AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to get a new Samsung SP-A900B DLP projector locally for far, far less than the price it was released at (which was $3000+, hence why I'm posting here). However, since it has been out for nearly five years, I was wondering if this projector was still worth getting, especially if there were some other projectors in the under $3000 category that might outperform it given the advance of technology.

Anybody know how this projector stacks up to the current models?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinking about 100 inches and 1.0 gain. I currently don't have a projector.

Edit: Or a screen for that matter. Going to be getting both.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The only caveat I will throw out is if Samsung still supports this model under warranty. If they never replaced it you may be SOL if they no longer carry parts or have spare units available to support the warranty.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Found this review

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/samsung-sp-a900b?page=0,2
Quote:
the projector delivered a contrast ratio of 5,492:1, which is pretty good performance for a projector with its auto iris deactivated.

I'd say that's quite an outstanding number for a DLP. The tests in this magazine look reliable, they usually have about 2000:1 or less without iris in a regular DC3 DLP.

·
Registered
16,797 Posts
Excellent PJ with a stunning image but I would say a smart purchase would obviously have to depend upon the price and condition of the unit (hours used, smoke free environment).

Also be sure lamps are easy to obtain and cost effective if needed.

Jason

·
Registered
651 Posts
[quote name="DaGamePimp" url="/t/1454184/samsung-sp-a900b-still-a-decent-projector#post_22880002"

Also be sure lamps are easy to obtain and cost effective if needed.

Jason[/quote]

Bulbs are only 125$ online at one location and usually 160$ elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great, thanks for the replies.

I've got okay from my wife as long as I sell the TV we have and the camera I currently don't use. Selling those will be the real trick.

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLindberg  /t/1454184/samsung-sp-a900b-still-a-decent-projector#post_22876717

I have an opportunity to get a new Samsung SP-A900B DLP projector locally for far, far less than the price it was released at (which was $3000+, hence why I'm posting here). However, since it has been out for nearly five years, I was wondering if this projector was still worth getting, especially if there were some other projectors in the under $3000 category that might outperform it given the advance of technology.

Anybody know how this projector stacks up to the current models?

i'm a little bit confused,it's for $12,999.99

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Samsung+SP-A900B

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLindberg  /t/1454184/samsung-sp-a900b-still-a-decent-projector#post_22881761

I said in my post I can find it new locally for a discounted price. I do not live in the US.
sorry,I was only commenting on the $3000 quote,you misunderstand me.

a 12000 is not the same as 3000,so i was asking for an explanation for the big gap?,not necessarily from you,maybe other guys.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I've been looking to get my hands on one for a decent price. I'm thinking it's about time I ditch the Marantz VP-11S1 I have and move up to this much brighter unit. Considering it has an equally nice lens (some would even argue a step nicer) than that of the custom Konica Minolta Lens on the Marantz, plus better control over color and gamma I think that this unit is probably the best single chip 1080p DLP unit made to date. It's bright enough to drive much larger screens than the Marantz and the iris can be used in either a manual mode or a dynamic mode. Considering I'm a sharpness and motion freak, this is the holy grail for me. At least until a single chip 4K unit comes out that trounces the specs of this one. But I have a feel that is a few years off. With that said; I'm on the lookout!

·
Banned
10,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering  /t/1454184/samsung-sp-a900b-still-a-decent-projector/0_50#post_22884742

Best in terms of accuracy but I liked the Planar 8150 more.

Hmmm, considering I own the PD8150 as well (I'm stock pilling awesome single chip DLPs
) I may not waste my time? Basically what I'm looking for is the Planar PD8150 with the sharpness of the Marantz VP-11S1/S2 or the Samsung SP-A900B. Is there such a beast? I'm guessing my answer will sound something like this: "$25000 Sim2 Projector".

The Planar is sharp, don't get me wrong, but the Marantz is noticeably sharper overall.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think that the Planar is definitely an excellent unit. You actually may not see a large difference in viewing the Samsung. I think at the end of the day, it probably depends on what draws you into the picture. Is it sharpness, color accuracy, brightness or some combination of other attributes ? In my opinion, the Samsung unit is one of the very best single chip DLP projectors. It is right up there with the Marantz VP11S2 and the Planar/Runco unit. Where I think the Samsung shines is that the unit throws out a smooth yet extremely sharp image that is well balanced in color. Also it is a fairly bright unit. If this makes any sense, the unit is sharp with a picture that resembles a photo taken from a good camera. It doesn't seem like it has been digitally sharpened in any way.

·
Premium Member
12,511 Posts
The Planar I had was quite sharp but it was also hand picked. I found that the Samsung was really sharp with text but no perceived increase in sharpness with films. Planar had noticeably better contrast and using the custom CMS tool I could get it just about as accurate as the Samsung. The Marantz was good too but gamma and color need adjustment through outboard scalar and contrast was lower than the others. We did a comparison in my room of the Samsung to my JVC RS35 and the JVC trounced it. The only time we could get the Samsung to look better was with PC text and we spent a few hours with lots of material. We even tried stuff that we figured would give the Samsung the over all edge (lots of ANSI). But it does throw a very sharp image.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts