AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Samsung and Sony are being discussed to create a new lcd company such as the Lg-Philips. Samsung and Sony joint venture will own limited part of Samsung's new 7G plant and rest of plant will be owned by Samsung.

This is the win-win project for the both company says joins .com sony secured to have the world's best quality lcd panels for their FPDs and Samsung is reducing the risk of their new $16.5B 7G plant.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My lord, $16.5 billion?

That would be the most expensive semiconductor equipment / clean-room display fab of any kind -- ever -- if I am not mistaken.

What a ton of money!

Bye bye, CRT.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have not been too impressed with samsungs video processing(in dlp, lcd or plasma), but damn they make some nice computer lcd's. If they could combine their lcd panels with sony's video processing that would be a sweet deal.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamie571
I have not been too impressed with samsungs video processing(in dlp, lcd or plasma), but damn they make some nice computer lcd's. If they could combine their lcd panels with sony's video processing that would be a sweet deal.
The widescreen LCD in my Dell laptop is very nice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Official Sony Japan comment (22/9/2003) on this issue -->
http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/News/...922/index.html

Above Sony official news says Sony is considering investment of LCD business with many other companies including Samsung, but there is no determination on this issue up to now.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
My lord, $16.5 billion?

That would be the most expensive semiconductor equipment / clean-room display fab of any kind -- ever -- if I am not mistaken.

What a ton of money!
I would say $3 billion at max. Their semiconductor plants costs roughly $2.5 billion, how in the world can their LCD plants cost $16.5 billion???

From what I've read, the $16.5 billion figure is the total expenditure over the next 7 years (2010 if I'm not mistaking) in LCD production plants alone.

In regard to the "sleeping with the enemy" title, Samsung and Sony have other joint ventures such as Memory Stick production which Samsung just started with an official contract. Back in 2001, they only signed a memorandum of agreement from which Samsung produced all the memory chips inside MS's. But with this contract, it looks like the MS format might have a chance against the SD memory card format since they are now bound to be incorporated into Samsung's whole line-up of products.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ocrash,

Nowhere it says "... new $16.5B 7G plant" Don't make things up.

This is a total investment (plant construction, equipment, materials, labor cost, marketing cost, etc., etc.) of the venture through year 2010.

Mike

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sony net released english news :

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...0309/03-0922E/

September 22, 2003

Statement on Media Reports Concerning Establishment of LCD Joint Venture between Samsung and Sony

Several media reports appeared today which stated that Samsung and Sony were considering the establishment of a Joint Venture for LCD business.

Sony is currently in discussion with a number of parties including Samsung regarding an investment in LCD business. At this point a final decision has not been reached.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
VBS, et al. thanks for the clairifcation. It sounded like too much for one plant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.