had hoped to be able to tune in my digital cable channels, but for some reason the box cannot pick up those digital channels on a scan (Time Warner channels numberd 200+). Tried connecting cable to both ANT and CABLE inputs and did multiple scans. I am surprised since my new Samsung HLR5067 is able to find those channels.

Anyhow, thanks, I know have a spare OTA tuner.

Dan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.