AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Samsung OTA box and attached it to my Toshiba 50HX81. I set the samsung to 1080 in the back of the unit.

If I watch a football game / baseball game, the top of the picture is cut off so much that I can't see the line with the play information. The only adjustment afforded me is on the Samsung unit and that is of no help.

I thought if I ran the output of the Samsung at 1080 then I should see the entire picture.

If I set the output to 480 then when I do the picture stretch, it is not centered on the screen with the left side have a black bar.

What is the best way to use these two units together?

I am in Chicago are and the games in question were on Fox which I believe is 1080.

Are the broadcasters cropping the shot to fit 1080?

Also,

How do I tell if a show is a true HD 1080 show?

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Registered
170 Posts
Marshallh, I have the SIRT150 and Tosh 50h81. I can give you a quick breakdown of my settings.

I leave the SIRT150 set to 1080 as well, connected via component output. I actually set the TV size as 4:3 and this allows me to zoom in or use full mode throught the Samsung. If I set it to 16:9 it does not let me do this. I have only noticed losing the edges of the picture when zooming. I believe that you can only use the Toshiba pic size adjustment if you set the SIRT to output 480P. You might just have to keep getting up and sliding the switch as you switch between 480P 4:3 and 1080 material.

Also, I do not believe that FOX is broadcasting 1080 yet, but I know if a signal is received 1080i/ 720p because the program will fill the screen (even though set to 4:3) and the Sirt will not allow me to change aspect ratios at all. As far as I can tell, even the extreme gurus here can not always tell whether a show is native 1080 or not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe your local Fox station is the culprit. No, I should say the incompatibility between the signal and the T150 is the problem. Mine (Detroit WJBK Fox2) was the same until they changed their signal format. They used to send out some weird signal that would be severely stretched (like what you see) in the 1080i mode on T150, but looked just fine on other stbs (RCA DTC100 etc.). If I switched T150 to 480p + 4:3 out, it would looked fine. WJBK has fixed this problem without me doing anything to T150.

Write/call your local Fox station and tell them this incompatibility problem and ask them to talk to other fox affiliates and Samsung to solve the problem.

BTW, to see true 1080i 16x9 HDTV, watch CBS and ABC.

Good Luck.

Hal

·
Registered
189 Posts
There may be rare exceptions at the independent station level, but Fox' standard is 480p/60. They do not transmit 1080i.

If you connect the SIR-T150 to your plasma as an RGBHV signal, you may gain access to horizontal and vertical size/placement controls.

I have tested several 50" plasma panels and they all support 1080i as RGBHV signals. Those include the new Fujitsu PDS-5002, Panasonic PT-50PD3U, and Pioneer PRO-1000HD. The Toshiba panel is an OEM product - most likely Panasonic, or the 5002 which is Panasonic glass with Fujitsu drivers.

This may give you the control you want. But, as the other readers have pointed out, some of the Fox stations have stretched or zoomed the images they sent out on their 480p SDTV broadcasts, in effect cropping off part of the image. In that case, there's not much you can do unless you can underscan the transmitted image.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.