AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The set up: Samsung F6400, Asus n66u(N9000) WiFi router and WD my passport 750GB HDD. Hard disk is connected to WiFI router with enabled DNLA server (Samba) on it.

The problem: Sometime it's very hard to make Samsung to see updated files on the shared HDD. Usually it takes several minutes to see the adjustment that I made on HDD, but sometimes it takes a day or two. I tried turning off/on TV and router but it seems that Samsung caches the files and it's very hard to make it to update the file list.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Asus n66u has a known issue with its DLNA server application in that it can have problems accessing a file it stores on the USB HDD, which it uses to maintain the media library. This is because there is a bug in the router's firmware, which can sometimes deny the router's applications access to files stored in USB drives not formatted for the Linux EXT3 file system (the router uses Linux as its operating system). Your WD USB HDD comes with the standard Windows NTFS file format, so would explain the problem you are having.

There are solutions to this problem, but it requires you to be confident in being able to use Linux (& Windows), installing custom firmware on the router, mess about with the partitions on your HDD, formatting it, etc.

Incidentally, UPnP/DLNA has nothing to do with Samba (aka SMB aka Windows network file/folder sharing) and they totally are different ways of accessing files over the network.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Does formatting the drive into EXT3 help ?

You could plug the USB HDD into your PC, download Gparted and boot that then format the USB drive into EXT3 file system, plug it back into the Asus and fingers crossed no more problem. Alternatively use linux live usb creator, this gives you a full working linux os running from USB flash drive, download Ubuntu ISO image then use this on it and boot. In Ubuntu search for disk utility that is their disk formatting tool and that will make the drive EXT3.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Should work, Alx330, but will have the issue of having an EXT3 formatted USB drive, which is likely to give problems using it with other devices in the future. The 'elegant' (but much more involved) solution resizes the original NTFS partition, leaving a large enough space for a small EXT3 partition just for the media server's maintenance use. The NTFS one would thus still be there for 'normal' data use for the media files, etc, see:
forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=9965

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the advices guys! If there is any external HDD compatible with this router? I was about to buy new one as WD my passport was used just to see if the whole set up works.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have filed a bug fix with Samsung with this issue, but I'm not holding my breadth. My old LN55C630 works fine and refreshes when I make changes to the dlna server.

The F series TV is caching. I also have a Asus router with ex3 drive connected...the partition is not your issue because you can play files. The issue described is REFRESHING media files on the TV from the server.

I finally found a repeatable solution to this annoying 1st-world problem that might help anyone with a new Samsung Tv that makes frequent media updates.

The TV also supports streaming from cloud drives such as skydrive and dropbox. I was thinking about using skydrive as my "New Media" folder that gets frequent updates, as a workaround.

This led to a discovery:

1. Browse skydrive on the TV

2. Start and stop playing media file

3. Go back to browse DLNA server on TV

4. TV refreshes media from server

·
Registered
156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolisD  /t/1524495/samsung-smart-tv-cant-see-updated-files-on-network-hdd#post_24535397

The set up: Samsung F6400, Asus n66u(N9000) WiFi router and WD my passport 750GB HDD. Hard disk is connected to WiFI router with enabled DNLA server (Samba) on it.

The problem: Sometime it's very hard to make Samsung to see updated files on the shared HDD. Usually it takes several minutes to see the adjustment that I made on HDD, but sometimes it takes a day or two. I tried turning off/on TV and router but it seems that Samsung caches the files and it's very hard to make it to update the file list.

Any suggestions?

It is a PITA to do but restarting the DLNA Media Server software running on the NAS/Router should fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
It is a PITA to do but restarting the DLNA Media Server software running on the NAS/Router should fix it.

I tried that couple of times - no luck.

Quote:

The F series TV is caching. I also have a Asus router with ex3 drive connected...the partition is not your issue because you can play files. The issue described is REFRESHING media files on the TV from the server.

I finally found a repeatable solution to this annoying 1st-world problem that might help anyone with a new Samsung Tv that makes frequent media updates.

The TV also supports streaming from cloud drives such as skydrive and dropbox. I was thinking about using skydrive as my "New Media" folder that gets frequent updates, as a workaround.

This led to a discovery:

1. Browse skydrive on the TV

2. Start and stop playing media file

3. Go back to browse DLNA server on TV

4. TV refreshes media from server

Exactly, the issue is with the TV not with the router. How can I access skydrive on the TV. I never used it before?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I now run a script to restart the dlna server

Samsung sucks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also found simple workaround. Once I upload new files on HDD I just simply change HDD's network name, then the TV thinks it's a new drive and syncs the files. It works fine if do not upload new files too often.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts