AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I seen this at the show and wasn't all that impressed, I thought the Optoma 8200 threw a better picture as well as the new LED Vivitek, jmho.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello

Having personally seen this front projector at CES 2009; it is easily the benchmark of all front projectors available. How anyone having seen it's remarkable picture quality could disagree, is beyond my comprehension; hardly something debatable.

At CES 2009, it was on display at the Da-Lite booth on the new ground breaking Da-Lite JKP Productions Affinity .9 screen, which was specifically designed to reflect the full performance of this remarkable front projector; this particular screen re-defining state-of-the-art in screen technology.

Both the Samsung SP-A900B DLP single-chip Dark Chip 4 front projector and the Da-Lite Da-Lite JKP Productions Affinity .9 screen, easily redefine high definition resolution and color fidelity.

This is indisputably the state-of-the-art today in front projection, with few rivals available; only a handful come to mind, each the pinnacle of their respective technology.

Irrespective of technology, Joe Kane has designed a projector unequaled in calibration, being extremely detailed in this regard. It is extremely obvious, it's unique capabilities in both easy set up [by capable professionals] and the depth of available performance.

And now, with the Da-Lite JKP Productions Affinity .9 screen, both designed by Joe Kane of Joe Kane Productions [JKP], both in conjunction are breathtaking to experience.

If you are seriously considering a front projection system for home theater or otherwise; to not go to whatever lengths required, to arrange to see it first hand, would be simply irresponsible to yourself.

It has so many ground breaking issues to it's design, which would require considerable time here, and I have limited time, that further research into this pair is highly recommended.

I do hope that this information is helpful to anyone with a serious interest in quality high definition display.

Thank You

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Joe is showing the projector and screen at the show in Orlando. The show ends tomorrow. I suspect Joe is not using a production version of the screen but I don`t know. I have seen some test data from a recent production version and I think there may be some gain uniformity issues in need of further work The screen used by Joe at Cedia and CES obviously is fantastic and exhibited no visual gain ununiformity. But translating to production .... we shall see. Further whether the consumer market will support a single chip DC4 machine at $15K MSRP is quite another issue. The same machine with a DC2 chip was and is $10K. I think to be a market success the DC4 machine needs to have a MSRP of $10K or a little over.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas /forum/post/15639091

I seen this at the show and wasn't all that impressed, I thought the Optoma 8200 threw a better picture as well as the new LED Vivitek, jmho.

I agree with you Chris. I was there and thought the Optoma, epson and even the Panasonic looked better. Maybe my expectations were too high and when I wasn't blown away I felt dissappointed.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I spent about three hours viewing this machine on the prototype Da-lite screen. Inall aspects except ultimate black levels it is superb. Its colrimetry is dead on and iy is easy for anyone with a high quality spectrometer to make it perfect. Twelve readings, plug them in, and bingo. On test patterns wow. The DI is decent but perhaps not SOTA. But Joe recommends not using it because like any other DI it will screw up the colorimetry and has some brightness compression. The delinterlacing and scaling of video may not be SOTA either but for owners of how quality video processsors such as the Radiance this can easily be made SOTA. SOTA being the Silicon Optix one owned by Alan G the trade off from less of than digital SOTA blacks (the JVC RS20) is getting everything else which the JVC certain;y doesn't do. The lens in the Samsung is superb abd so is the colorimetry. I should qualify things by not challenging much higher price three chip DLPs with superior lense that cost over $6K themselves..

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/16039387

I spent about three hours viewing this machine on the prototype Da-lite screen. Inall aspects except ultimate black levels it is superb. Its colrimetry is dead on and iy is easy for anyone with a high quality spectrometer to make it perfect. Twelve readings, plug them in, and bingo. ..

Actually, it's four readings, twelve pieces of data: xyY for RGBW, check contrast/brightness/color, which should be right if the source is accurate, and that's it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
15k is way too much.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
This post presents endorsements from uncompromising professional users of the previous model. The 900 performs even better than its sibling: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15980742 . Pricing for both models is a bargain for such levels of imaging excellence.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Any review of this machine as yet folks ?..

Street price or asking price I should say is what?..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6500Ken /forum/post/16226914

The SP-A900B will be available in May at a MSRP of $10,000

Ken Whitcomb

Hey Ken,

This wasn't the projector that you brought over to our shop was it? Was it the previous version?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Ken`s busy doing a calibration tonight. I do believe it was Ken`s SP-A800B. We know have two threads going on the SP-A900B. Perhaps the mods can combine them.

Bottom line. Don`t look for US reviews until mid May.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts