AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the last several days searching far and wide for info, reviews, and details on these two brands. (specifically the Samsung HL-TXX87S/89S and the Sony KDS-XXa2020 models) I've had a chance to look at the sony's in person (very nice) and from all the reads on the samsung, I believe it to be near equal in Pic quality to the sonys. (near enough for me anyway)

I could ask for suggestions about which to by from now until forever and probably never get a definitive answer, so instead I've narrowed it down to a few brand specific questions that I haven't been able to find answers to else where.

So If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Ok, So let's start with the Samsung first...

Is the only difference between the 87S and the 89S models pic-in-pic and HDMI 1.3 on the 89S? Any other key differences I might be missing? is it really worth the extra $700-800 + for the 89's extra features?

I own a MX-950 Remote. I just updated my code library and the HLT model codes are not in it yet (I'm sure it will given a month or so), but does anyone know if these sets have discreet codes for things such as inputs, Pwr- on, Pwr-off, etc...

(I assume they do but I want to be positive.)

What about 1080p/24 signals? I know the 5679s had problems with it. Have the T models corrected this? If so, does anyone have any first hand comments of how well they are displayed? I'm going to be purchasing an Oppo 980HD for 1080p upconversion regardless of which brand tv I pick. Anyone else using this player? Comments?

And The Sony...

HDMI inputs. Which version? 1.1? 1.3? Haven't been able to find any specifics. on which it has.

How does the Sony handle 1080p24? I asked the sales guy at a local store and he looked at me like I was speakin greek.

And one last Rhetorical question, of sorts...

I've been looking at the the 50" - 55" models. I have a very modular home built stand that would fit a 50" perfect and, with some creative re-engineering could fit anything bigger fairly easy. My room isn't all that big though, and sitting distance is going to be anywhere from 8' to 10'. All other things being equal between the two brands, would I be crazy to purchase a 56" samsung for x amount if I could also purchase a 60" sony for nearly the same price? In one sense I like it big. I'm used to watching shows on a 110" screen, but since my former light controlled basment theater room flooded and I don't dare put anything electronic back down there till winter I wonder if 4" is really that big of deal. hmmmm...

Anyway. I know whichever set I pick will be great, I'm just looking for some hard data to tip the scale in one direction or the other... If I can't find that, I guess I'll have to start flippin coins.

Any other key things I might be forgetting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish I could help. I was in a similar situation between Panasonic, Samsung, but recently bought a Philips that was just too cheap to pass up. Hope I don't get what I paid for. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The Sony has HDMI 1.1, and won't do 1080p24. It has 2 HDMI inputs vs the Samsung's 3. Frankly if all you look at is specs the Samsung appears to be a better tv.

That being said I work in a Sears electronics dept. and have plenty of time on slow days to play with these sets and look at them long enough to get past first impressions.

The Sony just plain looks better to me, with a more solid looking image.

I'd make an analogy to automobiles--Some makes seem to really have their act together as far as technical specifications and features, with 6 or even 7 speed transmissions and all the other things that are buzzwords in the industry but when you actually get in and drive them they just aren't as pleasing to drive as other makes that "on paper" should be inferior, and many of the "advanced features" are useless, difficult to operate, and trouble prone.

From my observations the Samsungs are technical marvels with their LED light engines and advanced input capability but when you just sit and watch them the picture has too much video noise on less than perfect signals, the black bars on the sides when watching 4/3 stuff are bowed in at the center, and the colors are cartoonishly overblown.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It came down to these two sets for me as well, and I got the Sony. It did cost a little more but it flat-out looked better to me, and by a fairly significant margin. It also appeared to me that the Samsung was a bit more problematic, but that's just the impression I got from my research (ie, I don't have any hard numbers to back up my impression).

Now that I've had my Sony for several months with no issues, I can say confidently that I'd make the same decision over again.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
These are both excellent displays, and they each have their pros and cons. Samsung came out on top (Sony came in 4th) of a recent 1080p shootout at Home Theater. But all that matters is which looks better to your eyes (which may be different from what others recommnd).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... I broke down this afternoon. I now have a nice 55" KDS55A2000 sitting in my living room. I eventually came to the decision that since there was no way to do a side by side comparison, the features were so close, and even then I probably wouldn't be able to tell a huge difference without watching each for multiple hours on end I was best off buying locally rather than risking a X-country freight trip with no guarantee I'd like the tv. The unit I bought was the 2000 and not the 2020. After researching and a talking to the sales guy, it seemed the only real dif between the two is the color of the case. That and about $800... locally anyway. All they had left was the floor model, (bout a 1000 hours of use over 4 months) but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks for them to get in a New in box one. Plus this ones good and broke in and I know it's free of defects. If not, It's got a full warranty which I paid $180 to extend to three years full service... including one free bulb replacement. Figured that made the extra warranty worth it alone. All in all, with tax and warranty I walked out with the set for less than $2300, which is more than I would have paid online, but well worth the money for the peace of mind that I won't have to spend a lot of time and money on returns exchanges and repairs that are more likely with a an ID company and the shipping companys.

Oh ya... I got them to throw in a free 8 foot Hdmi cable too...

*in best Borat voice* "Very Nice... Great Success!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.