AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a new Samsung Smart UN65F8000AF LED 3D TV.

I also have a Sony 3D Blueray player, Motorola HD Cable Box and a HD Satellite receiver. Although each of these components is only a year or two old none of them have 2 HDMI out connections.

Because I was having issues with the HDMI Board in my Onkyo TX-SR707. I hooked these components to the HDMI connections on the Smart TV then ran a Digital Audio cable from the TV to the Onkyo 707. I know that only gave me 2 channel sound though the Onkyo but it was the only way to use the Onkyo.

My new 929 arrived yesterday.

While reviewing the two manufacturers set-up guides as I expected each has their own recommendation of how to connect components in a home theater style up.

Samsung recommends connecting all of the separate components to the Smart TV and relying on the ARC and/or a Digital Audio connection to the Onkyo for sound while Onkyo recommends connecting everything to the receiver.

I have no experience with ARC connections.

However I do not want another scenario like the Digital Audio cable gave me where there were only 2 channels of sound.

What do folks think is the best way to go?

·
Premium Member
93,254 Posts
Connecting your sources to the AVR will generally provide the best audio quality (certainly with the BDP). The best that cable boxes can do is only DD 5.1 and most newer TVs can pass DD 5.1 over the optical audio ouput, but again, using the AVR as an HDMI switch is generally much less complicated providing there are no HDMI handshake issues (audio/video dropouts) which is common with cable/sat boxes when connected directly to the AVR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts