AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who has this unit or knows about this unit.

I have a couple questions. This base information regards to my questions. I have a widescreen TV and and samsung set-up to output 1080i and have the aspect option set to full. Heres my 2 questions below.

1.) since the box is set to output 1080i would I have to change it to view ABC or FOX which do 720p or 480p or would it receive it and upconvert the picture and display it at 1080i.

2.) assuming question 1 is that it will my question would be if I'm recieving lets say FOX Digital signal thats not broadcast in thier widescreen format would the box display it with black bars on the left and right sides or would the box fill the screen using the full aspect setting. Also If I'm watching lets say a movie on ABC thats in OAR would there be a way to fill the screen to get the black bars off the top and bottom of my screen. Thanks for any help anyone can provide me to these questions.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
1) The Samsung STB will convert all input formats to the selected output format (1080i in your example)

2) Its up to the local station how it formats non-16:9 aspect ratio material. Some stations use black side-bars for 4:3 upconverted programs, others do a zoom/crop to almost fill the 16:9 image area say 14:9 aspect. For a letterboxed movie, the black bars are part of the 16:9 image area - so no, you can't get rid of them if your TV has no zoom/crop in HD mode. Just view it in OAR - thats the way its supposed to be viewed!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for your help. That was what I need to know is if the movie had those black bars as part of the image.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.