AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Samsung SP-R4232 42" EDTV plasma. It has a built in HD tuner and I am able to view OTA DTV/HD channels on it.

Unfortunately, when viewing OTA DTV/HD broadcast, there are the vertical bars (window box) on the side on the samsung plasma screen. It seems impossible for the TV to stretch the picture to fill the screen when viewing OTA DTV/HD signals. I'm assuming that the source (OTA DTV/HD) is 4:3 and hence the vertical bar is shown as the TV is 16:9.

Questions:

1. When viewing SD OTA (4:3 source), the Samsung is able to stretch to fill the screen. When viewing DirectTV SD 4:3 channels(via S-Video), the TV is also able to stretch to fill the screen. Why not with OTA DTV/HD 4:3 channels? I'm no expert but is there a technical reason for this, or am I doing something wrong(TV settings??)? Note that the panoramic mode picture-size option is NOT available when viewing DTV/OTA mode...

2. Is this behavior (vertical bar when viewing OTA DTV/HD) universally the same for ALL brands of plasma 16:9 TV? Or is this only Samsung?? More importantly, how can I get rid of the vertical bars?

3. Assuming I can't get rid of the vertical bar, how do I prevent burn in? I searched and was told to "change/adjust so that the color of the side bar is grey instead of black"....but how do I adjust the TV to change it to grey? Turning up the contrast or brightness? I thought "breaking in" the plasma means "turning down the contrast/brightness"????

All these HDTV stuff is new to me....and thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Most plasmas will not stretch a 720p or 1080i signal - it will lock the screen in FULL mode. So when you're watching a 4:3 program on the "HD Channels" (like local news or daytime gameshows etc) the broadcaster is adding the black pillarbox bars left and right to the 4:3 image and since it's trapped within an "HD" signal the TV's aspect control is unavailable. Your HD STB may have the ability to stretch or zoom the output on the HD channels though. Some do, some don't.

I would suggest not watching anything with black bars until you get the plasma broken in, then after that try to limit it to like 15% of the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.